• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Now that they have nearly 300 of them on the HA website

can we assume the best (and most valuable) books of the collection are being offered in this auction and that we can derive maybe 70-80% of total collection worth at end of the auction ?

Edited by Gotham Kid

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Hey Mitch;

Since we seen so many examples of the former to date so far, I was wondering if you could please do a public service to all the collectors here by posting us some examples of the latter that we can go after.  lol

we have over 5000 GA books to go thru, talk to me after 2500 have been graded and sold as you cannot make a total judgement on the grading of the collection until we see at least 50% of the books out in the open. That would be the fairest way to make a judgment on this collections overall grading.

4 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

can we assume the best (and most valuable) books of the collection are being offered in this auction and that we can derive maybe 70-80% of total collection worth at end of the auction ?

I believe that thinking is on point for the most part ... but I might place that percentage at 60%. One thing I notice with selling a collection, the little books often surprise you.... and these are pedigree. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

Were these all pressed? 

No idea why you would be asking me since I am a collector who prefers to keep all of my books raw and don't participate in this whole grading fiasco and CPR game that's taking place.  (shrug)

Better to ask the parties that's actually involved such as the gang over at Heritage, the boys over at CGC and CCS, and possibly the consignors although I suspect they (sad to say) just might not know what's being done to Junie's much loved and treasured books that he had asked his brother and family to take care of and which they very obviously and lovingly did for the past 75 years.  :(

Edited by lou_fine

14 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

No, Ha has a tendency to spread things out pretty evenly...I would say great books will appear even in the last promise auction. You can take for example the "Kirby Cofer" Carl Barks painting collection, which was the largest Carl Barks oil painting  collection ever to come to market and auctioned by Ha.com. They spread the good stuff over 3 auctions. We will see great GA books till the end on this one.

Can't believe I am saying this, but I agree with Mitch.

For example in the Detectives, they list 166 and 167 (as well as a smattering of earlier issues), but I'm guessing the 168 will be a star of a future auction (if it's in there). I'm certain there will be great items in every signature auction for the next year.

I think there were more exceptions than folks sometimes realize.  Comics were a form of entertainment on par with t.v. and video games today.  5,000 comics was $500 dollars new.  Spread over more than ten years, as the Promise collection is, we're talking around $50 a year on average ($4.11 a month).  I'm sure the volumes purchased increased as kids got older and maybe got jobs (so less a month early on and more later).  Many many kids had comic collections, that's why many GA comics are relatively common today despite that huge number of collections that were tossed out by parents, recycled, etc.  

Wondering if only the immediate family was buying the books...  Were purchases assisted by more extended family members...  Did the local community help out at all...  Having a family member serving in the 40-50's was absolutely no joke.  Todays military is so different.  Looking forward to hearing the entire story as told my family members if possible.

30 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

No. I think it is pretty transparent what they have done.  It's looking more representative, albeit designed to impress, than a "best books first" approach.  They are heavy on superheros (which includes Phantom Lady), and lighter on the non-superhero genre.  But the DC and Timely runs are just excerpts. The next biggest genre is, I think, SF.  Lighter on PCH. Collection may not include romance, Dell, westerns, or strip reprints.  We all know of books that are desirable and valuable in the 1943 to 1950 core time period not posted so far, and the pre-1943 time period is barely represented (although 3.5 CA 1 is one of the bigger books).  So I think there will be exciting and valuable books in later auctions.