• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, TheOldCollector said:

I know that, but that's what I'm saying they need to stop being so lazy and actually run the best business they can and rather than sit around and only use what's easy data. How about going out and collecting some? And do some actual work to become the best in the buisness.

Dont think you can scrape data like that and sell it for profit. Especially if you previously attempted enter into a data sharing agreement that was rejected.

45 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

People don't use pen and paper anymore. Well, not sites like GPA.

They take data submissions through an interface, electronically. Some dealers submit every few weeks or once a month.

With eBay and Heritage (the two primary sources for GPA) they scrape it electronically.

Go Collect does cite Clink sales so I'm not sure how they get the info specifically but we're far beyond the realm of manual labor anymore when it come to recording stuff of the internet.

These days even high school kids can write a --script that does all the work for them from their laptops of phones.

You could just have a little software program that after the data entry of the final sales data, the app will create a data file that will be acceptable to GPA's system.  It shouldn't be too hard to do.  Take a little time to construct it, then test it and then you have it.

3 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Dont think you can scrape data like that and sell it for profit. Especially if you previously attempted enter into a data sharing agreement that was rejected.

I don't know how it would be illegal if it's public information though. You may be right and this may be the reason they don't just monitor the major auction sites and enter the sold for prices into their systems themselves. But if anyone can see the sold price at auctions I don't think that's illegal to tell someone else on your site?

3 hours ago, TheOldCollector said:

I don't know how it would be illegal if it's public information though. You may be right and this may be the reason they don't just monitor the major auction sites and enter the sold for prices into their systems themselves. But if anyone can see the sold price at auctions I don't think that's illegal to tell someone else on your site?

Just because data, or pictures, or articles are available for free on line doesn’t give one the right to repackage and sell them.

On 7/6/2021 at 12:09 PM, LordRahl said:

I don't know this for a fact but I can't imagine you're correct about this. The issue with CL is that Josh doesn't want EVERYTHING being reported, he wanted to be able to cherry pick what he reports and George said no it's all or nothing. This is how I remember it when this was discussed here ad nauseum probably 10+ years ago now. It wouldn't make sense that George would take that view with CL and then let CC report partial data.

Yup. There was even discussion in a thread between CL and George about it, but trying to locate old threads these days is pretty much impossible.

4 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Yup. There was even discussion in a thread between CL and George about it, but trying to locate old threads these days is pretty much impossible.

Is this it?

Now I am super confused, it seems Clink doesn't want their sales numbers counted in GPA because they believe in accuracy. I don't get how having less items counted makes for decent accuracy. I don't have GPA so I can't comment on how good it is but GoCollect is completely broken and does not show a good sense at all at current fair market value for the examples I checked.

4 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Now I am super confused, it seems Clink doesn't want their sales numbers counted in GPA because they believe in accuracy. I don't get how having less items counted makes for decent accuracy. I don't have GPA so I can't comment on how good it is but GoCollect is completely broken and does not show a good sense at all at current fair market value for the examples I checked.

GPA wanted all sales data to be reported, CLINK didn't want all sales data to be reported. CKLink can't control the price a book in their marketplace gets listed for, so CLINK didn't want someone to undervalue a book, list it cheap & sell then have that low sale report to GPA, and have CLINK look like they don't get top dollar for books on their site. CLink wanted to be able to not report marketplace sales that were sold under market.

Edited by miraclemet

Makes sense now. I wish these sites would knock it off and just let them both use the sales price data if anything it drives more business to them for current auctions. GPA and Go Collect both have great ideas but for collectors I guess we have to keep doing what we are already doing and track all the current auctions on books that we want and make our own list to determine how much we should expect to pay.

2 hours ago, miraclemet said:

GPA wanted all sales data to be reported, CLINK didn't want all sales data to be reported. CKLink can't control the price a book in their marketplace gets listed for, so CLINK didn't want someone to undervalue a book, list it cheap & sell then have that low sale report to GPA, and have CLINK look like they don't get top dollar for books on their site. CLink wanted to be able to not report marketplace sales that were sold under market.

thank you so much for explaining this, makes sense. I would be ok with GPA just using CLink's auction data. Auctions give a better sense of FMV than random sale listings.

14 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

thank you so much for explaining this, makes sense. I would be ok with GPA just using CLink's auction data. Auctions give a better sense of FMV than random sale listings.

Would love to be able to toggle between auction data, bin data and combined data on GPA, as you say auction data is a better FMV indicator 

On 7/1/2021 at 4:58 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Prior to the $55.1K sale on Clink, ASM 129 in 9.8 sold for $33K on clink, and another copy also sold on HA for $33.6K.  Long story short, the book was reaching new record highs with each sale, culminating in the $55.1K record sale on clink.  That clink sale did NOT double the previous high water mark, but it was a huge upwards spike which has since deflated.

Sounds to me as thought the $55.1K sale on CL should really be thought of more as an outlier for now, as opposed to taking it as the norm against which other sales are to be measured against.  hm

Especially since one sale on its own does not a market make.  :preach:

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Sounds to me as thought the $55.1K sale on CL should really be thought of more as an outlier for now, as opposed to taking it as the norm against which other sales are to be measured against.  hm

Especially since one sale on its own does not a market make.  :preach:

I wholeheartedly agree with you.  We just need to inform the folks on ebay and Clink Exchange who are asking $50K+ for their non-descript copies.  :tonofbricks:

On 7/5/2021 at 8:04 PM, MGsimba77 said:

CC reports to GPA but it takes them forever.

On 7/5/2021 at 10:05 PM, VintageComics said:

CC manually sends the info over because their stuff takes more time, and CC also doesn't send EVERYTHING over. They're actually selective about which results get posted to my knowledge.

Is it possible that this is prior to the much hated website revamp by CC which took place last year when their auction archives were ALWAYS far behind because everything seem to be done manually and they probably just never got around to doing it on even their own website?  (shrug)

Although most boardies seem to hate their new website, one of the good things about it is that their auction archives now updates instantaneously after each lot is closed and is pretty much live.  :applause:

Just wish that they would still also have it available in their current auction listings for viewing until at least the end of their Event Auction on Friday night, but I guess you can't have it both ways when it comes to a cheaper website platform like the one that CC has.  :p