• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,309 posts in this topic

Vic Carrabotta certainly had his share of shining moments... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

JIM1i.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

Jim,

I thought Matt Fox was one of the better pulp artist of the 1940s and 1950s. He had a distinctive, powerful style that reminded me a little of the better known artist Hannes Bok, though Fox's cover paintings were far more bloodthirsty than Bok.

Fox inked several mid 1960s Marvel fantasy stories from "Tales Of Suspense" and so on that were penciled by Larry Leiber. I remember thinking why did Stan Lee have a top talent like Fox inking a mediocre artist like Leiber? Why not have Fox draw the story instead?

Below are four of Fox's cover paintings for the pulp "Weird Tales" from the mid 40's and early 1950s. 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Myron Fass may be the source of some of the unattributed stories in the Atlas cannon, as he had several different styles that he would employ. GOD BLESS...

ASTONISHING34i.jpg

Jim,

I thought Matt Fox was one of the better pulp artist of the 1940s and 1950s. He had a distinctive, powerful style that reminded me a little of the better known artist Hannes Bok, though Fox's cover paintings were far more bloodthirsty than Bok.

Fox inked several mid 1960s Marvel fantasy stories from "Tales Of Suspense" and so on that were penciled by Larry Leiber. I remember thinking why did Stan Lee have a top talent like Fox inking a mediocre artist like Leiber? Why not have Fox draw the story instead?

Below are four of Fox's cover paintings for the pulp "Weird Tales" from the mid 40's and early 1950s. 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

NICE, Lewis ...... you'll have to sell me these the next time I see you :baiting: GOD BLESS...

Already been posted recently..... but here's an example of Fox's own work.... more similar in nature to the Pulp stuff Lewis just shared. GOD BLESS...

STRANGETALES18i.jpg

Bob Fujitani was a very capable hand..... this one is from Adventures into Weird Worlds 3 ....GOD BLESS.....

ADVENTURESINTOWEIRDWORLDS3i.jpg

Gil Kane..... while certainly not obscure, did manage to add a few nice stories to the Atlas line.... far too few unfortunately. This one is from Mystic 24. GOD BLESS...

MYSTIC24i.jpg

I didn't realize that Kane had done any work for Atlas. It doesn't actually look much like Gil Kane, but that could be the Matt Fox inks.

I'm starting to think the shorter list would be: 1950s comic artists who didn't work for Atlas.

I didn't realize that Kane had done any work for Atlas. It doesn't actually look much like Gil Kane, but that could be the Matt Fox inks.

I'm starting to think the shorter list would be: 1950s comic artists who didn't work for Atlas.

.... if you go to www.atlastales.com and click the "Creators" link there are hundreds of creators.... each with their own link to an index to their Atlas output. Some have scans of which I have borrowed liberally for these posts. You'd be surprised at some of the names who hit a few licks at Atlas. Infantino even did a few well done stories. GOD BLESS...

Jim Mooney was doing some real polished work for Atlas in the 50's. He had a long career in comics and went back to work for the House of Ideas during the Bronze Age.... This one is from Marvel Tales 114's "Dial Z For Zombie" ....one of my favorites.GOD BLESS....

MARVELTALES114i.jpg

Don Perlin did a dozen or so in the 50's .... and was later hired back in the Bronze Age. Stan was real good about giving those Atlas greats another round after Marvel rebounded. One thing I like about the Atlas line.... it seems Stan welcomed an artist's own original style.... not a lot of the 'House Style" that would come about later. GOD BLESS....

MARVELTALES110i.jpg

Mac Pakula could also knock 'em out of the park. Here's one from Marvel Tales 121.... but the bulk of his work was in the War genre. GOD BLESS...

MARVELTALES121i.jpg

Mac Pakula could also knock 'em out of the park. Here's one from Marvel Tales 121.... but the bulk of his work was in the War genre. GOD BLESS...

MARVELTALES121i.jpg

Great work Jim posting these pages. The first panel here isn't gruesome enough. :eek:

I'm curious as to when Atlas collectors feel the "Atlas era" begins. Is it genre or title specific, stretching back to 1948 for those titles or genres ( like crime, western and romance) that one more commonly associates with Atlas rather than Timely?

Is it everything from roughly June 1950 ( cover dates) when the Marvel bullet logo had been dropped, photo covers ended, and the familiar inset panels began to appear along the spine?

Or is it roughly Nov. 1951 when the Atlas logo began to appear?

Or do you just wing it depending on what you like to collect?

I only dabble it Atlas, so my collecting parameters need not be so defined, but if I was to attempt to become an Atlas run collector, I'd probably start with mid- 1950 so as to avoid paying for photo cover books lol

MARVELTALES121i.jpg

Great work Jim posting these pages. The first panel here isn't gruesome enough. :eek:

Thanks, Andy..... I've been thinking about it for a while. The Atlas line didn't have that consistent package like Gaines had at E.C. .....but they sure did put out some neat comics. They had their share of duds, too......I gracefully neglected those lol GOD BLESS....

I'm curious as to when Atlas collectors feel the "Atlas era" begins. Is it genre or title specific, stretching back to 1948 for those titles or genres ( like crime, western and romance) that one more commonly associates with Atlas rather than Timely?

Is it everything from roughly June 1950 ( cover dates) when the Marvel bullet logo had been dropped, photo covers ended, and the familiar inset panels began to appear along the spine?

Or is it roughly Nov. 1951 when the Atlas logo began to appear?

Or do you just wing it depending on what you like to collect?

I only dabble it Atlas, so my collecting parameters need not be so defined, but if I was to attempt to become an Atlas run collector, I'd probably start with mid- 1950 so as to avoid paying for photo cover books lol

.... I always just considered them 50's books ..... with only a few 52 pagers as part of the line..... but that's just me. GOD BLESS....