• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Alan Moore Appreciation Thread
10 10

468 posts in this topic

The Omnibus released about 6 months ago features the first three books (the Alan Moore Stories). It's an 800 pager (400 story pages, 400 bonus content) and is readily available from online retailers for about $60, so less than a copy of issue #15 alone usually costs, not too shabby. 

Writer Neil Gaiman is in the middle of the long-delayed 5th book now, and there should be a 6th book forthcoming after that, which will comprise another trilogy.

Book 4, written by Gaiman, which was originally published way back when, is available in a recent hardback from the same outlets for about $15 or so. 

On 5/12/2023 at 8:27 AM, NoMan said:

I've never read Moore's Mircleman run. I have it. Saving it for a rainy day. Is that odd?

Not to my mind.  I've got several favorite authors where I haven't been able to bring myself to read the last book I have by them, because then I'll be done; and a couple more where I finally did go and read it.  I do it more with deceased creators, but since Moore is done with comics I would say the same logic applies.  And Miracleman is a natural choice for that, given that it's a major work that was simply not easily available for decades.

On 5/12/2023 at 10:43 AM, OtherEric said:
On 5/12/2023 at 10:27 AM, NoMan said:

I've never read Moore's Mircleman run. I have it. Saving it for a rainy day. Is that odd?

Not to my mind.  I've got several favorite authors where I haven't been able to bring myself to read the last book I have by them, because then I'll be done; and a couple more where I finally did go and read it.  I do it more with deceased creators, but since Moore is done with comics I would say the same logic applies.  And Miracleman is a natural choice for that, given that it's a major work that was simply not easily available for decades.

lol I don't think so, but I'm the same way with movies lol 

I own the Batman with Heath Ledger Joker on DVD, I just never had the patience to sit down and watch it ha! Other movies like that too, but they seem to be important flicks :sorry: 

On 5/8/2023 at 7:54 AM, Browns81 said:

Is there a Miracleman omnibus/TPB that is considered the best version I should be on the lookout for?

If you can find these, get them.  They are difficult to locate but compared to the current Marvel HC reprints they look a lot better (I'm a real snob with modern re-colouring though...)  Eclipse didn't do many hard covers but these were worth it.

(Also - in fond internet memories, I got my copy of Miracleman #15 off rec.arts.comics.marketplace from a guy in the UK circa 1997.  I put £20 in an envelope, dropped it in the mail and a legit minty MM #15 showed up 2 weeks later.  No school like the old school LOL)

IMG_2046.jpg

Edited by roach04

On 5/12/2023 at 11:39 AM, roach04 said:

If you can find these, get them.  They are difficult to locate but compared to the current Marvel HC reprints they look a lot better (I'm a real snob with modern re-colouring though...)  Eclipse didn't do many hard covers but these were worth it.

(Also - in fond internet memories, I got my copy of Miracleman #15 off rec.arts.comics.marketplace from a guy in the UK circa 1997.  I put £20 in an envelope, dropped it in the mail and a legit minty MM #15 showed up 2 weeks later.  No school like the old school LOL)

IMG_2046.jpg

Love it! 

In the early days of Ebay, if you searched using the word "Miracleman", it wouldn't bring up any comics listed as "Miracle Man", that is, with a space between the words. As a result, there were often bargains to be had for copies of "Miracle Man", even #15. Remember, too, this was also before Fixed Price listings, so everything was auctions, and because Ebay listing fees increased according to the minimum bid the seller put on the item, most auctions began at either 99 cents or else $9.99. 

On 5/28/2023 at 12:15 AM, JTLarsen said:

Ha! I highly doubt I’m second to Derek. Right, Ewan? And whoever is is waaayyy distant!

Modest haha and well true, not sure of Ewan's collection given how much he's sold ~ I'm sure you saw the recent comic that was sold at the weekend ... lollol