• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I expect my cards back in 5 years?
2 2

146 posts in this topic

I’m confused why the TaT would increase for people that sent before the TaT update. Wouldn’t it only effect the people after it’s updated? Unless theirs so many people submitting under higher service levels that they have to prioritize them? Do they have groups of graders working specially on different service levels? Curious why we are hit with these times too 

15 minutes ago, Kylez450 said:

I’m confused why the TaT would increase for people that sent before the TaT update. Wouldn’t it only effect the people after it’s updated? Unless theirs so many people submitting under higher service levels that they have to prioritize them? Do they have groups of graders working specially on different service levels? Curious why we are hit with these times too 

It is because they keep prioritising every other service level over us. So it could take another 10 years to get our cards back.

From a biz perspective, the flip side of a house full of cards sitting there waiting to be billed is that you KNOW what your revenue is going to look like for 4-5 months right now if you're CGC/PSA. It's basically locked in, you just can't tap it yet. Obviously that gives them an incentive to get through it quicker, but it also is a disincentive to completely staunch the flow. Customers might be mad, but they sure as hell aren't 'I'm going to stop sending cards' mad. I imagine if offered a couple of years ago as a potential situation, the CGC CEO would have been ecstatic to take the current situation. I imagine their big arguments are around how long this demand stays high like this. If they expand 50% and the submissions drop by 75%, they will not be in good shape. 

2 hours ago, Ron Churches said:

From a biz perspective, the flip side of a house full of cards sitting there waiting to be billed is that you KNOW what your revenue is going to look like for 4-5 months right now if you're CGC/PSA. It's basically locked in, you just can't tap it yet. Obviously that gives them an incentive to get through it quicker, but it also is a disincentive to completely staunch the flow. Customers might be mad, but they sure as hell aren't 'I'm going to stop sending cards' mad. I imagine if offered a couple of years ago as a potential situation, the CGC CEO would have been ecstatic to take the current situation. I imagine their big arguments are around how long this demand stays high like this. If they expand 50% and the submissions drop by 75%, they will not be in good shape. 

I been reading elsewhere how with PSA that its virtually impossible to scale as much as possible. I dont think CGC will get that bad since they deal with much less products, but it makes even more sense why they cant meet demand. Its not actually possible to do so. There isnt enough card graders out there to fulfill demand.

And im a very strong believer in that we are in a massive bubble that will burst once vaccines roll out and the world stabilizes. Once people arent home all the time and young people move out of their parents place, the interest will plummet. Its not going to die or anything like that, but Pokemons fad status will die off and go back to being how it was in 2018-2019.

18 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Here's hoping. Because or else, I am out of the collecting game.

Pre-pandemic, the most valuable cards in most boxes were tournament cards. Im sitting on 100 zacian v for a reason lol. I dont see how it wouldnt go back to being that way once tournaments start up again.

36 minutes ago, mattyzeepgam said:

And im a very strong believer in that we are in a massive bubble that will burst once vaccines roll out and the world stabilizes.

I hope so, I just want to be able to buy a few packs for my kids when we go to the store.  I can't find any pokemon cards at my local retail store.

As for wait time.  I just did my first sub yesterday.  I found a few boxes of 1st edition base set a few weeks ago cleaning house, a little research lead me to grading.  Since we are talking about 1st ed Charizard, I submitted one using WK, and 38 base set 1st ed holo using EX, and 150 high price base set using economy.  95% of my sub should come back over 8.  I considered using standard over economy, and decided against it, I didn't need the card back quick, so there is really no reason for me pay $2k more just to have them back early to sit inside boxes, I will likely still have to pay up charge because many of the high price common goes over $400 if graded at 8, but hey if they are worth more I will pay for that, not for faster service.

I will send the rest of 1000 1st ed base cards slowly.  Probably submit 200 to bulk every week, that way they will space out a month each when they are graded lol since the line is growing so fast :)

Anyways, I am not going to complaint about CGC, the Charizard will cost me over $3k to grade at PSA, it's less than $200 with WK at CGC and most of it is insurance.

