• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Whitman Thread
15 15

615 posts in this topic

On 9/30/2023 at 9:08 PM, OtherEric said:

That's the one I still need, I've got the 33 and 35. Heck, I've got two of the 33.

@Brock, keep me in mind if you want to let that 34 go.

Thanks, @OtherEric - I've been travelling, and slow on keeping up with things here. It's a beater copy, but I'd be willing to send it to you if I can cover my costs. I will PM you!

On 10/24/2023 at 9:01 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Forgive me if this is a dumb question but are these Whitmans? Found these in a bunch of books I got from an auction last year that I fnally got around to cataloging today. May have more.

20231024_130557.jpeg

20231024_125135.jpeg

20231024_130528.jpeg

This is actually a point of contention, the books were undeniably distributed by Whitman, probably even primarily distributed by Whitman.  But there is an ongoing disagreement over were they exclusively distributed by Whitman.

In this thread, we happily accept them as Whitman books, because they were definitely distributed by Whitman.  But be careful elsewhere, many people have very strong feelings on the subject.

On 10/24/2023 at 9:37 PM, OtherEric said:

But be careful elsewhere, many people have very strong feelings on the subject.

Oh I found that out already... posted these on reddit and got a REALLY strong reactio which is why I came here :nyah: They're Whitmans according to the CLZ app as well.

On 10/25/2023 at 12:39 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

Oh I found that out already... posted these on reddit and got a REALLY strong reactio which is why I came here :nyah: They're Whitmans according to the CLZ app as well.

Hey skillz -

If you have a read through this thread, you’ll see lots of discussion on exactly this topic. My own opinion (and I could be wrong) is that these fat diamond books were “non-returnable” editions, used in a variety of contexts. In the previous pages, you’ll see reference to them as appearing in Whitman bags, anecdotal recollections of dealers about them being early direct editions, and photos suggesting they were sold on newsstands in the UK.

Lots of people call them Whitmans (like CLZ), and CGC calls them “multi-pack editions”. It used to be that collectors called these reprints, though now we know (believe?) better… part of what this thread tries to do (at least occasionally) is throw some fresh light on this topic. We’re definitely learning as we go…

On 11/3/2023 at 12:46 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I'll pick up DC Whitmans in basically any complete condition for $1 apiece, why not?

IMG_9586.thumb.JPG.c8b390c6c46234a3a3c393c80755b6c3.JPG

Agree 100% in almost all cases.  But I think the Whitman Comics Presents #3 might be the lone DC Whitman where the Whitman version is more common than the regular one.

Then again, it does have a wonderful Jose Luis Garcia Lopez cover.

On 11/3/2023 at 4:24 PM, OtherEric said:

Agree 100% in almost all cases.  But I think the Whitman Comics Presents #3 might be the lone DC Whitman where the Whitman version is more common than the regular one.

Then again, it does have a wonderful Jose Luis Garcia Lopez cover.

I couldn't just leave it behind by itself! Although it does kind of look like someone wiped their behind with it... :whatthe::roflmao:

On 11/3/2023 at 5:24 PM, OtherEric said:

I feel like DCCP 1, 2 and 3 are the most common Whitman books out there.