• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Whitman Thread
15 15

615 posts in this topic

Here's another sad sale... New Adventures of Superboy #8 (Whitman) in CGC 9.4 sold for $3.25 yesterday:

New Adventures of Superboy #8 1980 DC Comics CGC 9.4 WHITE | eBay

The seller did not have Canadian or international bidding or shipping authorized, and did not respond to messages sent 6 days before the end of the auction. I'd have paid him about 40 or 50 times that amount...

Hi I have been trying to do a run of whitman titled beagle boy vs Uncle Scrooge 1-12 had a few already got completely stuck on issues 10 and 11 have seen pictures but all the platforms leave those blank are these really out there any information would be helpful 

On 9/27/2023 at 10:38 AM, Williamtt said:

Hi I have been trying to do a run of whitman titled beagle boy vs Uncle Scrooge 1-12 had a few already got completely stuck on issues 10 and 11 have seen pictures but all the platforms leave those blank are these really out there any information would be helpful 

They exist but very scarce. Good luck with your search.

Hi @Williamtt (and thanks to @Get Marwood & I for pointing you in our direction) -

We'll see who else chimes in as there is lots of Whitman expertise here. I have to start by saying that part of what draws many of us to Whitmans is that there are still a lot of mysteries left to solve. Generally (i.e. rule of thumb), we can say that prior to 1980, Western published its line under the Gold Key label, with many (but not all) issues also published with a Whitman logo. The general consensus is that Whitmans were non-returnable, while Gold Keys were returnable. After about 1980, the Gold Key logo disappears, and everything is Whitman.

Our knowledge of which Gold Key issues were also published as Whitmans is spotty. Some online sites don't include unconfirmed issues in their databases (e.g. comicbookpriceguide.com) while other will have some sort of placeholder (e.g. mycomicshop, Grand Comics Database). It's probably best to try to work with photos where possible... That's not foolproof, though. As @Lazyboy has pointed out elsewhere, the images of Beagle Boys vs. Uncle Scrooge #10 and #11 on comicbookrealm.com do appear (at least to my untrained eye) to be fakes or composite images.

The CGC census does not help in this regard. CGC normally distinguishes between Gold Key and Whitman editions, but in my experience, many Whitman issues are mis-labelled in different ways, especially with incorrect issue numbers. The Census currently shows BBvsUS #1 with 3 copies (all Gold Key), 2 copies of #5 (1 Gold Key and 1 Whitman) and 1 copy of #7 (a Gold Key), so it doesn't help us at all with 10 and 11. Basically, though, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

In terms of my personal knowledge, I have never seen either book in a Whitman edition. There is some online discussion of #11 (see http://dellcomicfan.blogspot.com/2012/03/rare-whitman-comics-from-aug-to-dec.html, although this also somewhat dated). The author of that blogpost suggests that #11 is the rarest variant of the 8-12/80 period, but this is one in a long list of statements about which is the rarest book from this period. I will point out that back when this post was written, neither Black Hole #4 nor BBvsUS #11 had any copies on the CGC Census. Today, Black Hole #4 has 99 but BBvsUS #11 is still at zero. Nonetheless, the image of #11 that you found online (shared below, so it can be seen in this thread) does look legit to me.

In my mind, I would guess that #11 does exist, and that #10 might exist, but that both are very rare.

BBVSUS.jpeg

Edited by Brock

On 9/27/2023 at 11:26 AM, Brock said:

Thanks @comic_memories.. Do you have any sources or images that you can share that might help us out on this? 

No. just what's easily searched. Could be fakes and they look like it.  As you pointed out very few are chasing these as CGC graded books in either Gold Key or Whitman and only one registry set.  That isn't much help either.

OIP.jpg

098314f83406bbc6756ce61bb0529d25_xl.jpg

Many thanks to all !! My conclusion to this is there out there in collections buried because no demand someday maybe a file copy pops up but doesn’t explain why copies 10 and 11 are missing like no pictures or deleted with so many copies of all the other run all in whitman I’m sure that they were bagged together of all my luck even dc comics presents 22 I can find (but can’t afford) I would understand but these two issues come on what the hell 😤

This is one of the great Whitman mysteries... why are some issues so plentiful and others so scarce?

I'm not sure where you are based, but some of us theorize that Western Publishing's U.S. distribution system collapsed in the latter part of 1980, which is why (some?) of the Gold Key and DC Whitmans from this period are a) scarce and b) most commonly found in Canada.

Although we know that Whitmans are not reprints, they were warehoused and stored to be bagged in sets and sold at different times. It may also be that the print runs for many Whitmans were set based on past sales and forecast demands for future issues, making for some big swings in print runs. In other words, "the last bagged set of 2 issues of Beagle Boys vs. Uncle Scrooge didn't sell that well, and there are plenty still on shelves, so cut back the number of Whitman variants for #10 and #11 because we don't need so many."

Normally I would agree end of run not selling well so round file it BUT I can find lots of copies of 12 and 9 so if they were bagged together 9 would be with 10 and 11 with 12 if bagged as a mix of Disney ? maybe ? but you still get 12 out there no problem and that’s what got me scratching my head I have been on this a while and seems like all the easy answers are not solid