First submission ever with CGC.

Express w/ Sub Grades. (4) cards total. 1999 base set Pokemon WOTC top of the notch Holos.

Mailed USPS Priority Small Flat Rate Box on 03/05/21 (Friday - Packaged accordingly).

Delivered 03/08/21 (Monday - Props to USPS).

Received: TBD

*I will note that I forgot to mark EX on the box due to a mix up. I e-mailed them right away after I realized the mistake. They responded they would forward to shipping/receiving to try and help any delays, so hoping for the best. I gave them all the info I could.

However, standard tier is almost better value now vs express in terms of TAT as of this moment. 11 days/22 days vs 22 days/30 days now respectively which just changed within the last day or two. Since they are close, I would have expected my 'Express' shipment to be 'received' at this point and re-directed accordingly, even without the marking in regards to believing TAT is more related to the actual grading process line, instead of just a package sitting on the shelf waiting to be opened. Again, I understand the 'EX/WT' notation to expedite the process, but I am still allowed to form my own opinion. The extra 8-11 days turn around time between the two tiers could be related to this exact reason possibly, but who knows these days because what is stopping someone from putting 'EX/WT' notation on their shipping package for a lesser tier just so it gets opened sooner than later?

I completely get the volume being submitted to them these days and understand TAT based on that, but obviously, there is still always some concern in the back of your head when sending in your top stuff. I do have faith that CGC will come out of top with their commitment to quality and customer service from my research. I love seeing everything they stand for in regards to the grading process. Hopefully everything goes smooth, and I feel comfortable making several future submissions for high value cards in my collection.

My submission of (4) cards had over $4500+ in claimed value for reference. Let's hope for the best. hm

3 hours ago, mattyzeepgam said:

And im a very strong believer in that we are in a massive bubble that will burst once vaccines roll out and the world stabilizes. Once people arent home all the time and young people move out of their parents place, the interest will plummet. Its not going to die or anything like that, but Pokemons fad status will die off and go back to being how it was in 2018-2019.

You and I have discussed this before and wonder what your thoughts are for the new crop of people who jumped into the Pokemon scene the past few months and the longevity of their Pokemon stay. The growth curve for newer Pokemon fans after the world stabilizes is very likely to decline, but I wouldn't go so far to say it will plummet.

There's the possibility that some of those who newly bought in will continue to have the itch, include their friends, and continue new user growth albeit slowly. Also, there's the flipping side of Pokemon. While they're not apples to apples, flipping Pokemon is much like what's going on with meme stocks and those that are paper handed day traders – the only difference is tangibleness. The fad will slowly decline but I do think interest will slightly be above that seen in 2018-2019.

8 hours ago, dagwood jr. said:

You and I have discussed this before and wonder what your thoughts are for the new crop of people who jumped into the Pokemon scene the past few months and the longevity of their Pokemon stay. The growth curve for newer Pokemon fans after the world stabilizes is very likely to decline, but I wouldn't go so far to say it will plummet.

There's the possibility that some of those who newly bought in will continue to have the itch, include their friends, and continue new user growth albeit slowly. Also, there's the flipping side of Pokemon. While they're not apples to apples, flipping Pokemon is much like what's going on with meme stocks and those that are paper handed day traders – the only difference is tangibleness. The fad will slowly decline but I do think interest will slightly be above that seen in 2018-2019.

I just see a ton of people moving on. The world to where people arent home 24/7 is completely different than a world to where people can do whatever they want. There is a very possibility of modern stuff completely tanking and the old stuff taking some big losses. There is also a world to where new variants of the pandemic keep coming out and this stuff goes up forever lol. Im still betting on a big decline. I cant see a world to where we wont go back to the days of Rebel Clash boxes costing $90 upon release and distributors having to beg people to open accounts.

On 3/13/2021 at 9:39 AM, Yeahiwasder4dat said:

The cost of the cards themselves + grading fees being tied up indefinitely is outweighing whatever increase in value the cards initially would've gained through grading. As most people don't like floating a company money for 6+ months I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't in violation of the FTC 30-day rule. 

