• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,286 posts in this topic

Love all the little extra details on this cover! From the spittoon and cigarette butts on the floor to the cowboy holding onto his hat as he scrambles to leave the saloon! lol

...... here's the Maneely splash :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

QTW15i.jpg

Finally got another one of these..... I INSTANTLY regretted selling my first copy a while back..... it's got one of my favorite Everett covers and stories inside. This is the Circle 8 copy and I'm so happy with it. It's out of the slab now.... breathing and shining like a good Atlas should.... GOD BLESS...

UNCANNYTALES39c8.jpg

I'm very pleased the UT 39 made it to you safe and sound, and I know it's gone to a great home, but I'm already having some sellers remorse :facepalm:

Congratulations, and enjoy the great book Jimbo! :applause:

Recently picked up this nice Northford copy, and I displayed it in the Recent Pre Code Purchase thread, but I figured this thread could use a healthy bump as well :)

IMG_2276_zps62028889.jpg

Edited by Supernerd

Some surprising results on the PCH Strange Tales run on Clink tonight. No wins for me. I have a question for Alan if you happen to read this. I was under the impression that you were at the Geppi unveiling of the Overstreet collection and was wondering if you recall any PCH Atlas there ? GOD BLESS.....

Some surprising results on the PCH Strange Tales run on Clink tonight. No wins for me. I have a question for Alan if you happen to read this. I was under the impression that you were at the Geppi unveiling of the Overstreet collection and was wondering if you recall any PCH Atlas there ? GOD BLESS.....

Jim which ones did you find surprising.

I think the ST 6 (Spokane) CGC 6.0 that went for $800 or so was very strong.

The ST20 CGC 6.0 was also very strong at $600 or so.

....I thought I had a chance on the 45 (6.0) :boo: It did look much nicer than the grade. The 40 was also a surprise (@ 4.0) ....... GOD BLESS...

The public event did not include any pre-code books as it was focused on big ticket GA comics that would result in an impressive sales figure and because those were the books most likely to get noticed. I'm not sure that would be any different today...

There was a much smaller breakfast gathering that occurred the day after the opening and that's when a large amount of Overstreet's collection was brought out for sale. By chance, I happened on a couple boxes containing books he purchased from the White Mountain collection and that did include some Atlas pre-code horror books but I don't recall there being many. The majority of the books were pre-hero Marvels.

There were other Atlas PCH books in the collection but grades were very mixed and mostly less than fine. Color touch and other minor resto was also fairly common on books that looked high grade. There may very well have been some nice Atlas PCH outside of the few WMs but nothing that I saw or picked up.

On a subsequent visit I had a chance to go through the WM Journey into Mystery set which had many issues from 2 up and I picked out the nicest ones. Over time I ended up trading/selling all of the Atlas issues as their condition was exceptional but they weren't the most exciting covers/interiors. The 3 was particularly sweet and, 15+ years later, still resides with the same collector I traded it to for some pre-hero issues.

I have color photo copies of all of the Atlas WM JIM I owned. Here's the 3, which I believe was also pictured in the color section of the Guide at one point.

JIM3.jpg

(worship) ..... thank you SO much. I was curious as to whether there might be another wave of HG copies unaccounted for..... i.e., Overstreet copies. I know he had some real sharp Atlas Westerns.... I was lucky enough to snag one for my collection a while back.... and while only a 7.0 or 7.5, it's freshness is most noteworthy. GOD BLESS...

Overstreet's JIM 3 has not been graded (it would be 9.4 - 9.6) but there was a second copy in the WM collection that was not Overstreet's that graded an 8.5. Overstreet's JIM 2 was a 9.0 and the 4 was a 9.4. I think the 8 was an 8.5. These were all WM copies.

I have since seen a number of high grade WM copies that I wish had been in those boxes as I would have bought them. The WM collection included quite a nice selection of Atlas PCH.

I think the ST 6 (Spokane) CGC 6.0 that went for $800 or so was very strong.
I didn't notice this book until looking through some of the results. I still have some of my notes from back then and for that book I had written "rejected -- lower grade." :P

.... and they may have been held back by Geppi or already promised to someone.... if Overstreet did indeed have the bulk of them. I appreciate your input .....as I am an incurable provenance junky. GOD BLESS...

.... and they may have been held back by Geppi or already promised to someone.... if Overstreet did indeed have the bulk of them. I appreciate your input .....as I am an incurable provenance junky. GOD BLESS...

Overstreet got first pick of the debut set that Jerry Wiest brought to San Diego but I kinda doubt that there were a whole mess of Atlas WMs in Overstreet's collection. Jerry was the agent for the WMs and a number sold through Sotheby's or directly to collectors as they were only gradually released onto the market.

.... oddly enough, our local Library has a copy of one of the Sotheby's catalogs and it may be time to check it out again. I wasn't quite as smitten by Atlas the last time I looked at it..... but I recall it had many WM lots like FF 2-50 or so, etc..... GOD BLESS...

Overstreet got first pick of the debut set that Jerry Wiest brought to San Diego but I kinda doubt that there were a whole mess of Atlas WMs in Overstreet's collection. Jerry was the agent for the WMs and a number sold through Sotheby's or directly to collectors as they were only gradually released onto the market.

I bought two of the lesser WM JIM's in Overstreet's collection from WWC a 13 and 44 - 5.5 and 6.0 respectively. Sold both, they were nice books, but the 13 had a solid crease in the FC and the 44 had a rip at the top staple.

.... oddly enough, our local Library has a copy of one of the Sotheby's catalogs and it may be time to check it out again. I wasn't quite as smitten by Atlas the last time I looked at it..... but I recall it had many WM lots like FF 2-50 or so, etc..... GOD BLESS...

I have this catalog at home and will try to scan the pages with the WM Atlas books, there were some JIUW and MT also.

The catalog was bought off e-bay and the person had put a print out with the original prices realized for each lot inside the catalog - the prices people paid to buy a lot of 10 WM JIUW is mind-blowing....

Edited by Johnny545