• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

Anyone notice the upcoming January Heritage auction preview? They have a run of Detective Comics from #27-41 (minus #34) ALL restored copies.

There's a killer copy of Detective #6 in there too. CGC Apparent 9.2 (moderate P). hail.gif

Bidding, are we?

Anyone notice the upcoming January Heritage auction preview? They have a run of Detective Comics from #27-41 (minus #34) ALL restored copies.

There's a killer copy of Detective #6 in there too. CGC Apparent 9.2 (moderate P). hail.gif

Bidding, are we?

No, much as I'd like to, I am still on a buying hiatus until later next year. smirk.gif

No, much as I'd like to, I am still on a buying hiatus until later next year.

I know the feeling. tonofbricks.gif

It is. All $20k plus of it.

Wow. Love those early Detectives, but as Timulty so eloquently stated "my cheddar is being baked for another dish". Tec #31.

There's a nice looking restored copy in the next heritage auction. It will probably get a reasonable price because of the extensive resto.

Wow. Love those early Detectives, but as Timulty so eloquently stated "my cheddar is being baked for another dish". Tec #31.

There's a nice looking restored copy in the next heritage auction. It will probably get a reasonable price because of the extensive resto.

It's too nice. A 7.0 Ext. = 4.0 unrestored? confused-smiley-013.gif

Another favorite early Tec. laugh.gif

819039695o.jpg

It probably looks more reasonable at its actual size as opposed to 200% magnification. If that and the light wear are it I could see 9.0. I owned a 9.0 MH Smash comic that had similar wear.

That is a beautiful book, but how Metro could call it a vf/nm is a mystery to me. The stress around the staples alone easily drops it to an 8.0 or less. This really brings into question Metro's credibility on grading.

I think those are actually staple tears, not stress lines. frown.gif

I had the same thought about the VF/NM grade being too high. Looking at the OSGG, I see that one small staple tear is allowed in VF/NM, but there are no books with two tears in that grade. The Crowley CGC 8.0 copy of Wonder Woman #1 on page 203 of the guide has two staple tears and some other wear and defects that makes it not quite as nice as this book (page quality is probably not as good either). I have to wonder whether the GA and Edgar Church bump would cause CGC to give this book an 8.5. confused-smiley-013.gif I can't see it getting lower than an 8.0 though. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

One question I have that you may be able to answer is this -- is there a higher grade copy of Detective #5 that is known to exist?

Are staple tears ever a result of the binding process? If so would they be considered less detrimental to a grade than those that are caused by consumer wear?