• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Alan Moore Appreciation Thread
10 10

470 posts in this topic

On 7/6/2023 at 4:08 PM, OtherEric said:

So, a question for the thread, here.  My LCS has a complete set of Watchmen that they're selling as a set, all CGC 9.6.  They're asking $475.  I'm wondering what people think of that price for the run given that they're all 9.6, not 9.8.

So that’s $40 per comic and you don’t have to worry about shipping.  I think that sounds good considering how much it costs these days to get a comic graded.  Maybe some of them could be improved with a press too?  However it’s kind of nice to have a set all of the same grade.

Edited by Jasonmorris1000000

On 7/6/2023 at 3:08 PM, OtherEric said:

So, a question for the thread, here.  My LCS has a complete set of Watchmen that they're selling as a set, all CGC 9.6.  They're asking $475.  I'm wondering what people think of that price for the run given that they're all 9.6, not 9.8.

#1 in 9.6 sells over $100 alone.  I just grabbed a couple as I don't feel this series will lose steam, even though there are soooooo many copies out there.  I intend on going after the rest of the series using my Miracleman method (anything CGC 9.0+ at equal to or less than $40 shipped).  9.6 is a nice grade.  I sometimes find 9.8's that look like 9.4s, and 9.6s that look like 9.8s.  (shrug)

Just won a later issue 9.4 for $6.

I've been an Alan Moore fan since a high school kid was kind (or foolish) enough to trust a Jr. High School-age brother of his friend with his "Swamp Thing" collection, which at the time was somewhere in the mid 40's, issue-wise. 

The HBO series was superb from start to finish, and did nothing to undermine the original work in my mind. I wouldn't say it enhanced it either because I've always purposely kept the original work in its own box, metaphorically speaking. I think an awful lot of comic readers, particularly those who first read "Watchmen" as it was being published, can easily do the same. 

Alan Moore wrote this single issue of Spawn. I picked it up a couple of weeks ago but still haven't read it. I think I've been putting it off deliberately. Apparently he explores the levels of hell and such. Given his deep interest in the occult, it's probably going to be unsettling like some of his Swamp Thing issues which dealt with those kinds of topics xD  Spawn8Cover.thumb.jpg.e2eda40830bcc367f5169e32c6508707.jpg

Arken Sword #11 which I posted previously in the Miracleman Rarities thread (see link below image), but likely more relevant here as features a great interview with Moore. It used to be available as PDF on https://www.comicsfanzines.co.uk/, but the publisher (Paul Duncan) since requested this removed.

Arken_Sword_11_92_SS_A.thumb.jpg.e41f86a52a32ea8d69f7393dcb70d3c0.jpg

Captain Marvel Adventures #20 and #24 :x

• #20; 2nd mention of Marvelman (Micky Moran).
  • #24; Title change to The Marvelman. Marvelman logo appears on cover, final issue before transition to new title: Marvelman #25 (detached front cover).

Picture 16 of 23Picture 20 of 23

Spoiler

Picture 17 of 23Picture 18 of 23Picture 19 of 23Picture 21 of 23Picture 22 of 23Picture 23 of 23

Edited by Bart Allen

On 10/20/2023 at 8:41 AM, Bart Allen said:

Captain Marvel Adventures #20 and #24 :x

• #20; 2nd mention of Marvelman (Micky Moran).
  • #24; Title change to The Marvelman. Marvelman logo appears on cover, final issue before transition to new title: Marvelman #25 (detached front cover).

Picture 16 of 23Picture 20 of 23

Reveal hidden contents

Picture 17 of 23Picture 18 of 23Picture 19 of 23Picture 21 of 23Picture 22 of 23Picture 23 of 23

Love these. I wouldn’t call it a title change but it’s definitely a transition issue. Glad you found em!

On 10/21/2023 at 3:12 AM, Bart Allen said:

Whoops, you're utterly right as per usual :x

But just glad I got these and Young Marvelman #25 ~

WUT? Did I know you scored a YM #25? Did you show it already and I forgot...?!? Way to go!

On 10/21/2023 at 11:15 PM, JTLarsen said:

WUT? Did I know you scored a YM #25? Did you show it already and I forgot...?!? Way to go!

I took some scans of the books and posted them in the "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?" section last month, but here (although the #25 might only get a 3.0 because of the spine split lol):

Spoiler

Young Marvelman Vol.1

On 10/22/2023 at 3:46 AM, Bart Allen said:

I took some scans of the books and posted them in the "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?" section last month, but here (although the #25 might only get a 3.0 because of the spine split lol):

Hide contents

Young Marvelman Vol.1

Wow! Congrats! What are the other issue numbers? Where’d you get em? How much? Why is the sky blue? Where do butterflies go when…