• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The ALL Schomburg all-the-time thread...
15 15

591 posts in this topic

On 2/27/2024 at 2:44 PM, frozentundraguy said:

This book just arrived. In fact the tracking number quit functioning yesterday which had me pondering all kinds of scenarios. At any rate I have been looking off and on for several years for a nice copy of either a Black Terror or Exciting Comics issue, with a Black terror cover with some action. This book worked on all of those accounts, and it's a Schomburg cover to boot. I doubt if the three thieves in the car planned on buying any war bonds with the bag of loot.

exciting_comics_38_A2.JPG

:applause:

I love the little skull-&-bones on his motorcycle, never noticed that before.

On 2/29/2024 at 11:28 AM, frozentundraguy said:

I just took a tour of all 29 pages of this thread, :x    and noticed I had not posted my other two books with Schomburg covers.

There's a bit of restoration going on in my copy of Thrilling Comics #54, but it presents pretty well.

image.jpeg.c3560a0e1b175c26214854f9b40cf86a.jpeg

Startling Comics #40, lots going on here with KKK types, bondage, a sacrificial ritual, hypnotism, knives thrown, shots fired, and a rock solid punch. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d45e0bc685ba78009c7dfe569e2f506f.jpeg

Great stuff, Dale! I had a Startling #40 ages ago and regretfully sold it. Fantastic cover, so over-the-top with dense and bizarre details. 

On 2/29/2024 at 11:28 AM, frozentundraguy said:

I just took a tour of all 29 pages of this thread, :x    and noticed I had not posted my other two books with Schomburg covers.

There's a bit of restoration going on in my copy of Thrilling Comics #54, but it presents pretty well.

Thanks for liking some of mine. (thumbsu #54 has classic Schomburg tropes. One of my favorites.

On 4/3/2024 at 6:44 PM, miraclemet said:

My all time favorite Startling Comic and Schomburg arrived...

20240402_160922-ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter.gif.5c5eee1574b6b79e81839e668c385230.gif

That's awesome, congrats! I love that cover too. I've got a decent copy but the colors don't pop like on yours.

On 4/6/2024 at 9:05 PM, Dr. Love said:

How come Schomie did no interior work?

Easy money and probably a preference for doing covers as opposed to the grind of multi-panel story telling.

I only recall a couple interiors, including all of Don Juan.

On 4/6/2024 at 9:05 PM, Dr. Love said:

How come Schomie did no interior work?

Gil Kane spoke favorably of his deal with Marvel in the 70s when he drew hundreds of covers.  It was essential for keeping up with his alimony payments.

Posted (edited)
On 4/6/2024 at 8:12 PM, adamstrange said:

Easy money and probably a preference for doing covers as opposed to the grind of multi-panel story telling.

He also did a substantial number of pulp interior illustrations, but you're right, covers paid quite a bit more and accepting deadlines for fully illustrated stories would've been challenging and probably not the best use of his time given the demands placed on it. His pulp and ...after comics... digest covers were also in high demand, not to mention book and magazine covers, advertising, etc. He was rarely short of work throughout his career as an illustrator, including commissions.

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Ale and more words!

On 4/6/2024 at 6:12 PM, adamstrange said:

he did grind it out for his main man Goodman for years in another venue, that being Everyday Astrology, a monthly "magazine" - covers and 8-10 quarter and half splashes and many small panels per issue even as he walked away from comics.  Artists of his generation often aspired more to be seen as illustrators to adult themed content than as cartoonish creators for younger readers.

image.thumb.jpeg.bcf67795bff4500740cbffb00485be7b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a8bafe568b8ce26c68dfa127cdb068b6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a605957a210c1f58a34bed23cff17a15.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7e76a101461b3eda0016cc39f12aed46.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.388d5c729e26f135f31a8fc708bf3b52.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f165a09ec90a8002c5d2170b1db2fc0f.jpeg

Edited by Dr. Love