I've seen that picture a few times now. Almost 400% increase isn't close. So to be fair most of the complaining is justifiable to some degree. It's subjective to an extent such as one day compared to four but I'm not sure any reasonable person would consider 30 business days close to 111.Screenshot_20210313-090156__01__01__01.thumb.jpg.a9a889a28191e440e2cef0d49437df54.jpg

ting on people for being frustrated isn't really much better than reading about their frustration when it's justifiable. Everyone isn't financially in the same place, we don't know what everyone else's motives for grading may be so a massive increase may be fine for some and not for others. So seeing it from each other's perspectives would go a long way.

I would think limiting submissions might be the key here until they get a handle on it.

:facepalm:

On 3/13/2021 at 1:40 PM, ShiningCollectibles said:

I just can't stand the lieing. I feel like I am being scammed and I'm sure many others feel this way too. Mine as well not even has a TAT. And just say your cards might come back in infinite and beyond.

:roflmao:

You're not being scammed, and nobody lied.

On 3/13/2021 at 5:49 PM, Kylez450 said:

Bingo.

On 3/12/2021 at 9:52 AM, ShiningCollectibles said:

Each time my cards keep coming up to their turnaround estimate the estimate goes up a ton. It was originally 20-30 days when I submitted and now what 111 and keeps increasing. You need to fix the priority system because at the rate of increase we would never get our cards back.

I have to assume, for your cards, submitted with a 20-30 dat TAT, it is still 20-30, but the newer subs have the higher TAT. I sent mine in, and decided to just hibernate.

• Administrator
On 3/14/2021 at 1:42 AM, ZFletch said:

First submission ever with CGC.

Express w/ Sub Grades. (4) cards total. 1999 base set Pokemon WOTC top of the notch Holos.

Mailed USPS Priority Small Flat Rate Box on 03/05/21 (Friday - Packaged accordingly).

Delivered 03/08/21 (Monday - Props to USPS).

Received: TBD

*I will note that I forgot to mark EX on the box due to a mix up. I e-mailed them right away after I realized the mistake. They responded they would forward to shipping/receiving to try and help any delays, so hoping for the best. I gave them all the info I could.

However, standard tier is almost better value now vs express in terms of TAT as of this moment. 11 days/22 days vs 22 days/30 days now respectively which just changed within the last day or two. Since they are close, I would have expected my 'Express' shipment to be 'received' at this point and re-directed accordingly, even without the marking in regards to believing TAT is more related to the actual grading process line, instead of just a package sitting on the shelf waiting to be opened. Again, I understand the 'EX/WT' notation to expedite the process, but I am still allowed to form my own opinion. The extra 8-11 days turn around time between the two tiers could be related to this exact reason possibly, but who knows these days because what is stopping someone from putting 'EX/WT' notation on their shipping package for a lesser tier just so it gets opened sooner than later?

I completely get the volume being submitted to them these days and understand TAT based on that, but obviously, there is still always some concern in the back of your head when sending in your top stuff. I do have faith that CGC will come out of top with their commitment to quality and customer service from my research. I love seeing everything they stand for in regards to the grading process. Hopefully everything goes smooth, and I feel comfortable making several future submissions for high value cards in my collection.

My submission of (4) cards had over $4500+ in claimed value for reference. Let's hope for the best. hm

If the box is not marked, it is no longer possible for us to hunt it down. In the past, volumes were lower and we could. It is not at all feasible now, unfortunately. They usually do try to push through Express and Walkthroughs that are discovered unmarked in the mail when they are opened, though.

Paul

5 hours ago, Spawnfreak said:

I have to assume, for your cards, submitted with a 20-30 dat TAT, it is still 20-30, but the newer subs have the higher TAT. I sent mine in, and decided to just hibernate.

That should be the case but no I'm still in that 111 day bracket even though I was in the 20-30 Day... There method is messed up in that aspect.