• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I find nothing funny about Captain America punching Hitler in the face in Cap #1, nor Amazing Fantasy 15 last panel saying" with great power comes great responsibilty". This is great literature  at its finest combined with some of the greatest artists of all time in a combination arf from which has occured since caveman times.

:roflmao:

On 5/9/2021 at 10:42 AM, Mmehdy said:

Chose wisely as to the GA book that you want,  go for the GA book itself and not a 7.0 graded 9.0 or a 8.0 graded 7.0..when label looking you forget  that it is the GA book which you wanted all along.

Hey Mitch;

Since we seen so many examples of the former to date so far, I was wondering if you could please do a public service to all the collectors here by posting us some examples of the latter that we can go after.  lol

17 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

Now that they have nearly 300 of them on the HA website, I went through a bunch of them and I saw a Promise Collection book that I didn't think was overgraded.

I was going to post it here, but when I went back to look I couldn't find it.

Maybe somebody pointed it out to them and it's now gone back in to be upgraded.  lol

To be totally fair though, since nobody has yet to post a seemingly undergraded book so far as per my post from the other day:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 5/8/2021 at 11:51 AM, lou_fine said:

My observation is still the same as it was a couple of days ago from my post above.................why have there still been NO EXAMPLES of seemingly undergraded books from the Promise Collection to date so far as I am still waiting with bated breath. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

I think I may have found one although I am not sure about the spine, and it might just also be the one that you was looking at and couldn't find anymore:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/scoop-comics-8-the-promise-collection-pedigree-chesler-1944-cgc-fn-55-off-white-to-white-pages/p/7244-175199.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Preview-ThisAuction-120115#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F1%2F1%2F1%2F24111194%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Heck, the back cover here appears to be even nicer than the front cover from what I am looking at, but probably need to check the Graders Notes:  :luhv:  :takeit:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F0%2F9%2F9%2F24099224%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

On 5/9/2021 at 3:50 PM, Sarg said:

This appears to be the only book in "The Promise Collection" without writing on the cover. 

Ummm...................that's only because the writing was on that top corner piece that came off during the CCS pressing process.  :gossip:  lol

15 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

The story only scratched the surface...so many details left out...

Well, you can always fill in the details for us then since you seem to be in the know about the background of this Promise Collection here. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

13 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

In an oblivious attempt to re-establish my street cred among to copper/bronze/modern crowd, here is one of my favorite newer acquisitions...

Reaction among the copper/bronze/modern crowd be like

bedrockcat.jpg.c419e1072de4c9c7ab45c83bb379edb2.jpg

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, you can always fill in the details for us then since you seem to be in the know about the background of this Promise Collection here. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

You've misunderstood the tone of my post which was that the background story given was very high level and that it would have been nice to have had more detail... 

12 hours ago, skypinkblu said:
15 hours ago, tth2 said:

It's not about whether you win the game or not.  It's all about how much you can run up the score on the other guy.

I missed that class, or slept through it.

See Alabama, University of

14 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Early on, someone said it's mostly superhero books.  So the breadth is likely narrower than the MH collection.  Edgar bought 20,000 books from the 30s (when there few comics) to the early/mid 50s.  This collection is 5000 books, and covers the 30s to 1950.  So the MH collection is quite likely of broader reach.  Back then, getting 5,000 books did not require great wealth.  Dave Wigransky, several years younger than the OO of this collection, accumulated over 5,000 between 1940 or 1941 and 1948.  He was middle class - mom was a teacher and his dad worked for the federal government.

The cost of 5000 books was a fortune at that time for a lot of families.

The world had just come out of a decade long economic depression and was immediately plunged into a world war.  A lot of families had their main bread winner go overseas not knowing:  a) for how long; b) whether or not he would even return; c) if he did return whether he'd be able to find work or be physically able to work again.

Money was tight during those times for the majority of folks.  Of course, there are always exceptions.

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Ummm...................that's only because the writing was on that top corner piece that came off during the CCS pressing process.  :gossip:  lol

Were these all pressed? 

17 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

and SO WHAT?!   it is an original owner collection that meets cgc's pedigree criteria.  thus, they're in a ped label.  buy them if you want; or ask that a little pamphlet be produced about "the backstory" and buy that.  but they are JUST FUNNY-BOOKS, and if you don't like any aspect of the find/buy/consignment/manipulation/grading/seller, then move on to the next funny book that tickles your fancy.  50 pages of drivel and not a book sold yet.  lawd, i say LAWD.

yep57.jpg