• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Heck, I’m not even collecting at the moment and I’ve had plenty of oohs and aahs over these books. 

The books themselves are great! I'd buy a nice hardcover book picturing them a la the Gerber Photo-Journals like someone mentioned earlier in the thread.

I would, of course, prefer they were captured in their glorious, unmolested raw state were such a book ever to be offered.  :cloud9:

2 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Money was tight during those times for the majority of folks.  Of course, there are always exceptions.

Are you talking about then or now with the current pandemic still in place and record high unemployment with many businesses still shut down?  :(

And yet we have stock markets at record highs, housing prices going through the roof, and people throwing millions at NFT's, sports cards, and not too far behind are our much loved and treasured comic books.  (:

The actual definition of a true collector is: "someone that spreads their comics on the floor and then rolls on them naked with no concern for damaging the books". That is an exact quote from Wikipedia so you know it has to be true.

As far as the promise collection, it is spectacular and an amazing group of books.  I hope I can snag a few and I am really looking forward to the Batman's when they show up.  Are some over grades?  Sure but you can say the same for tons of books.

On 5/9/2021 at 10:42 AM, Mmehdy said:

The last GA book I bought raw I was burned by at least 2 full grade points and reminded me how great CGC truly is on that level.

Hey Mitch;

Looks like you made out like a rabbit here and nothing compared to the boardie who PM'ed me last night after one of my posts to show me scans of a CGC graded book that he had resubbed (sadly without performing his due diligence of CPR) for a potential upgrade and ended up being burned by a 3 full CGC condition grading levels instead.  :frustrated:  :mad:  :censored:

Really felt sorry for the boardie as it was also most likely a case of real bad timing as the book was regraded not quite 3 weeks ago and right during the midst of all of these Promise Collection books going through at the same time.  The real sad thing is that from the scan, although the book might have been off by one grade point if graded tightly, it certainly presented better than some of the scans of books that we have seen posted here earlier in this thread and that by some grading miracle are now somehow the highest graded copies on the CGC Census Population Report.  :devil:

This is why I find that although CGC and certified grading has most definitely been a net benefit to the collecting base, grading at times is also a matter of luck and timing because as seen in the past, if CGC is hell bent on grading to fit a certain business agenda of the day, you best hope that your book is not hitting their grading table during that time period.  hm  :wishluck:

A perfect reminder to all of us here how NOT so great CGC truly is on that level.  :baiting:  lol

33 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

The actual definition of a true collector is: "someone that spreads their comics on the floor and then rolls on them naked with no concern for damaging the books". That is an exact quote from Wikipedia so you know it has to be true.

Darn, forgot to take off my socks.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

If you're having trouble getting excited about the Promise collection, try thinking about all the amazing "under-copies" that will hit the market soon.

And those copies will lead to other under-copies, and so on... trickle-down comics...

:foryou:

I can always use a good trickle.

4 hours ago, PopKulture said:
4 hours ago, vheflin said:

:cry:

Are you implying this is likely due to pressing and therefore avoidable? 

3 hours ago, vheflin said:

I am, indeed.

Are you also implying that the book might still also be overgraded in the end, given all of the issues along the edges and corners of the book?  hm

If so, please take into account that spines, corners, and edges are above the pay grade of the CGC graders for this Promise Collection here, as the "suits" in the corner suite of the penthouse are responsible for those unimportant parts of the book.  :devil:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

15 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Somewhere there are Hawkeyes with fake Church codes laughing hysterically.

I suppose the Church AC 1 went through Snyder also, so it may have some glue or CT.  I say that as pure conjecture, but it wouldn't surprise me.  These shenanigans are nothing new.  

25 minutes ago, buttock said:

Do yourself a favor and don't ever ask anyone about Dave's history of manipulating books :eek:

I'm not saying that they couldn't be in better hands; moreover, that they are safer not changing hands. I don't hold him on a pedestal by any means. 

16 hours ago, lou_fine said:
On 5/8/2021 at 7:59 AM, sfcityduck said:

Comparing those two books, I'm beginning to think this is a marketing promotion by CGC to encourage everyone to resubmit their books to take advantage of the new grading standards being established by this collection.

From my own personal point of view, I think if I have a HG copy of a GA book from this later time period, this would probably be the absolute worst time to be sending it in for grading. :gossip:

I believe this lowered grading standard that you are seemingly seeing is probably part of an undisclosed business agenda that is limited solely to the Promise Collection.  As a result, if you submit your HG GA book into CGC for grading right now, they will probably be taking you and your book behind the woodshed and applying some heavy punishment grading to it. 

Although it might not be necessary by now, but I will repeat my advice or word of warning to you here anyways.  :blahblah:  :blahblah:

Based upon what was sent to me last night, it is never a good idea to try to jump on board the CGC grading train when it is already loaded up to the hilt with the Promise Collection books and also barreling down the tracks at full maximum speed.  The chances of you and your HG GA books from this same time period being able to successfully maneuver this leap is probably slim to none and you and your books will sadly simply get crushed to smithereens under the wheels of the oncoming CGC grading train.  :fear:  :tonofbricks:

22 hours ago, buttock said:

These shenanigans are nothing new. 

Is this really nothing more than a case of the kettle calling the pot black, except the pot in this case is much much bigger and blacker?  :devil:

These current shenanigans are nothing new in the sense that back in those days, those types of activities were seen as ADDING VALUE to a book as even clearly stated in the Overstreet guide at the time, and not so much as destroying the value of a book.  :whatthe:

Yet decades later, knowing full well has has taken place in the past and that we should all know better by now, shenanigans and manipulations not only continue to this point in time, but are instead encouraged and institutionalized to the point that you and your book are actually severely penalized in terms of having your book graded if you choose not to partake in these manipulative games of theirs. :frustrated: :mad:  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

No idea why you would be asking me since I am a collector who prefers to keep all of my books raw and don't participate in this whole grading fiasco and CPR game that's taking place.  (shrug)

Better to ask the parties that's actually involved such as the gang over at Heritage, the boys over at CGC and CCS, and possibly the consignors although I suspect they (sad to say) just might not know what's being done to Junie's much loved and treasured books that he had asked his brother and family to take care of and which they very obviously and lovingly did for the past 75 years.  :(

"Third-party grading".... with in-house pressing to increase the value of the item (which of course they have no monetary interest in).