• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

Impressive. smile.gif

Heritage just sold one... Detective #27 coverless

I noticed that book as well and the winning bid was $8625.00 including the 15% commission. That book had some restoration on it but looks like it has nice pages. It's hard to value big key books that are coverless or missing pages but are still in high demand.

Bathound, did you buy your book from al chao? That copy looks exactly like the copy he had, front cover missing, rest complete including back cover..

Impressive. smile.gif

Heritage just sold one... Detective #27 coverless

I noticed that book as well and the winning bid was $8625.00 including the 15% commission. That book had some restoration on it but looks like it has nice pages. It's hard to value big key books that are coverless or missing pages but are still in high demand.

Bathound, did you buy your book from al chao? That copy looks exactly like the copy he had, front cover missing, rest complete including back cover..

No I bought this years ago from an antique dealer in a small country town in Ontario. He only deals in furniture antiques and after he won the rights to an entire estate he discovered a bunch of comics in a dresser in a shack near the house. He knew a bit about comics but wasn't a seasoned collector. He had a dozen or so comics all coverless with some having back covers. Mostly he had Superman's I'm guessing some Actions but not a # 1. I don't know the exact #'s he had but it didn't matter because he had promised them to someone else. My parents told me about this guy who had these comics and after they met they told him their son collected Batman comics. He told my parents he would hold them if I was interested. All I new he had was old Superman and Batmans, but I still made the 5 hour drive to view them the next Saturday. I nearly crapped my pants when I saw the Tec # 27. He knew what he had and he wanted $ 2500.00 CAN. The first two pages are 3/4 spine split with small pieces missing here and there on the spine. The pages are cream/off-white with a nice centerfold. I was concerned about the back cover not being correct since he had other coverless books with backs and could have been mixed up. We agreed at $2000.00 CAN and I would pay him cash. Went to the bank in their town and within the next hour I owned the book. I got home and the back cover does match after viewing Heritage Archives and a reprint. My parents complain about my " Funny Book" collection but if it wasn't for their tip leading me to this antique dealer I wouldn't have this book. Hats off to my folks flowerred.gif

My copy of Detective # 27, missing front cover but has all the pages. File0054.jpg[/img] File0053.jpg[/img]

Great book, I would be happy to have a 'coverless Tec #27(and a Batman #1).

Sweet deal on the 'Tec 43 bat-hound - It's nice when CGC gives you a better grade than the seller - though that book is clearly nicer than a VG!

Here are my copies of the oft-posted Detective 140 & 142. See the Marketplace for more info (hint).

tec140.jpg

tec142.jpg

I remember ordering this from an ad in Comics Buyers Guide a long time ago. It was listed as VG for $250.00. file0205.jpg[/img]

Bat-hound, you TOTALLY missed my birthday, but if you send that book my way immediately, I'll forgive you, just this once. hi.gif