• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Austin_t_a said:

Has anyone else noticed comics not really moving as much during the weekdays?  Over the past couple weeks, I've made literally zero eBay sales Monday-Friday but still making plenty of sales on the weekends.  Prior to this, I was selling just as much during the week as on the weekends.  Obviously this is very anecdotal, but I'm curious, have any other sellers around here had a similar experience recently?

Everyone is on heritage auctions

11 hours ago, Drummy said:

Agreed -- I'd put everything 'good' in an auction right now.  Even well-priced comics in marketplaces sit there with lowball bids, even though GPA and auctions say it's a good deal.

One thing that's become clear recently is the aggressive bidders do their work in the big auction houses (HA, Clink) and not Ebay! Maybe they're right in the sense that if I'm spending close to six figures on something I probably want a solidly reliable 3rd party facilitator involved to handle the ins & outs of shipping and anything else might come up. I don't know if I'd be 100% comfortable having some Ebay guy across the country in charge of that? I guess when you reach a certain price tag, accountability becomes more of a need.

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

One thing that's become clear recently is the aggressive bidders do their work in the big auction houses (HA, Clink) and not Ebay! Maybe they're right in the sense that if I'm spending close to six figures on something I probably want a solidly reliable 3rd party facilitator involved to handle the ins & outs of shipping and anything else might come up. I don't know if I'd be 100% comfortable having some Ebay guy across the country in charge of that? I guess when you reach a certain price tag, accountability becomes more of a need.

Agreed.  Someone spending over 2 or 3 k doesn't want to deal with the headache of possible scammers and bad sellers.  Plus the search function for ebay has become dysfunctional as heck.

On 6/19/2021 at 5:07 PM, Wolverinex said:

Agreed.  Someone spending over 2 or 3 k doesn't want to deal with the headache of possible scammers and bad sellers.  Plus the search function for ebay has become dysfunctional as heck.

eBay goes to extraordinary lengths to protect the buyers from bad sellers or scams. I mean you can list an item with a no return policy and still be forced to accept a return 30 days later even if you’re not a scammer and sent exactly what you listed lol.

I think more likely is people don’t want to deal with spending that kind of money with sellers who ship a CGC book in nothing more than a padded envelope and hope for the best. Honestly that’s my main reason for not buying on eBay… if it’s a book that’s worth <100 okay whatever, I’ll roll the dice with whatever crazy way people want to package and send me a book. My all time favorite was when I got a couple Tales To Astonish books (nothing crazy expensive) in a gallon size ziplock bag, in a giant box. But I digress.. anyways big money I want it to arrive safely by people that know how to ship books is what I’m saying. That plus I’m slightly paranoid about giving randoms on eBay my address and at the same time telling said randoms I have a 10k book in my house at my address or that I have the financial means to buy said book in the first place. 

8 minutes ago, Roger66 said:

I am simply amazed :frustrated:or perhaps I shouldn't be (considering human nature) on how many collectors search for trends based upon what is in fact a tiny snippet of time.  For example 3 months for many collectors (esp. flippers) is apparently equivalent to 3 years.  The slightest high or low weekly sale or auction hammer sends convulsions through many a collectors mindset - buy - sell - buy - sell.  (shrug)  This is a major reason why the market is subject to overt manipulation when for example a non-payer sale occurs on eBay but somehow either gets recorded on GPA and/or a dozen collectors post a video or IG posting about "today's high sale!!!."   All in all - trends are best measured with a longer lens and not a close-up.  I have said it here before --- this hobby is truly an echo-chamber filled with self-promotion, false flags, over-hype and layered with misinformation and abject denialism.  My lousy 2 cents. :preach:

This pretty much hits it on the head.  The proliferation of Youtube videos based on identifying investment "trends" based on what happened at Heritage Auctions last week is astounding.

8 hours ago, Roger66 said:

I am simply amazed :frustrated:or perhaps I shouldn't be (considering human nature) on how many collectors search for trends based upon what is in fact a tiny snippet of time.  For example 3 months for many collectors (esp. flippers) is apparently equivalent to 3 years.  The slightest high or low weekly sale or auction hammer sends convulsions through many a collectors mindset - buy - sell - buy - sell.  (shrug)  This is a major reason why the market is subject to overt manipulation when for example a non-payer sale occurs on eBay but somehow either gets recorded on GPA and/or a dozen collectors post a video or IG posting about "today's high sale!!!."   All in all - trends are best measured with a wider lens and not a close-up.  I have said it here before --- this hobby is truly an echo-chamber filled with self-promotion, false flags, over-hype and layered with misinformation and abject denialism.  My lousy 2 cents. :preach:

That about sums it up. (thumbsu

4 hours ago, Taylor G said:
On 6/18/2021 at 11:22 PM, VintageComics said:

What I've noticed is that lots of people don't want to pay a price for a book until someone else does.

