• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Whitman Thread
15 15

615 posts in this topic

There was a ton of hype around DCCP #1 as well, as I recall. Brave and the Bold with its Batman team-ups was pretty popular, and the idea of a Superman team-up book made sense with all the movie hype. This was also the time that the Superman/Shazam, Superman/Muhammad Ali and Superman/Wonder Woman treasuries were being published.

I think that DCCP #1 may have broken through the whole "Whitmans are reprints" stigma, and become the first Whitman that was deliberately saved and collected.

On 11/11/2023 at 8:51 PM, sd2416 said:

Didnt want to start a new thread with this one active.  Can someone point me to a thread or a list of all the Whitman variants?  Im putting together a few spreadsheets to have in my dropbox.  

Thank you in advance.  

Do you mean Gold Key Whitmans, DC Whitmans or Marvel "Fat Diamond" Whitmans?

On 11/10/2023 at 8:40 PM, bellrules said:

Mail call! Scored these from Facebook. Some sealed Whitman prepacks that contain Donald Duck 221, Chip n Dale 67, WDCS 479, Looney Tunes 33, Pink Panther 75, Daffy Duck 129 and Super Goof  60.

IMG_0855.jpeg

IMG_0856.jpeg

IMG_0857.jpeg

IMG_0858.jpeg

IMG_0859.jpeg

IMG_0860.jpeg

IMG_0863.jpeg

IMG_0862.jpeg

Tweety an Sylvester my favorite cover of the bunch👍‼️

On 11/12/2023 at 8:45 AM, Brock said:

Do you mean Gold Key Whitmans, DC Whitmans or Marvel "Fat Diamond" Whitmans?

Really, all of them.  Just making lists of things to look for all in one place.  I thought I had seen a list in one of the threads.  Genius me tried the seach and there was too many threads to look through.  

Im making a list of 
DCU variants
.30 variants
.35 cent variants
Whitmans
etc, etc

On 11/14/2023 at 9:52 AM, sd2416 said:

Really, all of them.  Just making lists of things to look for all in one place.  I thought I had seen a list in one of the threads.  Genius me tried the seach and there was too many threads to look through.  

Im making a list of 
DCU variants
.30 variants
.35 cent variants
Whitmans
etc, etc

For starters, you can grab a list of DC Whitmans from the CGC DC Whitman Registry set

Im making a list of 
DCU variants
.30 variants
.35 cent variants
Whitmans
etc, etc

On 11/15/2023 at 5:22 PM, Warlord said:

For starters, you can grab a list of DC Whitmans from the CGC DC Whitman Registry set

Yes, I think for the DC Whitmans the registry set is the best at the moment. I worked a bit with them last year to clean that list up, and I think it's pretty good.

For others, it's much harder. Doug Sulipa's retail website has a tone of good information, but it's super hard to navigate. He basically just keeps adding to it over time, with no real though to navigation or readability. This general approach also means that errors and opinions get embedded alongside fact, and are never really removed.

I like the comicspriceguide.com site for the Gold Key Whitmans. They separate Whitman and Gold Key out as distinct publishers, so you can search titles under Whitman for quick access to variant lists. However, this site is largely crowd-sourced - that means it gets more accurate over time, but it is also incomplete. Basically, if a book is there it pretty much proves that it does exist, but if it's not, you can't take that as evidence that no Whitman version exists.

For Marvels, I'll defer to someone else who may know more... My own (personal) opinion is that they aren't actually Whitmans, so I have paid less attention to them over time.

Here's my latest finds from this week, and more circumstantial evidence that the 8-12/80 Gold Key Whitmans had stronger distribution in Canada. These are all tough 10/80 books. The Flash Gordon and Looney Tunes book (there it is again!) were found in Moncton, New Brunswick on Wednesday, and the others just outside of Calgary, Alberta ion Thursday.

Whitman.jpeg

Im making a list of 
DCU variants
.30 variants
.35 cent variants
Whitmans
etc, etc

@sd2416

Here's an excellent spreadsheet of Complete Published List of Gold Key Whitman's and Whitman Whitman's

For Gold Key, Whitman fans it's an indispensable document.   It's greater than 95% accurate but certainly not 100%.  The inaccuracies are generally confined to publication date - specifically the months. I've had it now for 10 years, sadly I am unable to determine the original creator to provide proper credit. Will post the creators info if I find it.

The Whitman's first kick-off in 1971.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/uwk9nod6jqciw8c/Gold_Key_-_Whitman_-_complete_publishing_list_-_Date_Sorted.xls/file

Sample (sorted by title) - "W" indicates Whitman if that version exists.
image.png

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/18/2023 at 9:17 AM, Brock said:

Here's my latest finds from this week, and more circumstantial evidence that the 8-12/80 Gold Key Whitmans had stronger distribution in Canada. These are all tough 10/80 books. The Flash Gordon and Looney Tunes book (there it is again!) were found in Moncton, New Brunswick on Wednesday, and the others just outside of Calgary, Alberta ion Thursday.

