• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

Even in the wake of Matt Reeves’ sensational The Batman — which I absolutely loved, by the way — it’s hard not to wonder where the DC Extended Universe might be right now had the higher-ups allowed Snyder to complete his vision. From what I remember, it’s likely his entire run would have come to an end by now, which means we would’ve received three Justice League movies, solo films for Ben Affleck’s Batman, Ray Fisher’s Cyborg, Ezra Miller’s Flash, and likely another Man of Steel (Henry Cavill).

Imagine having all of that and then getting The Batman with Robert Pattinson? That’s the stuff of dreams.

No matter. Zack Snyder’s Justice League still works as a grand finale to the man’s trilogy of comic book films, namely Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Watched back-to-back-to-back, the three features form a solid beginning, middle, and end while foreshadowing future possibilities. Sure, we can dream, but if Justice League marks the end then what an epic conclusion it was.

At any rate, I think audiences would’ve flipped for Zack Snyder’s Justice League had it been released as originally intended. Keep in mind, both Man of Steel and Batman v Superman, while not Avengers-like successes, were gobbled up by the public when they hit DVD/Blu-ray. Audiences also flocked to Suicide Squad ($746 million), Wonder Woman ($822.3 million), and Aquaman ($1.148 billion), clearly taken by Snyder’s iteration of the characters. (By comparison, the highest post-Snyder DCEU film is Shazam!, which earned $365M worldwide.) Considering Snyder and screenwriter Chris Terrio went to great pains to make Justice League lighter and more accessible to audiences — at least, compared to the previous two entries — I imagine a little more patience on WB’s part might have ultimately paid off in the long run.

That’s the odd thing about this whole DCEU mess I’ve never understood. WB clearly wasn’t happy with the direction Snyder was taking its arsenal of characters. Critics pounded Man of Steel and Batman v Superman for their dark tones and overt violence. As such, Snyder obliged and delivered an epic film that’s practically dripping with hope. In Justice League, Superman returns and finally becomes the hero we all know and love (replete with a classic shirt rip), “Batfleck” at long last exercises his demons and transforms into the classic Batman, Cyborg discovers his place among the world, Flash makes peace with his father, Wonder Woman stands as one of Earth’s mightiest protectors, and Aquaman heads home to claim his rightful seat as the King of Atlantis.

Re-watched in full on Saturday. Absolutely epic. My mind keeps wanting to call it a "masterpiece", but I know that's wrong.

Often times I will see my old movie ratings and they will have changed since my first few viewing(s), but this one is still a solid 4.5/5. In my mind, I was marking down all of the scenes that I would shorten or remove that would make this a true (and more re-watchable) director's cut.

The first scene that got me giddy was Wonder Woman's intro. My soundbar was at full volume. The vibrating SFX for her lasso while she briefly interrogates that guy is just amazing, and her saying "boring" is so damn in-character. Idk why, but that moment really felt so cool for some reason.

On 3/28/2022 at 4:17 AM, Bosco685 said:

:manhero:

I really can’t think of a better cheer moment in any comic book movie. Ever. And I’m not saying JL is the best CB movie.

Actually I take that back. Nostalgia is too powerful. Catching Lois from the helicopter in Superman trumps everything. IF you saw it in 1978. If not, you just wouldn’t get it.

On 3/29/2022 at 1:20 AM, William-James88 said:

If your mind wants to call it a masterpiece, let it do so :)

There are definitely some masterpiece scenes, but the sum of its parts is just too bloated for me to use that as a description of the whole film.

On 3/29/2022 at 1:20 AM, William-James88 said:

If your mind wants to call it a masterpiece, let it do so :)

Hear, hear!

We have experienced something like never before, where a major studio was forced to allow a director to release not only the version he had envisioned. But even more because HBO Max wanted to fill more time, so it allowed for close to all the content to be included minus the Green Lantern Ryan Reynolds/Wayne T. Carr (Kilowog, John Stewart) appearances.

His logic on why Spider-Man: No Way Home's 'Three Spider-Men land' is what made me vote the way I did in my Oscars contest. And I was wrong.

:shiftyeyes:

Edited by Bosco685