• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official TMNT Speculation Thread
14 14

1,222 posts in this topic

Oh sweet hell...

guys....I think it was my friend who bought the scam 2nd print off Ebay. He's has basically been living vicariously through my comic purchases for decades now due to his costly family life, but has always wanted a TMNT #1 someday - I've been sending him GOOD decent deal links to buy them for years now (Just last month he passed on a decent 3rd print I showed him that was only $350 because it was 'too expensive') but then he just suddenly emails me today saying he bought his grail...and showed me the pics.

Usually I get text messages and emails weekly from him with long lists of ebay links he is considering buying - which I have to vet and tell him are not great deals...but this time, no warning or asking of advice...he just pulled the trigger!

:tonofbricks:

edit update: He isn't totally dumb. He knows he bought a reprint, and he only paid $70 for it but kept talking like it was a legit 2nd print he paid lots for. Whew...at least that's one crisis averted.

20220110_225052.thumb.jpg.8be8f0a993289a8d62c949382138726a.jpg

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 1/11/2022 at 10:04 AM, valiantman said:

Leeroy Jenkins!!!!! :whee:

A summarization of all the text messages he is going to wake up to from me this morning:

E2KhzOy.jpg.471c2089d5b0fe947cf1107b16e11590.jpg

my new priority is now making sure he hasn't already sent it off to CGC for grading (which he loves to do with all his books regardless of value or condition...I keep pulling my hair out when he submits ragged 0.5 common silver age books that could be bought already graded for less money!)

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 1/11/2022 at 9:09 AM, Sauce Dog said:

A summarization of all the text messages he is going to wake up to from me this morning:

my new priority is now making sure he hasn't already sent it off to CGC for grading (which he loves to do with all his books regardless of value or condition...I keep pulling my hair out when he submits ragged 0.5 common silver age books that could be bought already graded for less money!)

Is he at least filling a Samsonite briefcase with Post-It Note IOUs to himself?

On 1/11/2022 at 9:44 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Oh sweet hell...

guys....I think it was my friend who bought the scam 2nd print off Ebay. He's has basically been living vicariously through my comic purchases for decades now due to his costly family life, but has always wanted a TMNT #1 someday - I've been sending him GOOD decent deal links to buy them for years now (Just last month he passed on a decent 3rd print I showed him that was only $350 because it was 'too expensive') but then he just suddenly emails me today saying he bought his grail...and showed me the pics.

Usually I get text messages and emails weekly from him with long lists of ebay links he is considering buying - which I have to vet and tell him are not great deals...but this time, no warning or asking of advice...he just pulled the trigger!

:tonofbricks:

20220110_225052.thumb.jpg.8be8f0a993289a8d62c949382138726a.jpg

Looks legit to me.  Even says 2nd printing

SIGH...that dummy. He got back to me and knows it was a reprint he bought - but he didn't mention that in his emails to me. He bought the hardcover edition to get the reprint for $70, but he didn't say that and only showed me ebay photos of what his copy looks like and kept saying it was a second print.

So crisis averted...he didn't pay a thousand for it and isn't totally bonkers. whew

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 1/11/2022 at 9:48 AM, Sauce Dog said:

SIGH...that dummy. He got back to me and knows it was a reprint he bought - but he didn't mention that in his emails to me. He bought the hardcover edition to get the reprint for $70, but he didn't say that and only showed me ebay photos of what his copy looks like and kept saying it was a second print.

So crisis averted...he didn't pay a thousand for it and isn't totally bonkers. whew

On 1/11/2022 at 3:48 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Your friend was smart to buy the book as that seems the cheaper way to get that reprint!

On 12/3/2021 at 8:37 AM, TMNT said:

Nobody knows the future of course. But for what it's worth, the book has always gone up in value ever since 84. Not explosively so as everything has lately during covid, but its always gone up. 

