• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why are we expected to put up with this ?
2 2

308 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, ShiningCollectibles said:

It says approximate on the UK site READ the screenshot. Lol, many more instances so please feel free to delete that one too.

Are you submitting to the UK? Your screenshot wasn't part of your post. You edited it in.

Edited by Angel of Death

Fine leadup to my next point.

Nameless and the law of approximates

Everything is messy when you try to be precise. No one calculates with the entirety of Pi, 3.14 will do for most occasions. It's all about getting the basic idea down, right, it's far more relaxing. Striving for perfection is always found in vain. I respect a company who deals in approximates...

So, what happens when the law of approximates is broken and what does that look like? Okay, to make our interesting friend, Angel, feel a little better we will stick to "not guaranteed". So, my "not guaranteed" time went from 7X to 10X days. The 7X was an approximation, the 10X is... still an approximation. You can understand the problem here, I hope. It gets to a point where these words lose meaning, where the fine print gets rendered into dust. Here we are arguing the semantics of words which mean the same thing while dodging the reality of what's occurring. Language is being abused by the marketing, and this always makes the customer unhappy. Us magicians take this kind of thing very seriously, you need a little more precision or the idea of approximates can be endlessly abused...

Just now, Angel of Death said:

"Estimate"  "approximation".

The semantics are out of control! Please, explain the disparity between these two definitions:

Estimate: roughly calculate or judge the value, number, quantity, or extent of.

Approximate: close to the actual, but not completely accurate or exact.

9 minutes ago, The Nameless One said:

The semantics are out of control! Please, explain the disparity between these two definitions:

"Roughly" "close".

12 minutes ago, The Nameless One said:

Generally speaking I would consider "roughly" and "close" similar language with the roughly meaning less precise. Similar to saying "Ballpark a number". The expectation isn't so much that it will be really close but still be able to give you some idea.

Ah, this is the good stuff. Reminds me of working in the law office as a kid, it's amazing how they break this stuff down. So, I would argue that both words maintain the same spirit when used in the context of calculating a certain timeframe. Ultimately, they both functions as qualities which are not "exact". Consider the "7X", and "10X" time frames to be atoms, revolving around them are the approximations. It could happen sooner, it could happen later. Generally speaking, the timeframe around these dates doesn't tend to be extreme. Extreme, in my opinion, is that atomic jump from 7X to 10X, especially given the data swarming around that even getting your package processed is, well... It's kind of a "hope for the best" situation given what's being communicated. We should probably expect "later" as opposed to "sooner" as far as where that approximate sits on the atom that is "10X".

5 minutes ago, C2N0 said:

Why is this still going lol. I want to say shut it down but we all know they’ll just make another thread and the vicious cycle will continue 

Yes, it's probably best to keep this conversation contained to a single thread, this situation isn't going to lose relevance any time soon so if people need to air their grievances it might be best to direct them here.

Edited by The Nameless One