• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The ALL Schomburg all-the-time thread...
15 15

591 posts in this topic

On 5/6/2023 at 2:25 AM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

Wow I love these All-New covers! I'm eager to get my hands on a copy, but these seem to go for Timely prices...

There may be a separate category for Schomburg prices (lol)! hm

I don’t want to turn this thread into a “Have Prices Eased Up” thread, but thought this might be worth a comment: If there’s ever a Schomburg book I thought would be impervious to the current financial headwinds, it would have to be Cap 46.  But the Clink auction tonight proved me wrong. A 2.5 sold for $13k six months ago, but only hammered for $8600 tonight. Now is definitely the time to jump in on Schomburg! 

On 5/30/2023 at 9:15 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I don’t want to turn this thread into a “Have Prices Eased Up” thread, but thought this might be worth a comment: If there’s ever a Schomburg book I thought would be impervious to the current financial headwinds, it would have to be Cap 46.  But the Clink auction tonight proved me wrong. A 2.5 sold for $13k six months ago, but only hammered for $8600 tonight. Now is definitely the time to jump in on Schomburg! 

An interesting result. CLink auctions can be unpredictable, as bidders are often looking for lower grade bargains; my impression is this is where they're going to be found if they exist at all.  #46 is a key among highly sought after Caps, so a 32% drop does seem like a low-ball result for a Schomburg classic, but there are just too many variables to draw any firm conclusions.

Was this result an outlier, trend or something else? ...That's the $64,000 question. 

On 6/1/2023 at 7:28 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

True dat. But it was the exact same copy, so that eliminates one possible explanation 

Absolutely, and I sympathize with the original owner's loss while celebrating the winner's bargain acquisition.  

In analyzing the result, the question becomes one of a myriad of factors which may differentiate a trend from an outlier. Looking at this with a critical eye ...assuming the prior owner misjudged... the mistake might simply be one of trying to flip a well recognized book too soon after winning it. Of course this fails to take into account the seller's rationale or needs which might've prompted his/her desire to move that particular copy so soon, but it certainly could've made a difference in bidder interest.

I'm assuming the earlier auction was CC (I didn't see any recent auctions of a 2.5 copy on the HA site). If that's the case, the former owner took a risk trying to reach different bidders ...and apparently succeeded! Dealers often pick up books at bargain prices from CLink auctions for booth walls, stores or website sales.

Misjudgments in Timely land are expensive! :bigsmile:

9320c336-5676-450d-a6fb-39d7d6993f9f_zpsxdo1rs66.jpeg.fb9f7906735f1bf596547ac7334627b5.jpeg 

On 5/31/2023 at 12:51 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

An interesting result. CLink auctions can be unpredictable, as bidders are often looking for lower grade bargains; my impression is this is where they're going to be found if they exist at all.  #46 is a key among highly sought after Caps, so a 32% drop does seem like a low-ball result for a Schomburg classic, but there are just too many variables to draw any firm conclusions.

Was this result an outlier, trend or something else? ...That's the $64,000 question. 

Census numbers have been growing by leaps and bounds for some of these books, haven't they? I don't know about Cap 46 specifically, but that could be a factor for some books.

On 6/4/2023 at 8:58 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Census numbers have been growing by leaps and bounds for some of these books, haven't they? I don't know about Cap 46 specifically, but that could be a factor for some books.

That's the ironic rub, "leaps and bounds" may in fact be responsible for some census numbers, especially for books resubmitted after being cracked out without labels included. The actual numbers of graded books may be inaccurate because of repetition on the list for some grades and/or grade bumps.  Just sayin'. (shrug)

On 5/30/2023 at 10:15 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Those numbers are out of my wheelhouse, but it seems tough to find any notable (graded) Schomburgs for under $1k as of late. I've been lucky to nab all of mine for under $500, but that well seems to be drying up.

On 6/11/2023 at 8:00 AM, Ameri said:

I finally picked up this low grade copy of the Sept 1939 Startling pulp, Schomburg's first cover. It went from the original 15c, to a handwritten 25c, then to 30c and 75c. This one exchanged hands a lot.  

scan0527b.jpg

scan0527c.JPG

Thanks for sharing this! I'm adding this to my want list!  (thumbsu

I finally picked up this low grade copy of the Sept 1939 Startling pulp, Schomburg's first cover. It went from the original 15c, to a handwritten 25c, then to 30c and 75c. This one exchanged hands a lot.  

scan0527b.jpg

scan0527c.JPG

Congrats! An excellent example of Schomburg easily moving between air brush for pulps and pen/ink mediums for comics (seven years before "Xela" air brushed covers for Standard). 

On 6/11/2023 at 6:00 AM, Ameri said:

scan0527b.jpg

scan0527c.JPG

And now destined to be trapped for the long term 😆 

scan0527b.jpg

scan0527c.JPG

Why don’t you go ahead and write $1.00 on it and send it my way