I guess you probably wasn't around back in the 90's then, as you certainly can't say the book was going up during this time period.  :gossip:

I just checked my copies of the Overstreet guides for some kind of indication and it showed top of guide for TMNT 1 at $325 in his 1991 guide and from there, drifted all the way down to only $120 by the 2000 price guide.  Of course, we all know that old slow Bob is very conservative when it came to his valuations, but what we know even more is that he ABSOLUTELY hated to ever have to lower prices in his guide, so for him to show a declining price trend for 10 years is really really saying something about what was happening to the valuation of TMNT 1 during that time period.  hm

On 1/12/2022 at 2:16 AM, lou_fine said:

I guess you probably wasn't around back in the 90's then, as you certainly can't say the book was going up during this time period.  :gossip:

I just checked my copies of the Overstreet guides for some kind of indication and it showed top of guide for TMNT 1 at $325 in his 1991 guide and from there, drifted all the way down to only $120 by the 2000 price guide.  Of course, we all know that old slow Bob is very conservative when it came to his valuations, but what we know even more is that he ABSOLUTELY hated to ever have to lower prices in his guide, so for him to show a declining price trend for 10 years is really really saying something about what was happening to the valuation of TMNT 1 during that time period.  hm

I'd guess that 1997 saw it truly drop.  The cartoon ended, the comics were in disarray, the Playmates line were done, no more movies in the pipeline, even the Archie run was over.  It took another 6 years before the Turtles came back into relevance (with the 03 cartoon), so I wouldn't be surprised if people thought the Turtles was dead at that point.

On 1/12/2022 at 8:21 AM, Bronty said:

Yeah I bought a couple copies for around $200ea or so in that time frame on ebay.   Sold them like a player for double or triple later lol 

Yeah, I remember thinking in the 90's that I had avoided the big fall off the edge of the cliff after turning down the LCS owner's offer of ordering a copy of TMNT 1 for me back in the 80's for the ridiculous and utterly outrageous sum of $300.  After taking a look at a copy which he had just acquired for another customer, I handed that toxic POS looking book back to him as fast as I could and looked for somewhere to wash my hands to get all that soiled poop off, thinking nobody in their right mind would pay even $3 for that book with that horrendous looking artwork.  :fear:  :sick:

Being the mainstream type of collector, I then proceeded to immediately doubled down on my mistake by instead ordering the signed and number hardcover edition of the Dark Knight book for $40, and a book which is probably worth no more than a roll of toilet paper today which is probably all it's good for anyways.  doh!  lol  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/12/2022 at 4:17 PM, lou_fine said:

Being the mainstream type of collector, I then proceeded to immediately doubled down on my mistake by instead ordering the signed and number hardcover edition of the Dark Knight book for $40, and a book which is probably worth no more than a roll of toilet paper today which is probably all it's good for anyways.  doh!  lol  :censored:

I really liked that S/N hardcover.   Kind of pizzes me off that its worth nothing.

On 1/12/2022 at 4:17 PM, lou_fine said:

Yeah, I remember thinking in the 90's that I had avoided the big fall off the edge of the cliff after turning down the LCS owner's offer of ordering a copy of TMNT 1 for me back in the 80's for the ridiculous and utterly outrageous sum of $300.  After taking a look at a copy which he had just acquired for another customer, I handed that toxic POS looking book back to him as fast as I could and looked for somewhere to wash my hands to get all that soiled poop off, thinking nobody in their right mind would pay even $3 for that book with that horrendous looking artwork.  :fear:  :sick:

You have this monologue saved somewhere, I assume. You break it out once a month or so. 

On 1/12/2022 at 1:30 PM, Bronty said:

I really liked that S/N hardcover.   Kind of pizzes me off that its worth nothing.

Well, it's definitely worth SOMETHING if you are traveling in a foreign country and bring your copy into the squat potty to read while doing your doodie, only to find out that it's got no toilet paper.  :roflmao:

On 1/12/2022 at 1:38 PM, Ryan. said:

You have this monologue saved somewhere, I assume. You break it out once a month or so. 

Good humour, or bad humour in this case here is everlasting.  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine