• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

35 cent Variant List-Help wanted

904 posts in this topic

Without a doubt, and this confirms it, Wilmington was a test market. This is the SECOND 35 cent hoard to come from there - the "Sand Hills" collection that had the CGC 9.6 Godzilla 1 was also from there. Why isn't there a "drooling" avatar! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

And another.

Everyone has been talking about the scans being great, but I haven't heard any comments on possible grades. I wouldn't care to guess myself, for 1 thing, I'm obviously biased, being the owner. But, what do the rest of you folks think? Especially considering alot of these comics have never seen a bag until as little as a few days ago.

307392-Scan0005.jpg

307392-Scan0005.jpg.5bce968404a6aed65bf3964edd0582ac.jpg

1) It's tough to grade from a scan and 2) the scans are too small to note any details on significant flaws...

I've seen a number of spinal flaws and blunted corners already but I can't say for sure the degree of the flaw from the magnification...

here's a size you can scrutinize

msmarvel6var1.jpg

This should be the last of the ones that Paul didn't have.

Any idea of who the owner was of the Sand Hills collection? And who sold it? We have 2 dealers here. Fan Boys and Memory Lane. I know the guy that runs Memory Lane has a huge private collection, around 1/2 million or so, not sure about the owner of Fan Boys.

307402-Scan0001.jpg

307402-Scan0001.jpg.75252f671c8663d9ed13494fffcf73d9.jpg

And another.

Everyone has been talking about the scans being great, but I haven't heard any comments on possible grades. I wouldn't care to guess myself, for 1 thing, I'm obviously biased, being the owner. But, what do the rest of you folks think? Especially considering alot of these comics have never seen a bag until as little as a few days ago.

307392-Scan0005.jpg

They're all up there to this point. It's great seeing these. I'd love to give you some grades, but the scans aren't detailed enough. Still they are nice sharp pics of some great books. More, more, more.

The next 4 were requested. After that, just whatever is nearest at hand.

Ya, that's what I kinda figured about grading. Especially considering I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to scanning. I don't know if I'm making the comics look worse than they are, or better. confused-smiley-013.gif

307408-Scan0002.jpg

307408-Scan0002.jpg.373419afa403993446faa2695fecef34.jpg

Well, I'm gonna take a short break. Be back in 1/2 an hr or so.

I'd say they are all at least 8s, but like I said, I'm biased. I do have one, that's of lesser quality than the rest. I think it's a printing defect, so I'm not sure how that is graded. But, in my opinion, it would easily drop it down to F or VG. I'll scan it right after the requests.

Wow, this find knocks the list down to about a dozen still undiscovered variants if you include the MSH 66, which is not yet listed. Do you still have plans to make a cover scan gallery on the site? I think it would be awesome to see all these covers side-by-side. BTW Howard the Duck 17 is the attachment to the 2nd HTD 15 post by Daethwalker.

Wow, this find knocks the list down to about a dozen still undiscovered variants if you include the MSH 66, which is not yet listed. Do you still have plans to make a cover scan gallery on the site? I think it would be awesome to see all these covers side-by-side. BTW Howard the Duck 17 is the attachment to the 2nd HTD 15 post by Daethwalker.

Oops. foreheadslap.gif

It's fixed. Thanks. wink.gif

Oops. foreheadslap.gif

It's fixed. Thanks. wink.gif

Got them all. Thanks for sharing these with everyone. I also added the Marvel Super-heroes 66 and will make the remainder of the necessary additions this week.

Just a brief announcement that the 35 Cent Kid Colt 220 is on eBay as we speak... as well as 17 other 35c variants I am parting with (reasons explained in my "I'm back" thread).

All are with no reserve.

And FYI, in two weeks I will be seeing another three long boxes from the same original owner collection that contained the Kid Colt. I've picked up 6 variants so far from him, and he had over 40 westerns from 1972-1978 in the three boxes I have seen so far so I know I he was actively buying them. It's just a matter of whether he bought them during the important months...

I want to congratulate Daethwalker on a spectacular find. I'm not very far out on a limb when I say there may never be another original owner collection found with that many 35c variants. Kudos!

Lighthouse - wow, positively flooding the 35 cent variant market. We will see how much cash is out there right now. Are these your lower end 35 centers (with the exceptions of the Kid Colt and Marvel Triple Action)? Have to see how much I will be willing to spend ..... tongue.gif

Lighthouse - wow, positively flooding the 35 cent variant market. We will see how much cash is out there right now. Are these your lower end 35 centers (with the exceptions of the Kid Colt and Marvel Triple Action)? Have to see how much I will be willing to spend ..... tongue.gif

Believe me, it wasn't my first choice to sell, as I explained in the thread. A few of these are duplicates, but several are ones I will have to reacquire down the line. I'm just glad the bidding on the KC took off so quickly. My item description looks nice and prophetic already. smile.gif

Now if I can just convince those guys who hate Darth for selling 10.0 moderns to put me on their website as an example of fleecing the public, I'll be set... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I wish I had had a little more time to write my descriptions. We were busy all afternoon, so only about six of them have my trademark "Lighthouse insanity". The wife laughed out loud at the John Carter description. thumbsup2.gif

Good luck with the auctions, 'house. I'm sure that a good chunk of money will be coming your way from them. It blows my mind that the Colt is the only known 35 cent Western variant. Some one out there's gotta have another --- but where, damn it, where????893frustrated.gif

If you come up with any of the 30 centers I need, let me know. I'll PM you my list.

I wasn't surprised that it was the first one found when I picked it up a year ago. At the time, over half the 35c variants were still not confirmed. But given the fervor surrounding them the last year, and the fact that there are now at least three dozen collectors actively scouring the countryside looking for them, I am a little surprised it's still the only one. It's easy enough for something to go unnoticed when no one is looking. But that's clearly not the case anymore.

I don't doubt that more will be found eventually. But it's apparent that the hard-to-find 35c books are truly scarce.

I'm currently writing my descriptions for my CGC auctions that go up at 7pm Pacific tonight. Based on the response so far, the Marvel Premiere 2 description might be the stuff of legend... sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

Or maybe my customers are just easily amused. stooges.gif