• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

35 cent Variant List-Help wanted

904 posts in this topic

Thanks. grin.gif

This one was scanned at 150 dpi, med sharpness, original color, default size, then resized to 5.3, 100 dpi (had to drop dpi for file size) and saved one notch below high sharpness.

For those who had inquired earlier about buying some of these, I've been made a very generous offer for the entire collection. So, the entire collection is for sale after all. I prefer selling it whole, for two reasons, one the potential buyer who approached me wants the entire set, and two, there is the possibility, this could be considered a Pedigree collection. I haven't had the chance to talk with CGC about this yet, but I'm hoping to discuss it with them next week. So, breaking up the set, would probably make it impossible to do. I'm not really familiar with how to do this, but I figured I'd just post the list in the market place and direct people to this thread for the scans and just post all of the scans here.

In case you are wondering about the randomness of the scans, I'm 1st posting the 14 Paul doesn't have and then I'll post requests as they come in, and finally whatever is left. cool.gif

306829-Scan0002.jpg

306829-Scan0002.jpg.3023c75498b10c8772e6eb2385e11f2d.jpg

Next one.

306848-Scan0003.jpg

Tremendous. This is turning out to be quite the find. If I were in your shoes, I would just hold on to these things. As "valuable" as they are, they won't bring you the pedigree label and are the books you bought off the newstand. If you think you regret selling off the first part of your collection, imagine how much you'd regret selling these off.

Keep the photo's coming, and I'll keep updating my site.

Paul

I'm Baaacck!! grin.gif

Still playing around with the scanner. Haven't quite got it right yet. At least, not as good as I want it. wink.gif

307099-Scan0003.jpg

Ouch! That's an ugly one. Well, I want bother to fix this one now. I'll hopefully do better next time. I think I'll keep it as simple as possible and worry about better quality later. Bear with me, not only am I slow, but, I'm also on a slow laptop and dialup!! wink.gif

307099-Scan0003.jpg.2bde766a09db32e92ea87c1939170ebc.jpg

Yes, that image is pretty nice. Thanks for sharing them.

Regarding the whole pedigree thingy, I think Rob covered it pretty well. But I'll add/reiterate/etc anway.

The term "pedigree" is just loosely bandied about by anyone who comes up with a horde of comics and labels them as such. There are no rules, although certain individuals have tried to define what caused previous pedigree labels to stick.

Don't forget, the first step in creating a pedigree is coming up with a catchy name! smile.gif It also helps if you are on your deathbed, or maybe already dead, and someone else "discovers" your collection. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Whether the comics are deemed worthy by the comics collecting "hive mind", as Rob calls it, is an integral step. You basically need to get some buy-in from other collectors or dealers that your collection is worthy, plus keep selling/marketing the comics with the pedigree label. If you are the only person that ever refers to your comics by their pedigree name... well then, you've failed to successfully market them as a pedigree because the hive mind isn't buying it.

Getting CGC or one of the other 3rd party grading companies to agree to label your submitted comics as a pedigree would be a tremendous step in the right direction. That single step will save you significant effort in the marketing/branding of your collection as a pedigree. Once it's on a label and the comics start trading around, the pedigree buzz is assured.

Another step in marketing these as a pedigree would be to get some notoriety beyond this message board. Contact Comics Buyer's Guide and offer to provide photos/scans and to be interviewed. Likewise there are other comics news outlets who you could search out and approach for similar name recognition building.

And finally, I'd venture my $.02 worth that such a one/two-owner collection as yours is worthy of such a designation for being chock full of so many of the Marvel cover price variants in such high grade. The older, lower grade stuff isn't going to carry much weight, but I think that the high grade variants are a tremendous plus that should carry some noteworthiness just by themselves. It certainly is a unique discovery of such a mass of the 35-cent variants!

Good luck!

Well, if I gotta die, I think I'll pass. cool.gif

As far as quality and grade of my other comics. Well, what you see here is about average. I have some better and most of the earliest SAs are a lot worse. But, I'd say these are about average for my entire collection.

As for a name. It would have to be .....

The Cape Fear Pedigree Collection!!! 27_laughing.gif

I grew up in Wilmington, North Carolina. Along the Cape Fear River. Ground Zero for some of the most devasting Hurricanes to hit the east coast. In fact this collection has survived a number of Hurricanes in the past. Maybe I should call it "The Hurricane". grin.gif

But, Cape Fear sounds good. I always get a kick when we are shown on the weather map when a hurricane aproaches. The city of Wilmington isn't even shown on the map most of the time. Just "Cape Fear" - graveyard of the Atlantic. wink.gif

307136-Scan0006.jpg

307136-Scan0006.jpg.d325205b13c885149da27a1eacc1755a.jpg