• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

I'm not convinced this collection blows away the Mile High pedigree.  Right now, it's hard for me to assess how impressive this collection really is.  There's no doubt its impressive, but it doesn't have high grade mega-keys like Action 1, D27, etc.  And, IMHO, the grading is a bit soft - giving this collection a better impression to those who buy the label than those who buy the book.

I agree. Time will tell, but , the prospects are exciting N'est-ce Pas? We all win at the end of the day, no? 

1 minute ago, Funnybooks said:

I agree. Time will tell, but , the prospects are exciting N'est-ce Pas? We all win at the end of the day, no? 

Definitely exciting.  Do we all win?  Not at all sure about that one.  Some guys are seeing their census topping books dropping behind a book that may not be as strictly graded.

5 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

It's authenticity was in question before he bought it. He willed it to be authentic and paid the price.

Let's not forget the substantive restoration(s) that it's had thereby further blurring the authenticity lines.

Just now, tth2 said:

One thing I'll be curious to see is whether the collection has the same breadth as the Church pedigree for this 1943-50 period.  Was this kid able to buy virtually every issue on the newsstand month after month, year after year, like Edgar? 

Even being able to amass a collection of 5,000 books over approximately 7 years indicates he came from a family of means.  That's $500 over 7 years, which in those days would've been a lot of money, especially for a teenager.   

Early on, someone said it's mostly superhero books.  So the breadth is likely narrower than the MH collection.  Edgar bought 20,000 books from the 30s (when there few comics) to the early/mid 50s.  This collection is 5000 books, and covers the 30s to 1950.  So the MH collection is quite likely of broader reach.  Back then, getting 5,000 books did not require great wealth.  Dave Wigransky, several years younger than the OO of this collection, accumulated over 5,000 between 1940 or 1941 and 1948.  He was middle class - mom was a teacher and his dad worked for the federal government.

41 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I agree nobody has a higher claim....but we TCBC(true comic book collectors) have a "higher purpose"  and with  truth, justice and the American ways it seems to win out over time.

Do you get a card or license to prove that you're a TCBC or do you just walk around with a halo over your head?

On 5/8/2021 at 1:25 PM, buttock said:

More likely what you're seeing right now is inexperienced graders being brought in from the modern side to grade vintage books.

Ummmmm..................it would appear that you probably got off on the wrong floor of the CGC building here.  :gossip:  lol

If it was Modern graders from the dungeon level being brought in to help with the grading of these books here, I highly doubt you would be seeing so many CGC 9.8's and CGC 9.6's because they are used to grading only newer books and would be nit picking these older GA books to death for every single tiny and seemingly insignificant defect.  Especially because this is exactly what they have to do in order to differentiate between the uber high grade newer books, simply because that's all they see all the time in their work every single day.  hm

If anything, they are most likely getting help from the "suits" in the corner office of the penthouse level who's in the grading room (either physically or "in spirit" lol) helping out by providing the graders with guidance and direction here.  :devil:

On 5/8/2021 at 7:59 AM, sfcityduck said:

Comparing those two books, I'm beginning to think this is a marketing promotion by CGC to encourage everyone to resubmit their books to take advantage of the new grading standards being established by this collection.

From my own personal point of view, I think if I have a HG copy of a GA book from this later time period, this would probably be the absolute worst time to be sending it in for grading. :gossip:

I believe this lowered grading standard that you are seemingly seeing is probably part of an undisclosed business agenda that is limited solely to the Promise Collection.  As a result, if you submit your HG GA book into CGC for grading right now, they will probably be taking you and your book behind the woodshed and applying some heavy punishment grading to it.  Most likely necessary to offset the soft grades they are giving out right now and therefore facilitate averaging everything out in order to show that they are still tough graders during this time period.  hm  (shrug)

7 hours ago, comicnoir said:

It's authenticity was in question before he bought it. He willed it to be authentic and paid the price.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvator_Mundi_(Leonardo)

It was thought to be the work of Bernardino Luini. It was only attributed to Leonardo in 2011.

There are dozens of Salvator Mundis attributed to Leonardo's followers.

A look at just one of those followers shows the difficulty with attribution:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesco_Melzi

Edited by Flex Mentallo