• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Discussion About How CGC Label Non-US Publications Which Reprint / Reproduce Original US Comic Content
10 10

480 posts in this topic

Has anyone estimated what percent of the census are foreign copies, editions, variants , whatever you want to call them.

I agree CGC is doing a horrible job of labeling them and needs to step up and do a better job on them. I'm just wondering if it makes sense ,at the present moment, to divert resources in this. It appears no one there is expert on these and its such a small niche that resources may be used more strategically . Is there a database where this information is easily available? I don't think you can expect CGC to research each odd book they get, especially if the book is in a language the graders don't understand.  

I have a spanish language comic titled  La Patrulla X.  At the top of the comic it says Segunda Edicion  and on the bottom it says #1. 

If I call it Patrulla X and list it as such, I'm missing  95% of my prospective buyers.  If I call it  Giant size X-Men #1( Spanish Edition),  a lot more eyes will see it. 

If someone asks me if I'm interested in buying a spanish language GS X-Men #1, they have my attention. If they ask if I'm interested in a La Patrulla X second edition, not so much. 

It seems like CGC could use a foreign comic expert.  Has anyone offered their services?

On 3/24/2022 at 1:36 PM, shadroch said:

Has anyone estimated what percent of the census are foreign copies, editions, variants , whatever you want to call them.

I agree CGC is doing a horrible job of labeling them and needs to step up and do a better job on them. I'm just wondering if it makes sense ,at the present moment, to divert resources in this. It appears no one there is expert on these and its such a small niche that resources may be used more strategically . Is there a database where this information is easily available? I don't think you can expect CGC to research each odd book they get, especially if the book is in a language the graders don't understand.  

I have a spanish language comic titled  La Patrulla X.  At the top of the comic it says Segunda Edicion  and on the bottom it says #1. 

If I call it Patrulla X and list it as such, I'm missing  95% of my prospective buyers.  If I call it  Giant size X-Men #1( Spanish Edition),  a lot more eyes will see it. 

If someone asks me if I'm interested in buying a spanish language GS X-Men #1, they have my attention. If they ask if I'm interested in a La Patrulla X second edition, not so much. 

It seems like CGC could use a foreign comic expert.  Has anyone offered their services?

Foreign comics is from what I hear from others and have seen is of the fastest growing segments of comic collecting. I import and used to sell a ton of foreign comics and the past 12 months the interest and prices have exploded. Regarding your Spanish X-men comic it would be labeled as giant size xmen 1 Spanish edition second printing. The original edition was printed about 10 years prior. If your selling foreigns on ebay you definitely want to list it by its American counterpart name otherwise like you said you will miss 95% of buyers. Most of my sales were to first time foreign buyers who loved a certain American book and didn't realize it had foreign counterparts. 

On 3/24/2022 at 10:59 AM, steve566 said:

Foreign comics is from what I hear from others and have seen is of the fastest growing segments of comic collecting. I import and used to sell a ton of foreign comics and the past 12 months the interest and prices have exploded. Regarding your Spanish X-men comic it would be labeled as giant size xmen 1 Spanish edition second printing. The original edition was printed about 10 years prior. If your selling foreigns on ebay you definitely want to list it by its American counterpart name otherwise like you said you will miss 95% of buyers. Most of my sales were to first time foreign buyers who loved a certain American book and didn't realize it had foreign counterparts. 

I agree but it seems CGC doesn't have any experts in the field.  If I was in charge of CGC, it would be on my list of things to see get done, but not at the top.  I might put it before recruiting some new private signings but below improving turn around times and getting new staff.

Someone today posted they were at 14 months waiting for a book they had pressed and slabbed.  Now may not be the best time to put a lot of work into improving a niche market.  First you put out the fires, then you weed the lawn.

Edited by shadroch

On 3/24/2022 at 2:14 PM, shadroch said:

I agree but it seems CGC doesn't have any experts in the field.  If I was in charge of CGC, it would be on my list of things to see get done, but not at the top.  I might put it before recruiting some new private signings but below improving turn around times and getting new staff.

Someone today posted they were at 14 months waiting for a book they had pressed and slabbed.  Now may not be the best time to put a lot of work into improving a niche market.  First you put out the fires, then you weed the lawn.

