• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,309 posts in this topic

OK.... I admit that I've been holding back. This artist is by no means obscure, but he's most widely known for Daredevil and Tomb of Dracula (.... a favorite from my teenage years). Gene Colan is one of the reasons I kept coming back for more Atlas books. His war stories are scintillating...... oh, how I would love a Masterworks with nothing but Colan War stories. This first one is for my friend Frank and is NOT a war story. It hails from Police Action 1. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

COLAN3PA1.jpg

That's real cool! I am moving the other Police Action issues I need for my for my set to the top of my Want List! :sumo::headbang:

Unfortunately, in my estimation, the average issue of Police Action is so-so with regards to artist line-up but esp. in terms of stories. Long gone were already the days of wild criminals and the scales had already tipped more in favor of law enforcement which ruined the strongest story elements of crime comics.

Regardless, I have better luck finding mid-grade presentable copies of Atlas War books and Western books than I have Crime books so good luck on your search.

# 3 -

PoliceAction3_zpscea4830a.jpg

Picked up a Police Action #2 this month....have not read it YET. But will be fixing that tonight. :cloud9:

1b9958210ea039a4ab81e72ba8d9418d_zps0626ee40.jpg[/img]

Read it and really enjoyed it. The other six issues are at the top of my want list, along with Police Badge #479. Would really like to land one of those soon. My badge is #179. I know not the same but matching two of the digits makes me really want that one. :headbang:

.....this one has such a cool cover :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

STRANGETALES49.jpg

4 reasons why this cover is awesome:

1) Everett art - almost enough on it's own.

2) Burnt orange background - always makes an Atlas cover pop.

3) Robot - this alone puts it on want lists

4) Gun arm in the foreground composition - used mostly on westerns, but cool anywhere.

Up for grabs on ebay right now.

I was quite surprised the first time I ran across one of these bedsheet sized magazines with an Atlas bullet on it.

Thought you Atlas aficionados might appreciate seeing something out of the ordinary.

$_57.JPG

They're about the size of a Life Magazine

Edited by catrick339

It's almost surreal ..... it would've made a cool pulp cover. Many of these post codes have covers that are so strong they're worth getting for that reason alone. It's a shame we lost Everett so young. GOD BLESS...

It's a shame we lost Everett so young. GOD BLESS...

What could have been...

Supposedly Bill kicked the sauce at the end of his life and was very active in a certain 12 step fellowship. It sure would've been cool to have been a member of THAT home group..... GOD BLESS...

It's a shame we lost Everett so young. GOD BLESS...

What could have been...

Supposedly Bill kicked the sauce at the end of his life and was very active in a certain 12 step fellowship. It sure would've been cool to have been a member of THAT home group..... GOD BLESS...

I just read in the latest Everett archive (highly recommend it linky ) that he was a mentor to many others in AA and that more of them came to his funeral than did people from the comics industry.

........those folks stick together.... at least the ones who are serious about it. Looking at Bill's work, he was obviously a passionate person.... I'm sure he pored 100 % in whatever he did.... Thanks for the link, Alan.... GOD BLESS...

........those folks stick together.... at least the ones who are serious about it. Looking at Bill's work, he was obviously a passionate person.... I'm sure he pored 100 % in whatever he did.... Thanks for the link, Alan.... GOD BLESS...

That link got me curious and I got to reading a bit about Everett on Wiki. I came across this little tidbit of info from Gene Colan:

"Artist Gene Colan said that Everett had been Lee's first choice to draw the horror series Tomb of Dracula, which premiered in 1972 and for which Colan then lobbied successfully."

Could you imagine Everett on TOD??!

Oh the possibilities of what could have been! :cry: