• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

The aspect ratio of Zack Snyder's Justice League is taller than most films, meaning fans will be seeing more of the heroes they love, literally.

Zack Snyder’s Justice League will look slightly different from typical Hollywood films thanks to a taller aspect ratio. Joss Whedon's Justice League was very different to Snyder's vision, with the movie having underwent several -script changes and reshoots following the latter's exit and the former taking over production. Zack Snyder’s Justice League, then, will deliver what the director originally captured on film unencumbered by industry standards, a fact, perhaps, best embodied by the film’s 1.37:1 aspect ratio.

Justice League was shot entirely on 35mm film and released in 2017 with a 1.85:1 aspect ratio, a widescreen film format commonly used in Hollywood since the 1950s. A conventional 35mm film negative that is four perforations tall captures an image on a 21.95 x 16mm frame, resulting in a 1.37:1 aspect ratio. As opposed to anamorphic widescreen, which retains all the information within this frame, Justice League’s 1.85:1 ratio is achieved by cropping off the top and bottom of the image in a process known as “flat” widescreen. Most theaters are designed with a widescreen image in mind, but IMAX theaters feature much larger screens at an approximate 1.43:1 aspect ratio very similar to the aesthetic of 35mm film.

Zack Snyder shot sequences of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice in IMAX film that, when projected onto IMAX screens, were rendered in full frame, 1.43:1 aspect ratio. Speaking at Justice Con in July 2020, Snyder revealed how these sequences got him obsessed with the “big square” and influenced his decision to compose and shoot Justice League with this aspect ratio in mind, intending for the film to be shown in its entirety on a giant, 1.43:1 IMAX screen. The loss of information that occurs as a result of cutting a frame down for a 1.85:1 widescreen ratio is less significant if the frame is composed with this cropping in mind, but when it’s not, like in Justice League, the deleted space could contain significant information. Either way, the cropped film is not a true representation of the director’s vision, which is why much of the restoration for the Snyder Cut consists of restoring the original squares that were meant to be projected just as they were composed, in a 1.37:1 aspect ratio.

18 minutes ago, RickSp said:

Probably a stupid question but when viewing this on a standard flat screen TV is it likely to default to try and fit the image to the screen?

Not a stupid question. I think it will. Though then Cyborg may present you with the hi-def magic chicken.

emotion01.thumb.gif.a03ed4bea516e489c44249d991ca2ca0.gif

Reminder: there will be a B&W version.

Zack Snyder is creating a fully black and white version of his cut of Justice League, though it's unclear when and where that version will debut.

Zack Snyder is creating a fully black and white version of his cut of Justice League, though it's unclear when and where that version will debut. Justice League has had one of the stranger journeys of any modern film; after the polarizing reaction to 2016's Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice, Warner Bros. began to rethink their DC Comics film plans. Midway through production of Justice League, Snyder left the production to deal with a family tragedy. Still, the common consensus seems to be he and the studio were headed for a breakup after the film anyway.

Snyder is now confirming another of his pet projects for Justice League will likely see the light of day, as he confirmed there will be a black and white version of his Justice League in an interview with Minutemen, which he calls the "Justice Is Gray" version. He said, "We're finishing right now the black and white version of Justice League. It's called the Justice Is Gray Edition. That's what I call it."

It's unclear when and where this black and white version will debut. Snyder has said his ideal version of the cut would be in black and white in IMAX theaters, but the pandemic has put the kibosh on any extensive theatrical showings for the foreseeable future. If the full-color version of Justice League turns out to be a hit for HBO Max, it wouldn't be shocking to see the streamer take on the black and white version as well.

:banana:

I don't really care about the Justice is Gray version. I mean, I'll buy it, just because I like have the 'ultimate' physical media editions. It'll be good to have if I'm ever interested in taking a gander at it. I just think that effects like Superman's laser-vision, Flash's lightning, etc would all look lame with no color. 2c

2 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

I don't really care about the Justice is Gray version. I mean, I'll buy it, just because I like have the 'ultimate' physical media editions. It'll be good to have if I'm ever interested in taking a gander at it. I just think that effects like Superman's laser-vision, Flash's lightning, etc would all look lame with no color. 2c

I’ll bet that Gray version will just be a special feature added on the main release. 

2 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I’ll bet that Gray version will just be a special feature added on the main release. 

Educated Guess: There will be a regular $20 release, and some sort of "Ultimate" release that includes all of the extras. I usually get the most expensive release for all of the Batman/Superman/Avengers stuff.