You can shop around a killer book and it will grow cobwebs. But as soon as one goes for more at auction everyone wants it at the price you shopped it at 2 weeks ago.

It's the herd mentality in collecting.  No-one trusts their own judgement and waits for the herd to tell them what to do.

Then you get people who can't take No for an answer, bidding in an auction.

It's like the rubes who cashed out their life savings and plowed it into Gamestop.  

No moo cow pls - GIF on Imgur

23 hours ago, wiparker824 said:

eBay goes to extraordinary lengths to protect the buyers from bad sellers or scams. I mean you can list an item with a no return policy and still be forced to accept a return 30 days later even if you’re not a scammer and sent exactly what you listed lol.

I think more likely is people don’t want to deal with spending that kind of money with sellers who ship a CGC book in nothing more than a padded envelope and hope for the best. Honestly that’s my main reason for not buying on eBay… if it’s a book that’s worth <100 okay whatever, I’ll roll the dice with whatever crazy way people want to package and send me a book. My all time favorite was when I got a couple Tales To Astonish books (nothing crazy expensive) in a gallon size ziplock bag, in a giant box. But I digress.. anyways big money I want it to arrive safely by people that know how to ship books is what I’m saying. That plus I’m slightly paranoid about giving randoms on eBay my address and at the same time telling said randoms I have a 10k book in my house at my address or that I have the financial means to buy said book in the first place. 

When it comes to ebay far the biggest deterrent to me is the fact that they started adding sales tax in the last year or so. I know people rightfully complain about poor packaging or undisclosed flaws but those things don't slow me down. I haven't bought much in the last year, but anytime there's an issue with an item I bought on ebay I always resolved it one way or another. If it's minor I'll message the seller in a very calm and professional way and explain the problem and request a discount. It works the majority of the time, probably way more often than you might think. Sellers don't want to deal with a return and have to re-list the book. If the problem is too big like shipping damage then I'll just kindly let them know I'm returning the book and if they don't respond or if they pushback I let them know it's nothing personal but I'm filing a return with ebay. That's works 100% of the time. Despite all of the scammers and amateurs selling on eBay I've never lost a dime. And that includes buying from 0 feedback sellers and other sketchy stuff. I don't mind rolling the dice here and there because, again, I've never lost out. I even once had a case where ebay favored for the seller who was totally in the wrong, I called to dispute their ruling, and they ate the money and gave me a credit. So I got my money back and kept the asm lot I had purchased. 

But as a whole I don't think eBay is as common of a place to sell grails at least anymore it seems like. Which then affects GPA values since a lot of sales have moved to other non-recorded avenues like IG and Facebook. 

21 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

When it comes to ebay far the biggest deterrent to me is the fact that they started adding sales tax in the last year or so. I know people rightfully complain about poor packaging or undisclosed flaws but those things don't slow me down. I haven't bought much in the last year, but anytime there's an issue with an item I bought on ebay I always resolved it one way or another. If it's minor I'll message the seller in a very calm and professional way and explain the problem and request a discount. It works the majority of the time, probably way more often than you might think. Sellers don't want to deal with a return and have to re-list the book. If the problem is too big like shipping damage then I'll just kindly let them know I'm returning the book and if they don't respond or if they pushback I let them know it's nothing personal but I'm filing a return with ebay. That's works 100% of the time. Despite all of the scammers and amateurs selling on eBay I've never lost a dime. And that includes buying from 0 feedback sellers and other sketchy stuff. I don't mind rolling the dice here and there because, again, I've never lost out. I even once had a case where ebay favored for the seller who was totally in the wrong, I called to dispute their ruling, and they ate the money and gave me a credit. So I got my money back and kept the asm lot I had purchased. 

But as a whole I don't think eBay is as common of a place to sell grails at least anymore it seems like. Which then affects GPA values since a lot of sales have moved to other non-recorded avenues like IG and Facebook. 

Yeah like I said eBay protects the buyers so you can always get your money back or work something out but still a headache that I’d prefer to not deal with. Especially when I know that I have a 0% chance of dealing with that with the bigger auction houses. 

27 minutes ago, wiparker824 said:

Yeah like I said eBay protects the buyers so you can always get your money back or work something out but still a headache that I’d prefer to not deal with. Especially when I know that I have a 0% chance of dealing with that with the bigger auction houses. 

True. Just comes down to weighing the hassle VS the price you'll pay. Last year I got a raw TOS 39 on ebay for $2900 that had some minor undisclosed flaws so I had to work with the seller and we agreed on a discount. Ended up grading a 2.5 so in the long run that former hassle is well in the rear view mirror, but I've still got that book at a good deal as a permanent part of my collection. To me the deal is worth the hassle, but I get the assurance piece. I'm just to cheap to pay for assurance i guess (:

9 hours ago, SuperBird said:

It seems like SA Marvels have started to drop a bit, but I've noticed that GA DCs have started to rise. 

Probably an effect of the Heritage Promise auction.