• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market correction , will we see any effect on comics?
7 7

476 posts in this topic

On 6/5/2022 at 3:56 PM, Wolverinex said:

no idea, who the heck wants a Pop?  More plastic to throw in the ocean.  

I have over 400 of them. It's a fun way to display a certain character you love, some of whom are very rarely represented in any kind of toy form, and most are cheap. I love the aesthetic of most of them too.

On 6/6/2022 at 2:39 PM, valiantman said:

This deserves a bump. Comicchron.com is a very cool resource.

On 6/6/2022 at 4:48 PM, JB123 said:

So it's evident new comics aren't dead at all based on numbers. Maybe wavering but the growth has been so huge who cares?

What about total sales figures from heritage and comiconnect etc.......

I am imagining their hard numbers are up as well.

Hakes etc....

Anyone?

Looks like UF 4 9.8s are dropping . The fed's plan to destroy speculators is taking hold.

On 6/11/2022 at 7:14 AM, Wolverinex said:

Looks like UF 4 9.8s are dropping . The fed's plan to destroy speculators is taking hold.

Noticed this last night whilst tracking the value of my personal collection.

Tin Foil Theory -
With the stock market in a downturn / inflation rising these are recent speculators that are 'cashing out' as they bought near the top; thus driving the price lower and lower.
Perhaps they are overleveraged or need the monies to pay bills or to satisfy margin requirements or they are just trying to catch a falling knife...

On 6/11/2022 at 7:14 AM, Wolverinex said:

Looks like UF 4 9.8s are dropping .

Also showing a lot of red "down arrows" on GPA lately (a few minutes search) -- 

Avengers 8, 57;  Captain America 117;  Fantastic Four 48;  Incredible Hulk 180;  Silver Surfer 1;  X-Men 94...

The percentage gives an idea of how the collectible performs compared to other basic assets as a downturn occurs.

If the comics reduce.less than other basic investments then they are actually gaining in value still.

The dollar figure is a mindf........

A person can only do as well as the environment is dictating and we try and outperform it if we can.

If the economy loses twenty percent and the comic loses ten percent then it has actually gained ten percent in a certain fashion. It can be liquidated at current value and then buy more goods than it should etc......

On 6/11/2022 at 9:32 AM, JB123 said:

What kind of percentages we talking?

Nominal or half off?

Some are huge, some not there yet. Anecdotally,  I've purchased UF#4 for almost 40% less than I sold them for last year. While we may not be at the bottom of pricing, the odds were good enough to pick up a few.

Some things have just tanked. For example, Eternals #2 in CGC 9.8 was selling for more in mid 2018 than 3 of them have sold for since 3/20/22. last sale on GPA is about 28% of 2021 GPA averages. While the movie didn't help things, a 40 plus year old book with a pretty significant first appearance seems somewhat less expensive than it should be imo. 

Personally just trying to buy between the cracks. There are a good 50 or more books on my target sheet. Unfortunately, there are books that would surprise me if they recovered to last year's highs for year if ever. There was just so much cash being spent last year.

Edited by the authority

On 6/11/2022 at 11:18 AM, the authority said:

Some are huge, some not there yet. Anecdotally,  I've purchased UF#4 for almost 40% less than I sold them for last year. While we may not be at the bottom of pricing, the odds were good enough to pick up a few.

Some things have just tanked. For example, Eternals #2 in CGC 9.8 was selling for more in mid 2018 than 3 of them have sold for since 3/20/22. 90 day GPA is about 28% of 2021 GPA averages. While the movie didn't help things, a 40 plus year old book with a pretty significant first appearance seems somewhat less expensive than it should be imo. 

Personally just trying to buy between the cracks. There are a good 50 or more books on my target sheet. Unfortunately, there are books that would surprise me if they recovered to last year's highs for year if ever. There was just so much cash being spent last year.

This is a good point.  The market is still robust... I can't keep items in as long as I price them reasonably.  It's just that last summer and fall prices went up so high and so fast it would be expected that there would be some downward movement afterward.  On the other hand, pulp magazines are in a current explosion similar to the past two years in comics... perhaps even more so.  Price escalations of 3x, 5x, and 10x in just the past year or two are not uncommon.

On 6/11/2022 at 11:18 AM, the authority said:

Some things have just tanked. For example, Eternals #2 in CGC 9.8 was selling for more in mid 2018 than 3 of them have sold for since 3/20/22. last sale on GPA is about 28% of 2021 GPA averages. While the movie didn't help things, a 40 plus year old book with a pretty significant first appearance seems somewhat less expensive than it should be imo. 

I feel like, with that book especially, but others that might have been inflated due to "movie hype," the best comparison to judge how much the "market" has fallen might be what the book was before there was even a movie announcement vs. what it is now?  

On 6/11/2022 at 10:32 AM, JB123 said:

What kind of percentages we talking?

Nominal or half off?

Here's a small takeaway from tracking my collection month-to-month.
UF #4 9.6 had a 14.89% decrease May to June
YOY it is down 14.37%

GSX #1 1.8 had a 29.07% decrease May to June
YOY it is down 29.69%

With regards to UF 4 specifically, there is a growing rumor, baseless or not, that a handful of dealers are sitting on massive amounts of high grade raw copies that are being slowly leaked out to the market. Could be nonsense but if enough people believe it they won't pour thousands into a 9.8 if there's even the possibility the rumor is true.

On 6/11/2022 at 7:57 PM, Ryan. said:

With regards to UF 4 specifically, there is a growing rumor, baseless or not, that a handful of dealers are sitting on massive amounts of high grade raw copies that are being slowly leaked out to the market. Could be nonsense but if enough people believe it they won't pour thousands into a 9.8 if there's even the possibility the rumor is true.

News to me so I looked up the census, only thing that I could think of, and there are only a couple of hundred more 9.6's than 9.8's. Would compare to ASM 300, well the last I checked #300. 

Not much of a difference yet for the hike on 9.8, only like 343 of signature series in 9.8 with UF4 though idk. Just food for thought, not that it necessarily insinuates anything. Something to be aware of though :)

alright before hitting submit I had to compare to #300 ASM, which still has a couple of "thousand" less in 9.8.

I'm ok with a market correction on UF 4, I mean it is a bit :cry: but makes sense at least for now ...... :makepoint: