• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The ALL Schomburg all-the-time thread...
15 15

591 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2021 at 9:28 PM, BB-Gun said:

5192691782_6d71457f2e_o.jpg

Thanks to Mr. Phillips for posting this photo a while back.  This work by Alex reminds me of Dali.

Alex, you are why I collect the way I do, and you are everything to me.  But, please, that shirt-tie combo?

On 8/2/2021 at 6:17 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Alex, you are why I collect the way I do, and you are everything to me.  But, please, that shirt-tie combo?

I'm impressed that Alex chose to wear a short tie as opposed to that dude ...what's his name... who used to wear red ties down to his crotch.  

On 8/4/2021 at 6:45 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Very impressive art, ...superb cover recreation with exceptional color pop.  The consigner's matte choice could've been a bit less flamboyant (the blue supported by red and white under-mattes is great, but the alternating red and white corner slits seem a bit much).  That said, in the right frame under plexiglass this piece would be killer.  

It'll be interesting to see what the final hammer price will look like on a Schomburg piece of that calibre given today's heated market. hm

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Ale added!

On 8/4/2021 at 4:45 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

:baiting:

374F62CE-7D38-47CF-936F-89B3E505B7B6.jpeg

On 8/4/2021 at 8:37 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Very impressive art, ...superb cover recreation with exceptional color pop.  The consigner's matte choice could've been a bit less flamboyant (the blue supported by red and white under-mattes is great, but the alternating red and white corner slits seem a bit much).  That said, in the right frame under plexiglass this piece would be killer.  

It'll be interesting to see what the final hammer price will look like on a Schomburg piece of that calibre given today's heated market. hm

His last piece went for around 50k (the original or recreation of the Overstreet Cover he did). I guess I'd take the over on this piece but agree it will be interesting to see!

On 8/5/2021 at 4:34 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Do we know where this is?  And there were no limited edition posters made, were there?

I have no tracings on that one. I’d gladly trade in my Cap 37 lithograph for that one. 

On 8/4/2021 at 6:45 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Wow! That is incredible! 

On 8/5/2021 at 2:49 PM, Primetime said:

I have no tracings on that one. I’d gladly trade in my Cap 37 lithograph for that one. 

Interesting. It’s the reverse order for me. Cap 37 and then AS 2. I know there’s a cap 37 in the Promise Collection, but I don’t know when it’ll pop up

On 8/5/2021 at 2:35 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Interesting. It’s the reverse order for me. Cap 37 and then AS 2. I know there’s a cap 37 in the Promise Collection, but I don’t know when it’ll pop up

AS2 fever caught me many years ago as you know. I’ve never owned a Cap 37. I suppose the big lithograph satisfied any thirst I had. 

On 8/5/2021 at 3:06 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

He provided two different covers for the OSG, one for #10 and one for #21.  Off hand, I don't know if either of these were recreations or variations of original covers, but the second one from '91 appears to be the better of the two (IMO, ...OMMV).

I'd think his commissioned cover recreations are that much more valued by collectors, but it depends on the scene, accuracy, level of detail or overall quality (eye appeal) of the work.  Note: Most of Schomburg's cover recreations are excellent, but some are much better rendered than others as he varied his technique and occasionally veered away from exactness in recreating comic covers.  Some cover recreations are arguably superior in every way to the original covers for one reason or another, Alex adding detail or subtle changes to the work making the art that much stronger.  In rare cases, the original cover illustration appears better rendered than the recreated art, but those are the exception.

One change worth noting is how he depicted the Japanese in recreating the last war cover for Marvel Mystery (#66).  In the original the colorist ...who I'm presuming was someone else in the Timely bullpen of artists... went with the common "yellow peril" trope used throughout the war that has become synonymous with racial insensitivity.  While my personal views on this are that war propaganda is part of the culture and should be appreciated as a product of it's time and the dire circumstances of war, when recreating the work you'll note that the caricatured Japanese airmen are NOT depicted with that stereotypical color trope.  This was a perfect choice the artist made actually improving the illustration without loss of any impact from the original.

Here's the comic & recreated painting for comparison...

f24cbf2d-4e1a-4c4e-b69b-9190beff1b51_zpsbe089f8c.jpg.b919c3b6343fa16c9e20b7ae31edd640.jpg  79f6732a-d96c-422b-95f7-7ae8f8bbee85_zpsbfpqnr0a.thumb.jpg.f1b79d99d7ad2ce7c5332820e2381d8d.jpg

IMO, this is one of his greatest cover recreations, if not the greatest, but everyone has their personal faves.   :luhv:

Thank you for the response. I learned a lot! As a newer folk, I'm also looking into the 3 lithograph set that was issued to see if I can find any. I hear they are huge but the pics I've seen have been amazing.