• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The ALL Schomburg all-the-time thread...
15 15

591 posts in this topic

On 8/5/2021 at 6:25 PM, Jginsberg79 said:

Thank you for the response. I learned a lot! As a newer folk, I'm also looking into the 3 lithograph set that was issued to see if I can find any. I hear they are huge but the pics I've seen have been amazing.

I believe the lithographs measure approximately the same size as the paintings from which they were shot for the Buccaneer Graphics prints (23" X 29" overall, image size 21" X 26" according to HA).  The unsigned lithos shouldn't cost you the family farm, ...the Schomburg signed limited editions (there were 150 and 10 artists proofs) will probably run $500 each and up depending on the condition gauging from past sales and the current market.  The S/N print I owned before purchasing the original sold for quite a bit more than $500 about six years back, but it was professionally matted and framed. 

:tink:

On 8/6/2021 at 2:14 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

I believe the lithographs measure approximately the same size as the paintings from which they were shot for the Buccaneer Graphics prints (23" X 29" overall, image size 21" X 26" according to HA).  The unsigned lithos shouldn't cost you the family farm, ...the Schomburg signed limited editions (there were 150 and 10 artists proofs) will probably run $500 each and up depending on the condition gauging from past sales and the current market.  The S/N print I owned before purchasing the original sold for quite a bit more than $500 about six years back, but it was professionally matted and framed. 

Thank you for the numbers! I found one (limited/signed) that may be for sale and we were just about to talk price so that's extremely useful (I very much want all 3 for my comic room). If I'm reading this right, did you say you purchased the original? Could we see a picture? That's such an amazing find! I'm just hoping to get his signature on one of the war books I love that I couldn't even imagine owning something like that or the cost (6-figures easily?).

On 8/6/2021 at 1:14 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

:hi: Looks great in my brand new comic room

On 8/12/2021 at 6:49 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I bought this off the Heritage exchange, only to find a piece of plastic had been left on Caps machine gun by the graders. So I just got it reholdered, and I asked cgc for a scan. Check it out!

211F84CE-E1B2-4DAA-920E-232BFAD139BB.jpeg

E7EF0BAB-F189-4C42-9EBA-0CB2CAFCE98F.jpeg

:x and they removed the “classic cover” from the label 👀

On 8/13/2021 at 5:54 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I know!!! Based on our recent convo I should have seen it coming, but it was still a shock

I'm glad they were able to remove the plastic piece and reholder without damage to the book.  You had to be sweatin' that.   Maybe it's just my eyes (probably), but there seems to be a trade-off in images.  In the newer image, the colors are lighter ...orange instead of red... and whites blown out a little, but details are a bit sharper (there's a definite difference perhaps because it's a photograph instead of a scan).  The color depth and "pop" seems washed out in the new image as you could even see "rose in Cap's & Subby's cheeks" in the earlier scan.  The CGC seems to be using HA's more recent approach to imaging.

Of course I have no idea how this book looks in hand in the new holder (beautiful book though).  I'm curious which color image looks more accurate to you?  hm

Edited by Cat-Man_America
reholder typo and a couple of other other errors

On 9/9/2021 at 9:01 PM, Hoarder said:

Just got it in the mail yesterday.  Freshly graded

Green Hornet 22 cgc 7 front cover.jpg

Wow, what a beautiful book. Just packed with Schomburg Action. 7.0 is such a great grade. Well presenting and a little more affordable. Congrats!

I have the Schomburg run on Hornet but I’m a little embarrassed to post them because most are pretty low grade...

On 9/12/2021 at 10:19 AM, Robot Man said:

Wow, what a beautiful book. Just packed with Schomburg Action. 7.0 is such a great grade. Well presenting and a little more affordable. Congrats!

I have the Schomburg run on Hornet but I’m a little embarrassed to post them because most are pretty low grade...

Go for it, man! I collect across the entire spectrum so I'd love to see them!

On 8/4/2021 at 8:37 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Very impressive art, ...superb cover recreation with exceptional color pop.  The consigner's matte choice could've been a bit less flamboyant (the blue supported by red and white under-mattes is great, but the alternating red and white corner slits seem a bit much).  That said, in the right frame under plexiglass this piece would be killer.  

It'll be interesting to see what the final hammer price will look like on a Schomburg piece of that calibre given today's heated market. hm

Hey Cat-Man. 46K was way more than I had expected. I was thinking maybe 10. People really love that Shomburg stuff.

I mean this artwork by Sheldon Moldoff sold a few months back on CL for 1,925.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Ddetective%2Bcomics%26ItemType%3DCA%23Item_1458113&id=1458113&itemType=1#detail

Not even 2 grand. 4 measley percent of what this Shomburg piece went for. And its Moldoff, and Batman! And Moldoff might have been the actual cover artist of the original book which is kind of cool. Plus he really maintained his hand talent all those years later. 

Anyway 45,600.  My point - People really love Shomburg

Edited by Professor K