• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Thrilling, Amazing, Startling, Wonder-ful Future of Science Fiction Pulps
8 8

160 posts in this topic

What's your feelings about the digest-style scifi pulps from the 50s and onward? MFSF, Analog, If, Galaxy, etc. 

Are we going to see submissions pick up? I have some, but I haven't made up my mind about them...

Posted (edited)

Last I heard they're not accepting digests for slabbing at this time. More work is needed on the inner well. I would think the market they want next is paperbacks, and the digests will come along for the ride. A year out?

And of those you mentioned I think MFSF is clearly the stand out title, at least for the 50's

Edited by Dr. Love

On 5/13/2024 at 3:02 PM, Dr. Love said:

Last I heard they're not accepting digests for slabbing at this time. More work is needed on the inner well. I would think the market they want next is paperbacks, and the digests will come along for the ride. A year out?

And of those you mentioned I think MFSF is clearly the stand out title, at least for the 50's

I don’t see grading of PBs for quite some time. Yes, they seem to be gaining some popularity but pretty far behind comics, and pulps. The big factor is the value. In order to ramp up for grading them, prices will have to rise considerability. I say, if you are not an active buyer, start buying what you want now…

On 5/16/2024 at 7:13 PM, Point Five said:

Man, if I'd been in charge of assigning sci-fi pulp covers in 1952, not a single month would go by without bare female breasts and an exposed rib cage.

amazingstoriesmay1952.thumb.jpg.f20d9c0d22bb0a3bf2cebef9fd0618aa.jpg

Just so long as they're not both on the woman.

On 5/14/2024 at 10:06 AM, waaaghboss said:

They're certainly getting closer, digests are already on the menu and cgc is hungry 😢  saw this on HA

lf.thumb.jpeg.480ad5dbdd83da79f373a31c76178d85.jpeg

I didn’t know they did that. I checked the census and it is the only one. Submitted as a comic book? I am considering my high grade copy that includes the rare, usually missing, page 2. Don’t know how to value it though.

On 5/17/2024 at 11:33 AM, Robot Man said:

I didn’t know they did that. I checked the census and it is the only one. Submitted as a comic book? I am considering my high grade copy that includes the rare, usually missing, page 2. Don’t know how to value it though.

CGC has been grading digests and paperbacks for quite some time. I'm pretty sure they'll grade anything you send them that will fit in a current holder. The problem is, the capsule is too big and they look a bit ridiculous. I'd submit some if they made a holder that was about the size of a comic book, but I suspect they're not ready to tool up for that.

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 1:06 PM, waaaghboss said:

They're certainly getting closer, digests are already on the menu and cgc is hungry 😢  saw this on HA

Yup, I posted that back in the paperback thread when it went up for auction. It's the same copy that a prominent comic dealer had on their website, raw, a while back. 

Edited by Surfing Alien

On 5/18/2024 at 6:24 AM, Surfing Alien said:

CGC has been grading digests and paperbacks for quite some time. I'm pretty sure they'll grade anything you send them that will fit in a current holder. The problem is, the capsule is too big and they look a bit ridiculous. I'd submit some if they made a holder that was about the size of a comic book, but I suspect they're not ready to tool up for that.

I would consider it if I could request the slab size. Maybe a modern comic size would work best. It is probably the right thickness. I would hate to see it rattling around in a pulp case. They don’t seem to be very accommodating about requests. I would also like something on the label that indicates mine had the usually missing 2nd page. The one pictured above is the only graded one and is apparently missing this page. At least they seem aware of it. Just too many questions right now. 

On 5/14/2024 at 12:06 PM, waaaghboss said:

Interesting date stamp ... July 12, 1949 despite a copyright date of 1948. 

I watched this youtube a few days ago. It runs for just under 30 minutes, and features Isaac Asimov discussing the rebirth of science fiction in 1938. Start at 2:30 in if you wish to skip the narrators introduction. It's primarily a tribute to John W. Campbell and his contribution to imbuing science fiction stories with more realistic science. Asimov also mentions some of the key contributors of the rebirth.

On 6/12/2024 at 2:56 PM, Hap Hazard said:

Took another pulp run, a more interesting run with multiple title changes and book sizes. Being a Red Circle pulp their is some Timely crossover with Kirby art and

a House Ad for Marvel Mystery Comics featuring the Human Torch.

Marvel run.jpg

A great run that used to be so cheap. Glad I snatched up as many as I did.