• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I think because Heritage has a special relationship with CGC their results get scraped automatically because their results are usually posted within a day or two.

CC manually sends the info over because their stuff takes more time, and CC also doesn't send EVERYTHING over. They're actually selective about which results get posted to my knowledge.

Heritage posts everything.

Clink believes their results are proprietary and don't want them shared. It's been that was since Day 1

Go Collect does have results from all 3 but from what I understand it takes them much longer to get these results (not sure why)

I don't know this for a fact but I can't imagine you're correct about this. The issue with CL is that Josh doesn't want EVERYTHING being reported, he wanted to be able to cherry pick what he reports and George said no it's all or nothing. This is how I remember it when this was discussed here ad nauseum probably 10+ years ago now. It wouldn't make sense that George would take that view with CL and then let CC report partial data.

1 hour ago, Bob Loblaw III said:

The reason is actually greed. Josh wanted to cherry pick and send only the good results, and George said all or nothing, thanks. 

I posted my response to Roy before seeing this but yes, this is how I remember it going down a long time ago.

4 hours ago, LordRahl said:

I don't know this for a fact but I can't imagine you're correct about this. The issue with CL is that Josh doesn't want EVERYTHING being reported, he wanted to be able to cherry pick what he reports and George said no it's all or nothing. This is how I remember it when this was discussed here ad nauseum probably 10+ years ago now. It wouldn't make sense that George would take that view with CL and then let CC report partial data.

How does GPA police what another dealer does or doesn't do? Do you think all dealers submit all of their sales results? (for the record I don't submit any)

10 years ago is a long time ago.

1 hour ago, Bob Loblaw III said:

I think that was the thread where Josh first posted his classic "your moral compass is wound too tight" line hm

I don't think it was Josh who posted that.

1 hour ago, Jesse-Lee said:

I just grabbed a 9.2 for $275 and thought I got a steal - nice pickup!

thanks, you still did really well, that's an awesome price, would have totally gone for that if I saw it. 

Both our examples do show that prices are definitely cooling down for that comic.

Edited by William-James88

3 hours ago, VintageComics said:

How does GPA police what another dealer does or doesn't do? Do you think all dealers submit all of their sales results? (for the record I don't submit any)

10 years ago is a long time ago.

Indeed it is. Things may have changed, I don't know that they have or have not but knowing that Josh was willing to share some data and not all and given that GPA doesn't have any CL data... well there are some assumptions to be made there. I'm not sure what you mean by GPA policing what dealers do or don't do and no, I do not think that all dealers submit data. I'm sure some do and some don't. It does however make sense for George to have a deal with any dealer that is submitting for that dealer to submit all sales. As you don't submit any, that still falls within the all or nothing principle that George apparently wanted. Is there a way to police that with dealers like yourself that don't do business in an open forum like CL with their auctions? Of course not. But it would be pretty easy to police CL's auctions if GPA were so inclined. 

14 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

Indeed it is. Things may have changed, I don't know that they have or have not but knowing that Josh was willing to share some data and not all and given that GPA doesn't have any CL data... well there are some assumptions to be made there. I'm not sure what you mean by GPA policing what dealers do or don't do and no, I do not think that all dealers submit data. I'm sure some do and some don't. It does however make sense for George to have a deal with any dealer that is submitting for that dealer to submit all sales. As you don't submit any, that still falls within the all or nothing principle that George apparently wanted. Is there a way to police that with dealers like yourself that don't do business in an open forum like CL with their auctions? Of course not. But it would be pretty easy to police CL's auctions if GPA were so inclined. 

I know there was a lot of talk about selective reporting 10 or maybe even more years ago and Clink got vilified but when I've looked for previous sales from some sites (like Comic Connect or Pedigree) I've noticed for several years now that not all sales I'm trying to locate end up on GPA from those sites either.

That's what I meant by GPA policing dealers who don't report everything. GPA just accepts the data that dealers choose to submit to it.

I think many dealers who submit, do so selectively. And for the record, I don't submit any data to GPA unless it's something that's sold through my eBay store.

Edited by VintageComics

10 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I know there was a lot of talk about selective reporting 10 or maybe even more years ago and Clink got vilified but when I've looked for previous sales from some sites (like Comic Connect or Pedigree) I've noticed for several years now that not all sales I'm trying to locate end up on GPA from those sites either.

That's what I meant by GPA policing dealers who don't report everything. GPA just accepts the data that dealers choose to submit to it.

I think many dealers who submit, do so selectively. And for the record, I don't submit any data to GPA unless it's something that's sold through my eBay store.