Agree 100%, they definitely have bigger fish to fry.. but what do they do in the mean time.. the foreign census is growing rapidly every day.. I was under the impression they purchased a large database of foreign comic information.. i have actually been impressed that they knew what some of the books I sent them were.. although I sent them some Indonesian Batman comics they def didn’t label correctly and had no info on label  

On 3/24/2022 at 6:14 PM, shadroch said:

On 3/24/2022 at 5:36 PM, shadroch said:

May not be necessary to divert MUCH resources to deal with the label issue.

As far as I know, Cbcs only had one expert that did their label stuff.

About the Census stuff, they probably could implement a system that search and compares all fields of a certain comic book to a certain search string. So if anyone types "Amazing Spider-Man" and enters 1 in number field, it will look for a mention of ASM n°1 in all sub fields, find them, and then lists them.

The fact that CGC are accepting submissions of comics directly from the UK, Italy and Spain (elsewhere??) then inevitably they are going to get a greater variety of titles (and different-sized comics) as time goes on. There is more to life than just Marvel comics. (I wonder if they have a slab large enough for my "highly collectible" 1964 Big One No 1??)

https://www.cgccomics.uk/news/article/9882/the-bolaffi-auction-group-official-submission-center/

https://www.cgccomics.uk/submit/how-to-submit/

https://www.cgccomics.uk/news/article/9893/London-comic-con-2022/

On 4/21/2022 at 7:08 PM, themagicrobot said:

So the long overdue announcement is that things carry on just the same??

https://www.cgccomics.com/international-comics/

Untitled.jpg.32fb006119f0879e0e37f5a9db4d98a1.jpg

I don't think we were expecting anything else - CGC are set on this strategy.

Apart from the needless, water muddying reference to UK/Canadian/Australian Price Variants, the only aspect of interest I found was this:

Captureb.PNG.8b05c40ada03fde21d73d10c758d337e.PNG

That suggests that the census search function will be adapted to allow books that are labelled with US original titles to be located under their actual title as well. It'll be interesting to see how that is achieved, and what it looks like. 

also this

Ongoing Research

It’s clear that certifying international comics is a daunting task, and given the vast, unchartered territory that lies ahead, identification will be a fluid process for some time. We invite any and all feedback from collectors and submitters as we navigate through international comics in the coming years. CGC highly values participation from the comic book community, who we consider the foundation of our business.

On 4/21/2022 at 8:04 PM, themagicrobot said:

I've got a Pow and Wham 62. Can I get it slabbed as a FF 30 (as it seems artistic alterations/different wording doesn't count) which would then be worth £14.60 instead of tuppence and then we have the £14.99 necessary to create a UK company.

pow.thumb.jpg.d1b095ae735549132223c33c78efe95a.jpg

diablo2.jpg.a25472386872bc5f06546981932c079e.jpg

The UK colourist (with a u) really expressed himself well on those bottles, didn't he.

bot1.PNG.514a7ef89fbb16568feaae6e18962863.PNG  bot2.PNG.621adba39baf5ea98308f993ab3e7553.PNG

That's worth a label note on its own.

On 4/21/2022 at 8:04 PM, themagicrobot said:

I've got a Pow and Wham 62. Can I get it slabbed as a FF 30 (as it seems artistic alterations/different wording doesn't count) which would then be worth £14.60 instead of tuppence and then we have the £14.99 necessary to create a UK company.

Don't be modest Robot, with fifteen quid we could go international.xD

Edited by Redshade

Foreign comics are only foreign if you don't live in the country they originated in so I can't understand why the CGC would accept submissions of books right here in the UK but still label them foreign/international.

I collect foreign comics from that little island on the other side of the Atlantic. After many years/ten minutes of looking I am now the "proud" owner of the complete output of Big Jolt Comics.

am.jpg.65ed60ce268a3e8f8aafb3bf7aad0bb1.jpgam 

Edited by themagicrobot

On 4/21/2022 at 7:08 PM, themagicrobot said:

So the long overdue announcement is that things carry on just the same??

https://www.cgccomics.com/international-comics/

3956457006-obv-full.thumb.jpg.efca70bb3b968982bcc7a19d53c07953.jpg

"things carry on just the same"? That's just what I thought. "Adventure Comics 247" my @rse.

PS. How the heck did that "DYNAMIKA" comic get a 5.5 grade with those badly rusted staples.

On 4/21/2022 at 8:24 PM, themagicrobot said:

You must have something valuable/unreadable you could sell to put towards the cost of a first class stamp and we're on our way...

Blimey mate! Have you seen the price of a first class stamp these days?