• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Counterpoint: nobody who spends $1,000+ on a comic book is purely in it for “historical significance.”

I remember the first time I spent $6 on a back issue (Ghost Rider - 1990, # 1), the first time I spent >$50 (New Mutants # 87), the first time I spent $200 (Ghost Rider - 1950, # 1), the first time I spent >$800 (X-Men # 1), the first time I spent >$1,000 (Batman # 5) and the first time I spent >$2,000 (Showcase # 4).

Just because I’ve been doing this for 30+ years doesn’t make me any less aware of value than the latest “new money” who have only been doing this for 3-6 months.

Nor should I have any more claim to these Promise Collection books than that new money.

The highest bidder will win, I accept that. I also hope 90% of these books land in comic book collections, rather than a "widget safty deposit box". I do not think, at least in terms of today's market $1000 is signifcant in and of itself. Is it 10K, 100K, or 1M...I cannot answer that question. Of couse "exit" in ones GA collection has to be a factor. I am not suggesting to go out and recklessly spend money on GA comic books becasue you "love them". I do think however that in a perfect world, the true comic book collector should win out over the pure speculator. 

I agree nobody has a higher claim....but we TCBC(true comic book collectors) have a "higher purpose"  and with  truth, justice and the American ways it seems to win out over time.

Edited by Mmehdy

4 hours ago, Funnybooks said:
5 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

That is a pretty interesting statement, coming from Bleeding Cool - the same online muckraking website that goes out of its way to disrespect the privacy wishes of retailers and publishers industry wide.

Agenda much?

Boy has this thread taken a bitter tone since the posts of the slabs started coming out! 

1 minute ago, tth2 said:
5 hours ago, Funnybooks said:
5 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

That is a pretty interesting statement, coming from Bleeding Cool - the same online muckraking website that goes out of its way to disrespect the privacy wishes of retailers and publishers industry wide.

Agenda much?

Boy has this thread taken a bitter tone since the posts of the slabs started coming out! 

I still haven't heard who the "agenda" comment was directed at.

2 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

and SO WHAT?!   it is an original owner collection that meets cgc's pedigree criteria.  thus, they're in a ped label.  buy them if you want; or ask that a little pamphlet be produced about "the backstory" and buy that.  but they are JUST FUNNY-BOOKS, and if you don't like any aspect of the find/buy/consignment/manipulation/grading/seller, then move on to the next funny book that tickles your fancy.  50 pages of drivel and not a book sold yet.  lawd, i say LAWD.

You protest too much.  The only reason I made that post was because the poster to whom I was responding, was cautioning people against saying anything that would hurt the final sales value of a book at auction.  Why? Because he asserted the FAMILY would take the financial hit.  Hence, my comment that we don't even know if the family gets a dime from the upcoming auction.

42 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

Why in the world would we be entitled to that information? Totally none of our business.

You also protest too much.  Again, my post was in response to a poster who was asserting that no one should say anything that could hurt the sales price of a book because the FAMILY would get less money.  My point was simple:  We don't even know if the FAMILY will get a dime from the auction.  So the poster's assertion was overblown and unfounded.

3 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I still haven't heard who the "agenda" comment was directed at.

In an effort to avoid provoking the thread, I'll maintain a stance of discretion being the better part of valor and retract my earlier response. Let's get back to what's important...continuing to extol upon a collection of books the likes that we have never seen.

4 minutes ago, tth2 said:

The only people who think that are people with a false sense of entitlement.

If a seller takes out an ad to tell a story to enhance the marketability of a collection, it is not a "false sense of entitlement" that gives the buyer the right to do whatever due diligence they can.  The only sense of "entitlement" would be on the part of a seller who thinks they can say whatever they want without having their tales checked out by buyers. Do you really disagree?

1 minute ago, Funnybooks said:

Let's get back to what's important...continuing to extol upon a collection of books the likes that we have never seen.

I'm not convinced this collection blows away the Mile High pedigree.  Right now, it's hard for me to assess how impressive this collection really is.  There's no doubt its impressive, but it doesn't have high grade mega-keys like Action 1, D27, etc.  And, IMHO, the grading is a bit soft - giving this collection a better impression to those who buy the label than those who buy the book.

4 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

This entertaining discussion reminded me about the recent controversy regarding Leonardo's Salvatore Mundi attribution following its sale to a Saudi prince. He refused to loan it to The Louvre for an exhibition because they were not confident that it is an autograph painting by the master's hand alone, and would not as the Prince demanded, hang it alongside the Mona Lisa.

I was reminded of this because until the 18th century it was accepted that Renaissance artists had workshops full of assistants who helped the master complete commissions.

After Sotheby's and Christie's were founded in the mid 18th century, they actively promoted the concept of the singular genius who alone produced great works.

In turn, expert attribution became critical to ascertaining provenance and value. (A painting in the National Gallery in London originally attributed to Rembrandt was years later attributed to one of his followers. As a result, the painting's value instantly fell by 90%).

The process of authentication may vary from field to field, but as we all appreciate, these extrinsic factors contribute to investor confidence, and the intrinsic (monetary) value is established after a successful sale.

I can hardly begin to imagine how the Saudi Prince felt after having acquired the Salvatore Mundi, its authenticity as an autograph work was called into question.

To which all I can say is hic(urp).

It's authenticity was in question before he bought it. He willed it to be authentic and paid the price.

4 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

You also protest too much.  Again, my post was in response to a poster who was asserting that no one should say anything that could hurt the sales price of a book because the FAMILY would get less money.  My point was simple:  We don't even know if the FAMILY will get a dime from the auction.  So the poster's assertion was overblown and unfounded.

That was me and I stand unwavering by my assertion. I realize what it's worth.