Ahhh. So maybe the problem was that Josh was being too honest and told George that he would only submit cherry picked data while others said they would submit all but aren't actually following through. I'm sure it's not in George's best interest to check on that too closely as I'm sure he doesn't want to just report ebay data but in theory if the deal is submit all or nothing and that isn't being followed, he could boot CC or Pedigree data altogether. And if you are correct and a lot of dealers submit selectively and that is known to GPA, then I honestly have no clue why they wouldn't take cherry picked data from CL as well (shrug) 

You would think rather than waiting for Clink  and the other smaller auctions sites to share their sales data they would just have someone watch the auctions and write down the sold prices and update their database that way. There are not that many books per auction they could literally have one employee just for that and they wouldn't even be full time (: That goes for GoCollect and GPA. I mean they are both basically telling us we didn't add it to our database because they won't send us a spreadsheet with all of their sells.

Edited by TheOldCollector
Once again I worded my venting poorly

1 minute ago, TheOldCollector said:

You would think rather than waiting for Clink  and the other smaller auctions sites to share their sales data they would just have someone watch the auctions and write down the sold prices and update their database that way. There are not that many books per auction they could literally have one employee just for that and they wouldn't even be full time (: That goes for GoCollect and GPA. I mean they are both basically telling us we didn't add it to our database because they won't send us a spreadsheet with all of their sells and we are to lazy to watch the weekly auctions to see what the books sold for and add them to our database.

People don't use pen and paper anymore. Well, not sites like GPA.

They take data submissions through an interface, electronically. Some dealers submit every few weeks or once a month.

With eBay and Heritage (the two primary sources for GPA) they scrape it electronically.

Go Collect does cite Clink sales so I'm not sure how they get the info specifically but we're far beyond the realm of manual labor anymore when it come to recording stuff of the internet.

These days even high school kids can write a -script that does all the work for them from their laptops of phones.

4 minutes ago, TheOldCollector said:

You would think rather than waiting for Clink  and the other smaller auctions sites to share their sales data they would just have someone watch the auctions and write down the sold prices and update their database that way. There are not that many books per auction they could literally have one employee just for that and they wouldn't even be full time (: That goes for GoCollect and GPA. I mean they are both basically telling us we didn't add it to our database because they won't send us a spreadsheet with all of their sells and we are to lazy to watch the weekly auctions to see what the books sold for and add them to our database.

Can't tell if joking but ummmm.... how many books do you think CL auctions off in a month?

On 7/6/2021 at 7:44 PM, VintageComics said:

People don't use pen and paper anymore. Well, not sites like GPA.

They take data submissions through an interface, electronically. Some dealers submit every few weeks or once a month.

With eBay and Heritage (the two primary sources for GPA) they scrape it electronically.

Go Collect does cite Clink sales so I'm not sure how they get the info specifically but we're far beyond the realm of manual labor anymore when it come to recording stuff of the internet.

These days even high school kids can write a ---script that does all the work for them from their laptops of phones.

I know that, but that's what I'm saying they need to actually run the best business they can and rather than sit around and only use what's easy data. How about going out and collecting some?

Should have worded it better.

1 minute ago, TheOldCollector said:

I know that, but that's what I'm saying they need to stop being so lazy and actually run the best business they can and rather than sit around and only use what's easy data. How about going out and collecting some? And do some actual work to become the best in the buisness.

Ah, OK. so you're saying that it's so easy anybody with a pen and paper can do it.

Gotcha.

I've actually had extensive discussions with George from GPA over the years (and some with Go Collect as well) on some decisions they've made but I don't want to answer for them. They each have their reasons for doing things the way they do things.

I guess these are questions for GPA and Go Collect.

16 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

Can't tell if joking but ummmm.... how many books do you think CL auctions off in a month?

Enough that most of us pay attention to all of their auctions... I mean I hop on there even when I'm not planning on bidding on anything in that specific auction just to see where prices are. If you run a business solely on gather sells data on CGC book sells you would think that you would want to gather as much data as possible not just rely on data sent to you. Let's say it was 2k books a week on CLink there are people who's whole job is nothing but data entry and I guarantee they enter more data than that in a single day. We are talking auctions here not direct sells.

14 minutes ago, TheOldCollector said:

Let's say it was 2k books a week on CLink there are people who's whole job is nothing but data entry and I guarantee they enter more data than that in a single day. 

as someone who was in data entry, and who follows the Clink auctions, I can attest that yes it is less than that people do in a single day.