• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The ALL Schomburg all-the-time thread...
15 15

591 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Sarg said:

I wonder if pink helmets on Nazi soldiers was intended as an insult? Why else color them pink?

The Nazis were a frivolous and playful bunch.... :banana:

Edited by G G ® ™
ytpo

1 hour ago, Sarg said:

Why did Alex abandon the style he used on his early covers like this one?

I'm glad he did. My favourite Schommies are the absolute 'loads happening' battle covers, but that's just my personal leaning. There's something about those busy covers that just scream Golden Age to me...and nobody did it better than AS.

1 hour ago, Sarg said:

Why did Alex abandon the style he used on his early covers like this one?

Evolution from his work in pulps ...including early crime pulp swipes... to style more reflective of costumed heroic characters in most comic lines.  Also, as international tensions started ratcheting up Alex concentrated more on war themed heroic comics.

2 minutes ago, G G ® ™ said:

I'm glad he did. My favourite Schommies are the absolute 'loads happening' battle covers, but that's just my personal leaning. There's something about those busy covers that just scream Golden Age to me...and nobody did it better than AS.

There's something to be said for both his evolution and earlier styled work.  Late in the war some of his covers look a bit rushed and with the enemy caricatured a bit too much, but those are few and far between and may also reflect misattributions or less fortuitous collaborations with an inker that didn't reflect Alex's style.   All of Alex's signed work I'm pretty sure is both penciled and inked by him though.

9 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

There's something to be said for both his evolution and earlier styled work.  Late in the war some of his covers look a bit rushed and with the enemy caricatured a bit too much, but those are few and far between and may also reflect misattributions or less fortuitous collaborations with an inker that didn't reflect Alex's style.   All of Alex's signed work I'm pretty sure is both penciled and inked by him though.

In my opinion there is also something childlike about his composition on the war covers. I was born in '57 and trust me when I say that kids were absolutely obsessed by the war until the mid 1960s in the Uk. We frequently drew battle scenes in school and the book I just posted today reminds me of the kind of thing we drew, minus super hero of course. In England we certainly were not aware of GA  American super heroes then. The book I posted to me represents a kids picture taken up many levels, that's one of the reasons why I love it.

6 hours ago, G G ® ™ said:

It was a pretty dramatic shift in styles. I love both styles, but if the labels did not say it,  I would not have guessed that it was the same artist.

On 6/22/2021 at 9:04 AM, mwotka said:

Here is a more obscure Schomburg romance cover.  A little change of pace from the battle scenes...

beatrice fairfax 7.jpg

This is anecdotal, but worth mentioning.  While this is definitely one of the more obscure Schomburg covers ...and a very nicely rendered one too... Beatrice Fairfax is far less obscure in that era.  In fact, Beatrice Fairfax had been a popular character for many years and there's even a silent movie serial devoted to her in 1916.  As a reporter she was also part detective, crimefighter and adventuress. (thumbsu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrice_Fairfax

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Added link