Whitman.jpeg

Where near Calgary? Was it Snap or Treasure Cove?

On 11/18/2023 at 8:00 PM, bellrules said:

Where near Calgary? Was it Snap or Treasure Cove?

Yes, sorry - I'm poaching your territory. It was Snap, though I did visit Treasure Cove as well. I paid more than I'm usually comfortable with for them, but they were pretty nice copies. 

On 11/19/2023 at 8:17 AM, Brock said:

Yes, sorry - I'm poaching your territory. It was Snap, though I did visit Treasure Cove as well. I paid more than I'm usually comfortable with for them, but they were pretty nice copies. 

Happy you found some. Had I known you were there, I might have driven down from Edmonton. If you’re still in YYC on Sunday, check out the Hillhurst market 

On 11/18/2023 at 12:56 PM, MAR1979 said:

@sd2416

Here's an excellent spreadsheet of Complete Published List of Gold Key Whitman's and Whitman Whitman's

For Gold Key, Whitman fans it's an indispensable document.   It's greater than 95% accurate but certainly not 100%.  The inaccuracies are generally confined to publication date - specifically the months. I've had it now for 10 years, sadly I am unable to determine the original creator to provide proper credit. Will post the creators info if I find it.

The Whitman's first kick-off in 1971.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/uwk9nod6jqciw8c/Gold_Key_-_Whitman_-_complete_publishing_list_-_Date_Sorted.xls/file

Sample (sorted by title) - "W" indicates Whitman if that version exists.
image.png

Fantastic list!  There are 2,202 Whitman version issues on the list for Gold Key issues! (assuming it's accurate, I'd be amazed if there aren't some omissions.)   

It would be an ambitious undertaking to even try to collect a single version of each Whitman! :ohnoez: :jawdrop:  And then you'd also want to collect both the white and yellow Whitman logo versions! lol

Edited by Warlord

On 11/19/2023 at 7:18 PM, Warlord said:

It would be an ambitious undertaking to even try to collect a single version of each Whitman! :ohnoez: :jawdrop:  

Now I’m morbidly curious about trying to find foreign editions of the “missing” Whitmans.  I know the stories for Black Hole 5 and Buck Rogers 10 were printed in other countries, and I assume others were as well.

Does anyone have a list handy of the unpublished issues we know about?

Is this Whitman list of any use to anyone? Also, what's the real difference between the yellow and white W logos? Which one is rarer? I see yellow ones on eBay a lot, but rarely the white ones, so I would imagine that the latter is rarer.

Personally, I'm more of a Gold Key fan, although I pick up Whitman if there's no Gold Key "variant". But I do entire series, not just individual issues of various characters.

On a side note, I had to buy a large Chip 'n' Dale lot to fill some gaps for the series, so I'll end up with a handful of Whitman copies to have to resell, which I plan to do so at cost + shipping (I'm not looking to profit off of it). If anyone is interested in any of these issues, let me know and I'll hold onto them for you: Chip 'n' Dale #71, 74, 76, 77, 78, 82. (Grades for each of them are not yet available as I have to wait for the package to arrive in the mail first, but they are likely to be at least VG.)

Edited by stormflora

On 11/21/2023 at 7:20 PM, stormflora said:

Is this Whitman list of any use to anyone? Also, what's the real difference between the yellow and white W logos? Which one is rarer? I see yellow ones on eBay a lot, but rarely the white ones, so I would imagine that the latter is rarer.

Personally, I'm more of a Gold Key fan, although I pick up Whitman if there's no Gold Key "variant". But I do entire series, not just individual issues of various characters.

On a side note, I had to buy a large Chip 'n' Dale lot to fill some gaps for the series, so I'll end up with a handful of Whitman copies to have to resell, which I plan to do so at cost + shipping (I'm not looking to profit off of it). If anyone is interested in any of these issues, let me know and I'll hold onto them for you: Chip 'n' Dale #71, 74, 76, 77, 78, 82. (Grades for each of them are not yet available as I have to wait for the package to arrive in the mail first, but they are likely to be at least VG.)

This was from the Comic Buyers Guide from back in the day. They started selling Whitman books to comic shops directly on top of the bagged sets. They went to white to distinguish them from their bagged counterparts. 

IMG_5670.jpeg

On 11/21/2023 at 9:26 PM, bellrules said:

This was from the Comic Buyers Guide from back in the day. They started selling Whitman books to comic shops directly on top of the bagged sets. They went to white to distinguish them from their bagged counterparts. 

IMG_5670.jpeg

So... The white W variants are cheaper direct variants and the typical yellow W variants are newsstand/comic store?

I wonder why the white variants seem rarer than the yellow ones. Could it be because not many people bothered to order them directly?