• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic collectors who have had serious, hobby-related friction with a significant other, how did it resolve?
2 2

289 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

I was twenty when my first son was born. The downside to that is I was nowhere near ready emotionally to be a father. It was really, really hard. Because when we are on the other end of that spectrum, we still feel like we got a lotta livin' to do and this homunculus is preventing me from doing it. We still have that youthful energy and curiosity. Hey sorry. Not too many 20 year olds actually plan to have kids, you know? Maybe the best time to have kids is in our early thirties. By the time we are 50, they will be 20 and then it's time to get out of my house while I still have some years left. Even then, at 50, you can really feel it. I thought I was tired when I was 25. I was not. Not like this. My oldest son will be 40. Remarkable how time went by so fast.

My Mom was 17 when I was born and my Dad was 18 and the silver lining to that for me is that my Grandparents were in their forties so I had them for a long time (having only lost both within the last couple of years). It's not ideal and my parents were not ready whatsoever to have me, but I am very glad that I had such a good relationship with my Grandparents who were youthful in comparison to my peers. 

8 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

My Mom was 17 when I was born and my Dad was 18 and the silver lining to that for me is that my Grandparents were in their forties so I had them for a long time (having only lost both within the last couple of years). It's not ideal and my parents were not ready whatsoever to have me, but I am very glad that I had such a good relationship with my Grandparents who were youthful in comparison to my peers. 

My grandparents were even younger than me!  :acclaim:

12 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

My sister and her husband got the best grandparenting years from our parents. My wife and I rarely request babysitting or such fun them. They just don't have it in them.

Just now, Ceito said:

OMG

I've done all the cooking in every relationship I ever had.  Girls just didnt learn to cook I guess.

3 minutes ago, Ceito said:

I’ll have to add.. likewise.

they act like its some esoteric ritual or something.

My wife is set to give birth to our first child any day now. I’m 42 and she’s 32. Life changes are coming fast! 

As for comics, my wife has a small box of Red Sonjas, Swiss Disney comics and some other stuff. She doesn’t mind my collection of four long boxes, even though she’s generally a minimalist. I think the fact that some of them are valuable is a plus. 

1 hour ago, wisbyron said:

That is exactly it. My sons had/still have their grandparents as well.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

We have been married a long time. She is still way sexy to me. She knows how to doll it up and yet has no problem digging in and getting dirty to get what she wants. Unlike like me she pays up and deals in the high end pool (Tiffinany Lamps, Paintings, Jewelry and art pottery). She has cleaned out old vermin infested houses and buildings. 

She runs into a lot of stuff in her searches. She has found me old advertising signs, toys, sports items as well as comics and pulps). 

Problem is she is strictly a dealer and everything is for sale. Catch and release. She can’t understand why I want to keep everything...

In our town we have an architectural salvage warehouse that sells to people looking for period pieces for their homes. Like mantels, fireplaces, original ax hewn beams, aluminum sculpture and antique fixtures, tubs, sinks. All that. There is some stunning pieces in there. Gargoyles from NYC!

7 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

In our town we have an architectural salvage warehouse that sells to people looking for period pieces for their homes. Like mantels, fireplaces, original ax hewn beams, aluminum sculpture and antique fixtures, tubs, sinks. All that. There is some stunning pieces in there. Gargoyles from NYC!

omg we have an architectural salvage warehouse salvage over here that salvages architectural salvage warehouses!!!

1 hour ago, kav said:

Free auto repair.  Repeatedly.  Thousands of dollars worth of work.  She tried to tell me "oh they do that for everyone"
After we broke up she screwed the pooch tho taking her new BF there to get free work.They had enough of her after that.
Dummies thought they couldget some action by kissin a***.  Thats not how it works boys.  you go straight in the chump zone.

Man. I don't know. Not saying that isn't true but do you think there WAS action at some point? You said "THOUSANDS". That's like at least 20 $100 bills. The bare minimum for the word "THOUSANDS".

2 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Man. I love those places. So much history.

we have a history salvage here too.  they salvage history and stuff.  no actual items, just history.