• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market correction , will we see any effect on comics?
7 7

476 posts in this topic

On 6/5/2022 at 5:49 PM, Axe Elf said:

Does it matter if kids today read when the books are encased in plastic?

Nobody's paying hundreds of dollars for a comic because they want to read it.

It could be argued that "enough people read".

Whether to estimate if itll be TV optioned or other, it may all be speculation of course, but I know several my age at least that read to read.

I see the younger adults and kids in the LCS, so I can only assume. When I was a kid usually I was too broke to read all that i wanted, so generally forgot about it when money eventually came from week to week. Until the cah keys were handed to me lol

But it's not all doom and gloom. So if you read you're appreciated!  :cheers:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 6/5/2022 at 6:49 PM, Axe Elf said:

Correct.  In 2022 there have been others ways to read Comics for nearly 2 decades.  For better or worse the comic book industry as whole is not one that can survive on the basis of those who "read comic books". Times change...see "buggy whips'

Edited by MAR1979

On 6/5/2022 at 6:49 PM, Axe Elf said:

Oh weird.  I forgot that all the comics that come out on Wednesday are slabbed and you have to crack them to read.  

On 6/5/2022 at 7:06 PM, Beastfeast said:

Oh weird.  I forgot that all the comics that come out on Wednesday are slabbed and you have to crack them to read.  

Or already cost $100's  :ohnoez:

I have had a problem wanting to get out early on Wednesday or Tuesday to pick up speculation raw.

I can see how the price can go up, possibly to $100's involuntarily. 

I'm just ribbing.

But readers are encouraged, we all do it from time to time, more often than not. Still it needing to be encouraged is normal.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 6/5/2022 at 7:50 PM, Beastfeast said:

But seriously.  The VASTTTTT (and I mean VAST!) majority of comics are not and will never be slabbed.  The VAST majority of comic readers/collectors also don't slab their books.  We are a small minority of the collector base.  It's gotten bigger since covid, for sure.  But this gate-keeper/boomer idea of "Slabbing is ruining comics!" has been around since CGC started.  I kinda get the idea that people who think that CGC has ruined collecting never really liked collecting to begin with.  

Readership is down.  No getting around that.  But a graded book has absolutely nothing to do with that.  

Jinx  we posted same time!

Spoiler

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 6/5/2022 at 7:50 PM, Beastfeast said:

But this gate-keeper/boomer idea of "Slabbing is ruining comics!" has been around since CGC started.  I kinda get the idea that people who think that CGC has ruined collecting never really liked collecting to begin with.

I think that would be an overstatement too.  Slabbing doesn't "ruin" a comic (it's intended to do just the opposite, in fact), but it does convert it from a book to a commodity.  A book is to be read, a commodity is to be traded.  Commodities are the stuff and substance of collecting, so creating commodities couldn't possibly ruin collecting.

If the lack of a solid readership base affects anything, it will affect the raw comic market--you know, the books that can actually be read.  The collecting of commodities will continue as passionately as ever.

I mean, eventually, comics - slabbed or not - are absolutely going the way of coins and stamps as far as collectables.  Which is to say, people will still collect them, and many will still be quite valuable, but they won't have nearly the appeal or collector base they do now.  That's just science.

It's the "eventually" that no one can precisely predict.  

On 6/5/2022 at 9:30 PM, Axelrod said:

I mean, eventually, comics - slabbed or not - are absolutely going the way of coins and stamps as far as collectables.  Which is to say, people will still collect them, and many will still be quite valuable, but they won't have nearly the appeal or collector base they do now.  That's just science.

It's the "eventually" that no one can precisely predict.  

Comics carry much greater cultural cachet, even more so in the era of MCU, not to mention other media. Games alone have a massive audience for these characters. Coins and stamps never had anything like that.

A Setback........

Is an opportunity..........

For a Comeback..........

I would buy a comic book before a hamburger these days......................

you get some sort of return and not heart disease...

we just sold and entire EC collection for great profits and our five dollar comics online are non stop...

What I feel the general discussion her is this. Not whether there are profits or not but how much.....

Don't be spoiled and cry about making less of an exorbitant profit? Money is there and won't stop....

It's the reasonable workers that will attain it not the average picky collector with a calculator...

Any thoughts?

Has anyone tracked actual production of comic books recently? Any industry numbers on how many copies are being distributed?

We should find the low point and use that as a gauge for what is happening on that front.....

Let's see a chart..... Anyone?

Thanks

On 6/6/2022 at 8:53 AM, JB123 said:

Has anyone tracked actual production of comic books recently? Any industry numbers on how many copies are being distributed?

We should find the low point and use that as a gauge for what is happening on that front.....

Let's see a chart..... Anyone?

Thanks

Sounds like you might not know about Comichron.com

https://www.comichron.com/vitalstatistics/alltime.html

Edited by valiantman

On 6/5/2022 at 6:20 PM, Ryan. said:

People have been proclaiming the death of the comics market due to lack of kids being interested for 50 years.

Hyperbole.  No one ever claimed the "death" of the market.  People have been predicting a decline in the market for decades.  Then you have to define "market".  If you mean collectibles... yes, they have steadily risen, in certain genres, during that time, while they have certainly tanked in other genres.  If you are talking the sales of new-release paper-bound comics... then the people predicting that have pretty much been right all through those 50 years.  If you are talking digital downloads... the point is moot because nobody was talking about it at all 50 years ago.

Top-selling comics sold 1-million+ copies in the 50s, several hundred thousand copies in the 60s, and now many issue sell under 100,000 copies.  Meanwhile the nation's population has doubled in that period.  400 million people in the country, and most comic printings wouldn't supply a small suburb.  Non-key back-issue comics have been selling for $1 for at least 20 years, despite inflation on everything else.  What Action #1 or Amazing Fantasy #15 sell for over time is no more a barometer of a general "market" then Picasso sales indicate the valuation growth of velvet-Elvises.

So it's evident new comics aren't dead at all based on numbers. Maybe wavering but the growth has been so huge who cares?

What about total sales figures from heritage and comiconnect etc.......

I am imagining their hard numbers are up as well.

Hakes etc....

Anyone?

On 6/6/2022 at 5:29 PM, bc said:

Only 2 bucks??? Join the system to get at least tree-fiddy

736417818_JoinTheSystem.jpg.28b3ea168852e86109eee6e9a60e61cb.jpg

-bc

Sincerely, 

Dylan Schwartz – 516.253.1261

P.S. People told me not to because of all the freaks calling me, cosplay girls who want it for free in exchange for sex, and inappropriate texts, but I’m giving out my personal info because I truly stand by my system.