• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The ALL Schomburg all-the-time thread...
15 15

591 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2022 at 5:45 PM, alexgross.com said:

had to share this here- it's an oil painting commission that i just completed, and it's a recreation of alex schomburg's fantastic story cover with some adjustments to make it square and remove the type. i had a great time recreating one of his all time coolest images. 

Fantastic_Story-Recreation.jpg

fantastic-story-cover.jpg

That is STUNNING 😍 

On 8/11/2022 at 4:45 PM, alexgross.com said:

had to share this here- it's an oil painting commission that i just completed, and it's a recreation of alex schomburg's fantastic story cover with some adjustments to make it square and remove the type. i had a great time recreating one of his all time coolest images. 

I agree with Sagii, this is stunning, beautiful work; from my artist's perspective, very accurate and true to Alex's 1950's SF style.

The few alterations or flourishes you've added perfectly compliment his technique (the red skyline and cloud layering blends into the star field; it's subtle, and works quite well).  It was probably a tough judgment call going lighter on the horizon as Alex's dark horizon contributes to the darker mood and illusion of depth in the original composition, but your approach achieves a similar mood without loss of impact through the red sky and cirrostratus clouds. 

As a recreated work, this is definitely on the money ...and based on personal experience with various mediums, oil-based airbrush is tricky! Awesome work; congrats! 

:cheers:

On 8/11/2022 at 4:57 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

I agree with Sagii, this is stunning, beautiful work; from my artist's perspective, very accurate and true to Alex's 1950's SF style.

The few alterations or flourishes you've added perfectly compliment his technique (the red skyline and cloud layering blends into the star field; it's subtle, and works quite well).  It was probably a tough judgment call going lighter on the horizon as Alex's dark horizon contributes to the darker mood and illusion of depth in the original composition, but your approach achieves a similar mood without loss of impact through the red sky and cirrostratus clouds. 

As a recreated work, this is definitely on the money ...and based on personal experience with various mediums, oil-based airbrush is tricky! Awesome work; congrats! 

thank you cat-man, i appreciate the kind words. i did my best to maintain the integrity of his original piece while changing the shape of it dramatically. as it is also a large painting at 36 x 36 inches, i felt the need to add a bit more interest to the sky since it is bigger in my piece. 

it is not airbrush, just traditional oil paint. 

On 8/11/2022 at 2:45 PM, alexgross.com said:

Amazing piece! Very nice work. Very vibrant. Subtle changes that do not mess with the original. :x

On 8/11/2022 at 5:45 PM, alexgross.com said:

Insanely Amazing !!!!!!!!!  

On 8/12/2022 at 9:37 AM, alexgross.com said:

thank you cat-man, i appreciate the kind words. i did my best to maintain the integrity of his original piece while changing the shape of it dramatically. as it is also a large painting at 36 x 36 inches, i felt the need to add a bit more interest to the sky since it is bigger in my piece. 

.......so I figured you are no amateur with a piece like that, so I "looked" you up ..... you did cover art to 23 by Blonde Redhead  !!?????? I LOVE that album !! and the art BTW ^^

(ps you take commission requests ?)

Edited by fishbone

On 8/12/2022 at 8:37 AM, alexgross.com said:

It's even more impressive that you were able to achieve those subtle color gradations without the use of airbrush.  Absolutely love your work; everyone should visit your website. 

Almost everything I do now is either pen/ink, acrylic or ...more often... digital (pixels being cheaper and less messy than paint).  That said, the richness of oil for color and depth is hard to beat.  Many years ago I painted an ecologically themed composition in traditional oil (published as a program cover replicating a 50's era digest, but not directly inspired by Alex's work, so I'll put it in spoilers)...

Spoiler

FenconProgram1.jpg.bf9c77bcf33763dd436d6b56e2d42252.jpg

Some Schomburg Timelys have been upgraded, and while posting examples of books sold which haven't been replaced, there've also been some repurchased in higher grade.

Here's one of my Timely upgrades (9.0 OW/W, unrestored grade, but not CGC, so I'll sidestep the label)

The "ANTI INFRA-FLAME RAY" was one of the more diabolical weapons the Torch faced... 

4f89c970-0c08-4f14-8636-e993746f747d_zpsajoqfepz.jpg.9b3bd8ca9baff1032a8cdbce153ac44d.jpg

Documentation of it's dearly departed predecessor (CGC; apologies for the old pre-HP scanner image below; it required modest boosting)...

Spoiler

(edited)_.jpg.3aac5037a45b14a3c6a90b43ee9d79a5.jpg

August 1942, that's 80 years ago as the crow flies...  

Edited by Cat-Man_America
ALE!

On 12/19/2022 at 5:05 PM, Badger said:

"He swims in a league with which I cannot compete." - Chief lol

That’s funny. But it’s really true. The boardie you and I are speaking of has the best set of Timelys I’ve ever seen. Mine pales by comparison. Where I’ve got a 7.5, he’s got a 9.6

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 12/19/2022 at 5:40 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That’s funny. But it’s really true. The boardie you and I are speaking of has the best set of Timelys I’ve ever seen. Mine pales by comparison. Where I’ve got a 7.5, he’s got a 9.6

I know, I know. I just couldn't resist. What you posted is just outstanding and only certain individuals can out post you. :foryou: