• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, vheflin said:

There are Detectives from mid-1950 and #166 from December, 1950 so could there perhaps also be Crypt of Terror 17 or maybe Vault 12? :wishluck:

Update: there's Marvel Boy 2 & Adventures Into Terror 44 both from February, 1951 so maybe there'll be good early EC and Atlas horror!:wishluck::wishluck::wishluck:

They said no EC horror on the video.  They talked a bit about Crime Patrol.

On 6/7/2021 at 1:14 PM, sfcityduck said:

Could not agree more.  I'm drawn to seeking books off the beaten path, and what drives me is history, cool art, my own tastes, and other factors which are not dictated by investment potential.  It this hobby were, for me, only about investment potential I would not be spending so much time looking for books that have taken me years or more than a decade to find.  Most of the threads I put up on this site are about the thrill and joy of finally finding the book I've been looking for or finding out some new information which I've wanted to know. 

Right on, brother...  

19 minutes ago, szav said:

About one week till showtime,  bidding looks a bit tepid on what I’m tracking, many at 20 25% where I’d expect them to finish.

Especially in terms of some of the rather lower than normal prices at this point in time as compared to past auctions that we are seeing on some of the non-Promise Collection GA books.  (shrug)

Not sure if some of those consignors would be a bit worried at this point and wondering if their books are hitting the auction block at an inopportune time, given the unexpected but concurrent release of the Promise Collection books into the same auction.  :frustrated:  :censored:

15 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Especially in terms of some of the rather lower than normal prices at this point in time as compared to past auctions that we are seeing on some of the non-Promise Collection GA books.  (shrug)

Not sure if some of those consignors would be a bit worried at this point and wondering if their books are hitting the auction block at an inopportune time, given the unexpected but concurrent release of the Promise Collection books into the same auction.  :frustrated:  :censored:

Not sure I'd want to consign any big dollar books to auction right now. Although I'm not seeing a lot of "fire sales" right now. I think people are taking a wait and see reaction to what these books will do to the market place. I wouldn't think they would have much of an effect on the shallow end of the pool. 

The Intelligent collector has a article on the "promise' collection. That is Ha's flagship magazine and it is of very high quality each issue. The estimate by Lon is 10M plus for the entire collection. Is there any link to the ED and Long show on the promise collection as I am trying to find it? If you get a chance look over that article.

57 minutes ago, szav said:

About one week till showtime,  bidding looks a bit tepid on what I’m tracking, many at 20 - 25% where I’d expect them to finish, a few even at 10-15%.  Who knows how it’ll turn out of course.   Never know if people are a bit more restrained than usual just waiting to see how the first few go, hoping in vain  that by keeping it low for now they’ll prevent what seemed like an inevitable premium.

Still expect these to go to the moon, I assume disappointed under bidders on the big items will push up the lesser stuff as the look for consolation prizes etc.

The GA market is big enough to take this collection in and still have a lot of gas in the tank for other great GA books to comic to market. I think the profile of the "promise" buyer is gonna a collector with vast  knowledge and experience or a dealer who is going to buy a pile of them and hold on long terms 2-3 years and then reap the profits.  They will probably win a Majority of the books because they recognize true long term value and won't be till the end , when the realization hits, that you need to get GA pedigree material now, as it does not grow on trees, so look for prices to ramp up at the very of the sale of these books. That being said, the majority of GA collectors are still there and I do not see any negative effects from the "promise" on that market and that type of buyer and given the good overall market conditions, I would not hesitate to sell during the next 18 months.

The best thing I have heard so far is that some the" promise collection"  will be in the Sunday auctions and potentially not even be graded by the CGC?. Famous Funnies..those could be real attainable to board members who thought they would have to sit on the sidelines and just watch. Those books and prices will be very interesting to see. I would immediately however, send that book along with proof of purchase to the CGC to document that it is a graded promise book which deserves the pedigree label. There could be some amazing upside to those purchases.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 6/7/2021 at 4:17 PM, Mmehdy said:

I think "Art" argument can also be made about the GA comic book and SA comic book in a way. The Mona Lisa is old but I agree great art is great art forever. Action #1 is the "Mona Lisa" of comic books clearly, AF 15 etc. I disagree with you Bookery that those GA/SA comic books will never go out of style and in fact increase in value, awareness, and appreciation for future generations. Tarzan is not Superman nor Spiderman. The collecting years you are comparing to, are ancient history. When you bought the ALL Story Tarzan..I thinks it #17. you bought and it and threw it away. Today, in the digital age, everything is saved or much easier for future generations to access or become engaged in.

Bookery, the audience has grown...back in 1919 when that Tarzan mag hit the stands, it was in the USA  we had 104.5 Million people..today at 331 million and overseas Billions the number of persons who could be interested is endless. Two ways to look at the coin, you say heads and I say tails. I think the future is brightest that it has ever been.

Mitch, you've been consistently calling out the growing importance of classic comics and corresponding higher prices and I'd be tempted to call you a cheerleader but in all fairness, you've been right for decades.

1 hour ago, szav said:

About one week till showtime,  bidding looks a bit tepid on what I’m tracking, many at 20 - 25% where I’d expect them to finish, a few even at 10-15%.  Who knows how it’ll turn out of course.   Never know if people are a bit more restrained than usual just waiting to see how the first few go, hoping in vain  that by keeping it low for now they’ll prevent what seemed like an inevitable premium.

Still expect these to go to the moon, I assume disappointed under bidders on the big items will push up the lesser stuff as the look for consolation prizes etc.

I'm with you.  We are about to fall UP a cliff, if such were possible

Started to watch the HA podcast when shortly into it I spied a book at the top of the stack on the table that hasn't been posted to HA's site for sale yet

Human Torch #23  well well well

A little bit of detective work reveals it's a new census topping 9.8!  beating out a new 9.6 that had been there for just the past 9 months, and which itself was upgraded from a previous 9.4

Also, there's a Promise Torch #24 9.6 coming as well

You're welcome!

@Cat-Man_America  @bedrockcomics

Also, it seems to me these are coming as well

Detective #29 9.4

Detective #35 9.4

Batman #1 9.2 - it's new to the census, doesn't appear to be an upgrade, meaning no lesser label turned in yet, could it be anything other than a Promise?

Edited by Dr. Love

28 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Also, it seems to me these are coming as well

Detective #29 9.4

Detective #35 9.4

Batman #1 9.2 - it's new to the census, doesn't appear to be an upgrade, meaning no lesser label turned in yet, could it be anything other than a Promise?

How sure are you that these 3 much earlier books would be from the Promise Collection since I believe they said the earliest books were probably from 1940 and mostly in lower graded condition as compared to the prime HG time period of 1944 going forward?  hm  

I somehow highly doubt the 2 pre-Robin 'Tec books you mentioned would be part of the Promise Collection.  Although Ed and Lon did mentioned a Batman 1, they were certainly not jumping up and down which they certainly would have been doing if it was anywhere close to coming in at a CGC 9.2 grade.  (shrug)

2 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I think the profile of the "promise" buyer is gonna a collector with vast  knowledge and experience or a dealer who is going to buy a pile of them and hold on long terms 2-3 years and then reap the profits.  They will probably win a Majority of the books because they recognize true long term value and won't be till the end , when the realization hits, that you need to get GA pedigree material now, as it does not grow on trees, so look for prices to ramp up at the very of the sale of these books.

Although I would definitely agree wholeheartedly with you about the long term ongoing appeal for pedigree books like this Promise Collection, Edgar Church, Allentown books, etc. which you keep emphasizing, you seem to be forgetting about the other side of the equation here.  :gossip:

This other side being in terms of picking up some of these books here at a reasonable price instead of going totally blue sky and paying outrageous astronomical prices just to acquire a particular copy from this collection.  Especially since as history has clearly shown us here, even books from the Edgar Church Mile High collection has ended up selling for only a small fraction of their initial sale price if the original buyer had over paid for their copy in the first place.  hm

Take for example the 'Tec 140 which Ed himself thought it would only go for something like $150K and like he said in the video, it's already sitting there at $162K with another week to go.  Now, some of the boardies here are talking about a $250K end price, with some going even as far as $500K for this book here.  How much profit will the buyer really be reaping if they end up paying $500K for the book next week, instead of the original estimate of only $150K or thereabouts?  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Although I would definitely agree wholeheartedly with you about the long term ongoing appeal for pedigree books like this Promise Collection, Edgar Church, Allentown books, etc. which you keep emphasizing, you seem to be forgetting about the other side of the equation here.  :gossip:

This other side being in terms of picking up some of these books here at a reasonable price instead of going totally blue sky and paying outrageous astronomical prices just to acquire a particular copy from this collection.  Especially since as history has clearly shown us here, even books from the Edgar Church Mile High collection has ended up selling for only a small fraction of their initial sale price if the original buyer had oberpaid for their copy in the first place.  hm

Take for example the 'Tec 140 which Ed himself though it would only go for sometjing like $150K and like he said in the video, it's already sitting there at $162K with another week to go.  Now, some of the boardies here are talking about a $250K end price, with some going even as far as $500K for this book here.  How much profit will the buyer really be reaping if they end up paying $500K for the book next week, instead of the original estimate of only $150K or thereabouts?  (shrug)

Tec 140 is a Million $ book :insane:

1 hour ago, Peter G said:

I'm going for 25k one of Cole's best imho 

1 hour ago, Peter G said:

With the offers to date, you never know. The seller could be making an offer on his own book to try to influence people's perceptions of the value.

3 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

Those books and prices will be very interesting to see. I would immediately however, send that book along with proof of purchase to the CGC to document that it is a graded promise book which deserves the pedigree label  

doh!

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

How sure are you that these 3 much earlier books would be from the Promise Collection since I believe they said the earliest books were probably from 1940 and mostly in lower graded condition as compared to the prime HG time period of 1944 going forward?  hm  

I somehow highly doubt the 2 pre-Robin 'Tec books you mentioned would be part of the Promise Collection.  Although Ed and Lon did mentioned a Batman 1, they were certainly not jumping up and down which they certainly would have been doing if it was anywhere close to coming in at a CGC 9.2 grade.  (shrug)

well it's more of abductive reasoning, I think it's called

saw the Torch on the table, found out the only recent high grade was a 9.8 graded last week, so it must be a Promise.  Found out these other uber grades came out last week, so...they're Promises too?

Edited by Dr. Love

4 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

well it's more of abductive reasoning, I think it's called

saw the Torch on the table, found out the only recent high grade was a 9.8 graded last week, so it must be a Promise.  Found out these other uber grades came out last week, so...they're Promises too?

They're not Promises.  There's an even bigger book that's going to pop up from that submission that everyone is going to wet their pants about.