• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market correction , will we see any effect on comics?
7 7

476 posts in this topic

I kinda disagree and here is why.

America in general is run on trust funds at this stage in our history.

Also the population of comic fans is constantly growing and old comics are finite in numbers.

The more the industry entrenches fake values when we purchase the more people will be conscious of the sales figures when they liquidate.

I could go on for days but bottom line is most decent comics are held by strong financial situations at this stage.

It's just gonna get harder and harder and In turn pricing will continue to soar.

We are selling tons of five to twenty dollar books on eBay right now. All we can list.

Forget the news and get busy!

On 5/11/2022 at 4:17 PM, JB123 said:

I kinda disagree and here is why.

America in general is run on trust funds at this stage in our history.

Also the population of comic fans is constantly growing and old comics are finite in numbers.

The more the industry entrenches fake values when we purchase the more people will be conscious of the sales figures when they liquidate.

I could go on for days but bottom line is most decent comics are held by strong financial situations at this stage.

It's just gonna get harder and harder and In turn pricing will continue to soar.

We are selling tons of five to twenty dollar books on eBay right now. All we can list.

Forget the news and get busy!

Interesting view.  So you think it will just keep going up at the same rate?  No correction  

Well a correction is pretty harsh in real terms so to answer that part I say no correction.

Time of year may be biggest factor when deciding when to sell as well from 50 years experience.

The rate at which it will grow will fluctuate as any system does regardless of ups and downs etc.....

Consider this. Gas seems expensive but in today's dollar value it's still cheaper than last time it's went this high.

It isn't really that high yet.

Neither are comics. It's just part of the cosmic system. I don't think we can stop it.

funny how you bumped this thread after over two years. i guess seeing how many people were so wrong at the beginning of the pandemic did not dissuade you from continuing to solicit advice here. ( i too was worried about $$$ at the start of the pandemic.)

if you're a short term flipper, then you should have sold everything last year when things were on fire and the economy was blazing. almost everyone saw this day coming. 

if you're not, then sit tight. most comics may not increase at all for awhile and may decrease some more. last years runups were unprecedented. but in the long run, values will continue to grow for key books, as they always do. 

On 5/11/2022 at 4:17 PM, JB123 said:

The population of comic-movie fans may be growing.  We just eliminated our new comics orders (after 38 years) due to ever-declining sales.  But yes... back-issue collectibles are still hot.  We have purchased a ton of collections in the past few weeks, and in a single recent week sold $60k in comics just out of our local shop (no mail-order).  That's the good news.  The (possible) downside is... even with 2000+ Facebook looks that week and massive word-of-mouth... every sale... every sale... was to a long-time existing customer.  Not a new collector in the bunch.  So... I'm not sure what to make of that for long-term... 

Yeah, I don’t see how it can be good long term.    I see the generation of kids that were introduced right before the 90s collapse as the last big wave of childhood readers for whom this stuff really truly matters.    After that most of the attention was diverted to video games, magic cards, Pokémon, etc. 

Im sure there still many years of life left in this but when the guys my age die it seems entirely impossible that another generation could pick it up and keep it going in the same numbers and with the same passion. 

On 6/5/2022 at 2:07 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

how old are you then?

lol not that your really have to say, I guess I get your point without it, that the "end is out there", but the timing of your statement predicated on how old you are or when you die?

loldoh! I guess for anyone that could be tomorrow? I'm counting blessings, Praise God it hasn't got the the edge of that time, that it's not certain to be soon :wishluck: 

On 6/5/2022 at 1:50 PM, Bronty said:

Yeah, I don’t see how it can be good long term.    I see the generation of kids that were introduced right before the 90s collapse as the last big wave of childhood readers for whom this stuff really truly matters.    After that most of the attention was diverted to video games, magic cards, Pokémon, etc. 

Im sure there still many years of life left in this but when the guys my age die it seems entirely impossible that another generation could pick it up and keep it going in the same numbers and with the same passion. 

Hijacking the thread and asking a VERY stupid question:  What are the deal with Pops?  I mean, I sort of get it from a collector's point of view but I also totally don't get it and they irrationally annoy me.  69% of that annoyance might be the people who would line up at the Hollywood Funko store and I wouldn't be able to find parking.  

On 6/5/2022 at 3:15 PM, Beastfeast said:

Hijacking the thread and asking a VERY stupid question:  What are the deal with Pops?  I mean, I sort of get it from a collector's point of view but I also totally don't get it and they irrationally annoy me.  69% of that annoyance might be the people who would line up at the Hollywood Funko store and I wouldn't be able to find parking.  

Beats me, but my tattooist considers them an investment. I kept my mouth shut when he told me that. No way someone's going to retire on those, except for the IP license holders.

Edited by DavidTheDavid

On 6/5/2022 at 10:40 AM, alexgross.com said:

funny how you bumped this thread after over two years. i guess seeing how many people were so wrong at the beginning of the pandemic did not dissuade you from continuing to solicit advice here. ( i too was worried about $$$ at the start of the pandemic.)

if you're a short term flipper, then you should have sold everything last year when things were on fire and the economy was blazing. almost everyone saw this day coming. 

if you're not, then sit tight. most comics may not increase at all for awhile and may decrease some more. last years runups were unprecedented. but in the long run, values will continue to grow for key books, as they always do. 

On 6/5/2022 at 2:50 PM, Bronty said:

This is what I  have been thinking recently as well...I just never see kids read comcis anymore.   Whenever I head to the comicshop, it's typically middle aged to older males buying books.

Manga, video games, cards have taken over entertainment for many kids.

On 6/5/2022 at 4:15 PM, Beastfeast said:

no idea, who the heck wants a Pop?  More plastic to throw in the ocean.  

On 6/5/2022 at 3:15 PM, Beastfeast said:

I can't stand them either.

On 6/5/2022 at 3:18 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'd add on that it might also go into the 2000's for readers, I mean Harry Potter was originally a book.... idk :sorry: 

Nah.   The industry cratered hard in 94.  We can focus on exceptions on we can focus on the trend…

On 6/5/2022 at 5:18 PM, Bronty said:

Nah.   The industry cratered hard in 94.  We can focus on exceptions on we can focus on the trend…

Well the glossy covers of the late 90'$ may still not be collectable, but early 2000's had Spider-Man and the new X-Men, plus also ultimate Spider-Man.

Ultimate I thought was like a saving grace for the comic industry, correct? So someone was reading.

You say the 90's was the end, I'd say it's nowadays when everyone is again, like the 90's, after that graded variant to not read.

Just my understanding

Does it matter if kids today read when the books are encased in plastic?

Nobody's paying hundreds of dollars for a comic because they want to read it.