• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Are Your Three Favorite Timelys?
2 2

64 posts in this topic

Back in the 90s, when I first focused on picking up classic covers, the three Timely's I made sure to get were Cap #74, MM #46 and Human Torch #12. They remain perennial favorites, but over the years I've come to love other covers as well. I'd have a tougher time coming up with a top 3 now.

2 hours ago, woowoo said:

I have liked these since I had 4 or 5 of each over the years. I did want a MM-9 but never had a copy.

Marvel-Comics-.1.jpg

Human-Torch-1.jpg

Sub-Mariiner-1.jpg

Always wanted a Subby #1. Had a chance once. Old guy with a garage full of comics, pulps and magazines when I was about 15. I was hot on ECs. He had complete runs and was selling them that way. In the runs were included the annuals. I talked him into selling me all the annuals (no TOT #1) and he threw in the complete run of Piracy for $100. An absolute fortune for me then. He had a Subby #1 for $40. but I didn't have the money...

3 hours ago, rjpb said:

Back in the 90s, when I first focused on picking up classic covers, the three Timely's I made sure to get were Cap #74, MM #46 and Human Torch #12. They remain perennial favorites, but over the years I've come to love other covers as well. I'd have a tougher time coming up with a top 3 now.

Cap 74 and All Select 1 were very popular in the 1990s. 

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

It was so much fun narrowing down the list that I figured I would thumb up the winners one more time...

threetimelys.jpeg

I was not expecting these choices but I really enjoyed reading your explanations of why these are your Top 3.

1 minute ago, adamstrange said:

I was not expecting these choices but I really enjoyed reading your explanations of why these are your Top 3.

Now I am curious what choices you were expecting?

10 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I was expecting to see all 3 choices from the multitude of classic covers you own but I liked that you were considering the importance of interior stories. 

Just now, Primetime said:
26 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

A mystic, daring, and a marvel mystery were my guesses 

Daring Mystery #7 was on the short list. The cover isn't that great. The book is fairly common so there isn't much hoopla about it. But every story is a first appearance or origin of an interesting, oddball character. The Fin, The Blue Diamond, The Thunderer, The Challenger. This book was so memorable that it received special mention by Steranko in The History of Comics.

7 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Daring Mystery #7 was on the short list. The cover isn't that great. The book is fairly common so there isn't much hoopla about it. But every story is a first appearance or origin of an interesting, oddball character. The Fin, The Blue Diamond, The Thunderer, The Challenger. This book was so memorable that it received special mention by Steranko in The History of Comics.

Your short list works for me.  (thumbsu  That would fit in nicely as the 15th book of my top thirty list.

For a Timely, the cover of Daring Mystery #7 may not be as action-packed as the typical Schomburg tour de force, but the unique character vignettes really stands out...  

Spoiler

2e186864-4575-41d2-b1b6-cf6fe5f6958b_zpsgpkdr82n.jpg.977ffafa7a623fc16149a00702cb5438.jpg

In addition to getting special mention in Steranko's The History of Comics, Alex's cover earned a full page reproduction in his career retrospective CHROMA...  

81+KpgS6ZKL.jpg

My three favorite Timely covers are super busy artwork from Alex Schomburg, Cap 33, 37, and 41.  Reminds me of "Where's Waldo?"  Note in Cap 41, Bucky is using a flamethrower to incinerate a Japanese soldier.

IMG_0619.thumb.JPG.3a9ac7e376516f25f2ffcdcb8beac250.JPG

CaptainAmericaComics37cover.jpg.5409b21d077baca0e7364fc27420d991.jpg

IMG_0620.JPG.79c4501b21cffacbcabc58b28a73c74f.JPG

Runner up is Marvel Mystery Comics 36, which I always found amusing.  This is not my copy, but I have one hidden away  I first saw this cover in Steranko's History of Comics, which I bought in 1971 from the late Gary Arlington.  I never could figure out why the Germans were wearing deep diving gear, when they are only walking six feet through the water to invade New York City.

.25312.jpg.6d3c2f223ee831ad709bcc29a4d11225.jpg

Let me start by saying none of these are my books (I am too much of a loser to own anything so cool).

Marvel Comics 1 - can you imagine how spectacular the original artwork would be for this book?

Captain America 1 - the ultimate WW2 cover, Cap versus Hitler, nuff said

Marvel Mystery Comics 40 - This is the hard slot for me but I think the big balloon wins out.

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 5.31.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 5.32.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 5.36.08 PM.png

4 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Let me start by saying none of these are my books (I am too much of a loser to own anything so cool).

Marvel Comics 1 - can you imagine how spectacular the original artwork would be for this book?

Captain America 1 - the ultimate WW2 cover, Cap versus Hitler, nuff said

Marvel Mystery Comics 40 - This is the hard slot for me but I think the big balloon wins out.

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 5.31.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 5.32.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 5.36.08 PM.png

Love 40 - wish I had one ☝️