• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Discussion About How CGC Label Non-US Publications Which Reprint / Reproduce Original US Comic Content
10 10

480 posts in this topic

On 4/23/2022 at 5:56 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

You've read their announcement. What do you think they'll do?

Foreign Editions

This classification is assigned to international comics that feature a cover to which a US counterpart exists but is not a facsimile.......

.....CGC classifies and labels foreign editions by the title and issue number of their US counterpart, but also lists the foreign title and issue on the label as well. The country of origin is listed as the edition, such as “Norwegian edition”. The contents of each foreign edition are researched, with pertinent stories, appearances, or artists listed in the art and key comments on the label

So "Reggie 1" it is!  

Archie's Rival REGGIE #1                                                                                                                                                      (Archie's Rival REGGIE 4 - Australia)

On 4/23/2022 at 11:14 PM, gadzukes said:

So "Reggie 1" it is!  

Archie's Rival REGGIE #1                                                                                                                                                      (Archie's Rival REGGIE 4 - Australia)

That won't confuse anyone, will it. 

On 4/23/2022 at 5:10 PM, gadzukes said:

YES!!! Do I win a NO PRIZE now?

Um err

I love your sig line, but kind of large :shy:lol

I only mention because you changed it recently and thought you might see it idk

It goes on for half a page longer, but do you (thumbsu

Screenshot_20220423-172614_Samsung Internet.jpg

On 4/23/2022 at 11:21 PM, gadzukes said:

I'm still going to say, the new system will be getting tweaked thru this next year.

Only four tweaks needed, really:

1. Make the actual comic title primary in all cases, and the reproduced US cover title secondary as a label note (census record should always be literal too, with a searchable function for books that share the same cover)
  2. Where reprinted, first appearance notations to always include the relevant non-US appearance country (e.g. "1st appearance of the Hulk in Italy") so as to preserve the integrity of the original book
  3. Reprint status to always be noted (e.g. "Reprints original material from The Amazing Spider-Man #1 (Marvel Comics 1963)")
  4. The word 'Edition' to be banished (because it isn't required, and can be misleading)

Edited by Get Marwood & I
Tweaked the tweaks

On 4/23/2022 at 6:27 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Um err

I love your sig line, but kind of large :shy:lol

I only mention because you changed it recently and thought you might see it idk

It goes on for half a page longer, but do you (thumbsu

Sorry about that.  Now removed.  Definitely annoying.  I thought the new pics would line up next to the other one, not below.

Ironically, I have my settings set so that I don't see anyone's sig lines, because I was getting annoyed at that same thing.

On 4/23/2022 at 5:40 PM, gadzukes said:

Sorry about that.  Now removed.  Definitely annoying.  I thought the new pics would line up next to the other one, not below.

Ironically, I have my settings set so that I don't see anyone's sig lines, because I was getting annoyed at that same thing.

Much better and no worries, actually you can chose siglines to ignore and not see. If you decide to turn them on, there is a "x" over visible siglines, and when you come across one like that click the x and ignore that specific.

Sorry about that though, you and Marwood were mid conversation, I didnt mean to gum up the works.

You can also resize your pics in the sigline, after uploading then double click on the image to resize.  No worries 

On 4/24/2022 at 2:20 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I have been reading this thread as it was posted and I too waited to see what their decision was in regards to foreign books.  

I have to say , like you , I am disappointed in their choice.  

To be honest I really wish they would have directly contacted you to help work on this project as I have really enjoyed and agreed with your choices in classification and terminology for these books. 

I really feel that they missed an opportunity to not only reconnect with some of their customers, but to take advantage of collaborative efforts with many of this hobbies true collectors who know so much on the subject and spent years building this knowledge.  

I will say thank you for your amazing contributions to this forum they have been an absolute delight to read. :golfclap:

That's very kind of you to say Krypto, thank you. And not a gif or meme in sight I see! There, you can do it :foryou:

I may have banged on the most here, and kept it all bubbling along (nothing new there, there are pence books involved!) but many excellent contributions and valid observations have been made by others in the lifetime of the thread. There's a fairly clear for and against divide across the collecting community I think, here and elsewhere, in respect of the key CGC strategy points. Whichever camp you're in though, I think the love for the books shines through. Let's not forget - whatever they are encased in, however they are labelled, whatever they are recorded as, the books are the stars. If the spotlight CGC are shining on them brings new collectors into the fold, that's great as it keeps them and the hobby alive and opens new avenues for those who perhaps may have exhausted home grown US fayre. Those new, potentially less experienced collectors may just have to work a little harder than they otherwise would have needed to, had CGC adopted respectful, literal record keeping!

Now, I'm out! (but really, thank you)

On 4/24/2022 at 9:43 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

That's very kind of you to say Krypto, thank you. And not a gif or meme in sight I see! There, you can do it :foryou:

I may have banged on the most here, and kept it all bubbling along (nothing new there, there are pence books involved!) but many excellent contributions and valid observations have been made by others in the lifetime of the thread. There's a fairly clear for and against divide across the collecting community I think, here and elsewhere, in respect of the key CGC strategy points. Whichever camp you're in though, I think the love for the books shines through. Let's not forget - whatever they are encased in, however they are labelled, whatever they are recorded as, the books are the stars. If the spotlight CGC are shining on them brings new collectors into the fold, that's great as it keeps them and the hobby alive and opens new avenues for those who perhaps may have exhausted home grown US fayre. Those new, potentially less experienced collectors may just have to work a little harder than they otherwise would have needed to, had CGC adopted respectful, literal record keeping!

Now, I'm out! (but really, thank you)

:roflmao:

I am not always just Gifs or Memes.  Although that does seem to be my most visible and the vast majority of my posts to most threads. 

That said some threads definitely deserve the respect and responses of the same caliber of thought that went into crafting and curating them. 

I definitely agree that there have been many valuable conversations and contributions in this thread from varying opinions.  It is great when they can come together and discuss these ideas in productive ways. 

You are welcome.  I appreciate you sharing your experience, knowledge, and passion for the hobby. Thank you again.:foryou:

On 4/23/2022 at 10:40 PM, gadzukes said:

Um.... Should there be a "C" option where the comic is actually called by it's real name "Homem-Aranha"?

3796056008-obv-full.thumb.jpg.230dd4d3a55b119e912a010cd088520c.jpg

Ha ha! Precious. Good catch Gadzukes. Another blow to CGC's competence.xD

From day one my main objection to labeling a foreign/international black and white reprint comic as a if it were a "key" Marvel comic is the potential for people to be ripped off. This isn't worth even a fraction  of £9495 and anyone mad enough to buy it as an investment will come badly unstuck. 

groot.thumb.jpg.b05982ff76b2694d860edf7cc655babd.jpg

On 4/24/2022 at 1:09 PM, themagicrobot said:

From day one my main objection to labeling a foreign/international black and white reprint comic as a if it were a "key" Marvel comic is the potential for people to be ripped off. This isn't worth even a fraction  of £9495 and anyone mad enough to buy it as an investment will come badly unstuck. 

groot.thumb.jpg.b05982ff76b2694d860edf7cc655babd.jpg

Is £9.49 not a fraction of £9495? I'm pretty sure it is.