• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Heritage employees can place bids.  This is particularly noticeable when you place a proxy bid in advance of the live auction and suddenly the bid on your lot jumps to just underneath your bid.

I recommend everyone avoid placing a proxy bid, and only place bids during the live bidding segment for the lot(s) that you are going after.

Interesting, that's what my auction ended up as. I put a proxy bid just in case I miss the auction and it ended just under my max :ohnoez:. This was for a Hulk 1.

4 minutes ago, 500hpAudiS4 said:

Interesting, that's what my auction ended up as. I put a proxy bid just in case I miss the auction and it ended just under my max :ohnoez:. This was for a Hulk 1.

What grade Hulk 1 did you buy?

1 hour ago, 500hpAudiS4 said:

I learned similarly, by paying more than necessary on the few occasions where HA ran up my proxy bid.

these days, if I think I won’t be around my computer to bid, I contact HA to arrange bidding over the phone.  You need to arrange at least 24 hrs in advance, and they’ll contact you 5 lots prior to the one you plan on bidding.  It’s a great customer service they provide free of charge.

Edited by jjonahjameson11

On 6/28/2021 at 11:30 AM, wiparker824 said:

Yeah I don’t even bother with heritage right now… books consistently going for 20+% over prices of same books on other auction sites. Especially while the promise collection is running, seems like a lot of deep pockets just throwing in bids on random other books in between promise collection auctions. 

So, if I'm a seller right now, I should go with HA?  I'd have to do the math to see how it would come out after the buyers and sellers premium.

39 minutes ago, CatskillMike said:

So, if I'm a seller right now, I should go with HA?  I'd have to do the math to see how it would come out after the buyers and sellers premium.

Yeah, the prices I’m talking about as the buyer include the buyer’s premium. So I’m not sure the seller is actually getting a bigger number before buyer’s premium compared to CL or CC. Im sure there are cases where it makes sense and cases where it doesn’t. If I for example stumbled across a high grade ‘Tec 27 the clientele and live floor auction nature of HA probably makes a lot of sense. Selling a copy of New Mutants 98? Probably not. Also I’ve never sold on HA personally but have been told by those who do the seller fee is negotiable - so that’s a thing.

8 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Heritage employees can place bids.  This is particularly noticeable when you place a proxy bid in advance of the live auction and suddenly the bid on your lot jumps to just underneath your bid.

I recommend everyone avoid placing a proxy bid, and only place bids during the live bidding segment for the lot(s) that you are going after.

This 100%. Why give the house an edge when theyre already taking 20% on top of the price. If you dont have time to babysit your bid in a live auction, just do what jjonahjameson11 said and use their phone bidding.

And when doing the live bidding, dont enter in your max bid in case there's AI at work that analyzes your max bid and continuously bids up to it or the next bidders max proxy bid. Just bid incrementally until u win or reach your max. But REMINDER: dont get sucked into an emotional bidding war and bid over your max bid as that defeats the purpose of avoiding the proxy bid. Your max before the  auction for the item started should be your max at the end.

And MOST IMPORTANTLY when bidding in heritage remember to factor that 20% buyers premium into your max bid or you will be setting new gpa highs since they report to gpa.

And please folks if you know its already at or past your max bid (including buyers premium), resist the urge to throw in a frustration bid or try to drive up the price bid because that just hurts everyone (except heritage) including you if u dont win as that will become the new gpa high and the next price floor for the next time a similar copy comes up on another auction.

Unless you have unlimited funds, what you overbid on one item takes away from what you can bid for another item you really want that comes up later in the auction or the season.

8 hours ago, wiparker824 said:

Yeah, the prices I’m talking about as the buyer include the buyer’s premium. So I’m not sure the seller is actually getting a bigger number before buyer’s premium compared to CL or CC. Im sure there are cases where it makes sense and cases where it doesn’t. If I for example stumbled across a high grade ‘Tec 27 the clientele and live floor auction nature of HA probably makes a lot of sense. Selling a copy of New Mutants 98? Probably not. Also I’ve never sold on HA personally but have been told by those who do the seller fee is negotiable - so that’s a thing.

The seller is not  better off at Heritage for most cases. 

13 hours ago, justafan said:

But REMINDER: dont get sucked into an emotional bidding war and bid over your max bid as that defeats the purpose of avoiding the proxy bid. Your max before the  auction for the item started should be your max at the end.

Good advice, but if I actually followed it, I would be bookless.  Better to be penniless, I say!

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

7 hours ago, William-James88 said:

The seller is not  better off at Heritage for most cases. 

I don’t know what you’re selling, but when it comes to selling original comic art, you couldn’t be more wrong!

HA consistently yields better results than any other auction site, even accounting for their higher consignment fees

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I don’t know what you’re selling, but when it comes to selling original comic art, you couldn’t be more wrong!

HA consistently yields better results than any other auction site, even accounting for their higher consignment fees

I was looking at 99% of comics. Wasn't looking at original art. And your right, it works well for that and animation cells.

On 6/29/2021 at 9:45 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

That's just anecdotal evidence which totally falls apart as soon as anyone can show a book obtained for far less than the proxy bid (which I do below). Here are some of my purchases, some live, some proxy, 2 obtained for less than my proxy. I always bid guide or FMV so getting my comic for exactly what I bid makes perfect sense. As someone who is involved with stocks, placing a proxy bid just makes sense, since it not only removes any emotional circumstance of overpaying but it also ensures that you buy up all the possible deals. I am happy when I see that I got a comic at exactly my highest bid since that tells me that others also saw it worth that much but were worried of overpaying. They lost before they even started on the live bid.

image.thumb.png.4a4935192385fe20e926e3e1840a161c.png

Also man, if only it was the case that HA employees bid right up to your highest bid, I'd have so many nice books rather than losing out to just 1 incremental bid time and time again.

Edited by William-James88

4 hours ago, William-James88 said:

I was looking at 99% of comics. Wasn't looking at original art. And your right, it works well for that and animation cells.

Also very good for GA Books

1 hour ago, piper said:

Also very good for GA Books

I'm not convinced and was never able to establish a trend like that. Almost found the opposite to be true. GA Books sell well on comiclink and the seller retains much more of that final hammer price since Heritage has a whopping extra 20% buyer premium that the seller won't get. 

Here, the same book sold at both places. 

Comiclink in July 2020 sold for 700. Seller will get 700 - commission

image.thumb.png.88390b56978247ad55b1d4674610b44a.png

Heritage in May 2021 sold for 480. you then have to negate 20% before even looking at what the commission is based on.

So seller gets 400 - comission

image.thumb.png.675f01f845146e54a9aea565655c53bf.png

Seller would have been way better off going through comiclink.

If the same book sold on heritage makes any less than 20% more of what it gets on comiclink, then you as a seller are in a losing position.

Edited by William-James88

The above is true.  CL has definitely stepped it up a couple notches up in terms of realized sale prices for GA books.  What once was a lagger because they were mainly considered to be the best auction house to consign SA and BA books, the recent results for GA books have been very strong. I'm very impressed.

On 6/29/2021 at 6:45 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

amen! hopefully we can spread the word about this here because so many people are not aware of it. totally legal in texas to shill bid, therefore they do it legally. thats how i paid $9,000 for a $7,000 book. live and learn.