• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 8/3/2021 at 7:30 AM, Wolverinex said:

Definitely.   Glad I sold a batch of stuff a few months ago.  Time to buy may be coming.  

Even if a ASM 300 sells for 4k next month is still very high before covid.

If I were to wake up from a coma since 3/20 and sell any of my ASM 300's at $3-4k in CGC 9.8 I would be happy from what they used to sell for.

Book is basically a 5K book now and in 2-5 years it will be 7-8K, and so on and so forth.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 8/3/2021 at 12:41 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

My sales are fine as per usual all year round. 

Sell and buy 24/7, I dont have to wait for summer to end and winter to start.

I don't sell a ton of them but I'd bet graded key books will be hot for quite awhile and there is really no let up when selling those books.  The rest of the comics out there do seem to see a surge in sales in winter and around the tax refund time.  Beginning of summer sales seemed to have had an artificial surge this year due to the stimulus money flooding the market which has been nice - I'm cool with a bit of a slow down this time of year since I'm busier then normal.  

On 8/3/2021 at 11:41 AM, G.A.tor said:

shill bidding is not legal in texas...auction houses are allowed to bid on items in their auction (presumably to win), but shill bidding is very much illegal in texas 

from texas admistrative code: 

(d) A licensee may not knowingly use, or permit the use of, false bidders, cappers, or shills at any auction

I think the concern is that the auction house can see what your max bid is, and then they can go in and bid a few dollars under your max bid just to drive up the price.

On 8/3/2021 at 12:43 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Even if a ASM 300 sells for 4k next month is still very high before covid.

If I were to wake up from a coma since 3/20 and sell any of my ASM 300's at $3-4k in CGC 9.8 I would be happy from what they used to sell for.

Book is basically a 5K book now and in 2-5 years it will be 7-8K, and so on and so forth.

The point of the thread is to see if prices have eased after the huge surge we saw earlier in the year.  To answer that question I would have to say yes considering everything I'm seeing.  This is to be expected since the surge was just so sever and it couldn't last forever.

On 8/3/2021 at 12:48 PM, jharvey said:

I think the concern is that the auction house can see what your max bid is, and then they can go in and bid a few dollars under your max bid just to drive up the price.

that's not legal either...I know what you are saying, but if an auction house employee decides to take place in an auction, it is illegal for them to know submitted proxy's...now any and all auction houses can play that game, so depends on who you trust not too...but many states don't even allow an auction house employee to bid, where as texas and a few other states do...that's the mis information I was responding too

On 8/3/2021 at 11:53 AM, G.A.tor said:

that's not legal either...I know what you are saying, but if an auction house employee decides to take place in an auction, it is illegal for them to know submitted proxy's...now any and all auction houses can play that game, so depends on who you trust not too...but many states don't even allow an auction house employee to bid, where as texas and a few other states do...that's the mis information I was responding too

It may not be legal, but it is also nearly impossible to prove that the auction house employee didn't look at the submitted proxy bid before placing his own bid. If it is nearly impossible to prove, then it really isn't all that illegal. Technically illegal? Sure. In practice, they can do it any time they want to do it and get away with it.

On 8/3/2021 at 12:57 PM, jharvey said:

It may not be legal, but it is also nearly impossible to prove that the auction house employee didn't look at the submitted proxy bid before placing his own bid. If it is nearly impossible to prove, then it really isn't all that illegal. Technically illegal? Sure. In practice, they can do it any time they want to do it and get away with it.

but that's always been the case with any auction house...the difference is in Texas an employee can legally bid on an auction (regardless of intent)...in NY and Maine (cc and cl) they cannot 

On 8/3/2021 at 9:49 AM, 1Cool said:

The point of the thread is to see if prices have eased after the huge surge we saw earlier in the year.  To answer that question I would have to say yes considering everything I'm seeing.  This is to be expected since the surge was just so sever and it couldn't last forever.

Who doesn't know this?  Obviously any market levels off at some point. 

On 8/3/2021 at 1:48 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Some point can be quite a long time period.  But it appears we agree that the huge spike in prices seen in the beginning of the year has stopped and prices seem to be flattening (or dropping).  Prices appear to not be crashing on hot key books but we are in a decent correction phase from what I can see.

On 8/3/2021 at 1:48 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Yep.  Prices will probably be flatish until the Fantastic Four casting announcements are made around year-end (as has been reported), and then prices will surge up again.

IG has very much a feel of spec market, Silver Surfer 3 goes nuts due to speculation everyone lists for record sales and the show ends and the trend moves to Kang. I see the same buyers going heavy after each one, have to give those sellers credit they hype up those books and the buyers follow. Granted the argument will always go back to "it is higher than pre pandemic". This is true but almost true every year the calendar turns. Just the top seems much higher, much to Gator's comment of 200-400%. 

On 8/3/2021 at 9:53 AM, G.A.tor said:

thanks for clarifying that. i still bid on heritage books sometimes, but never pre-bid any longer. too many people have stories just like mine, where the very high early proxy bid was shockingly bid right up to the max increment before the live auction. it may not be legal for auction houses to know submitted proxy bids, but since it's in the software somewhere, i am convinced that some auction houses (or all) do indeed know those bids. and heritage has the advantage of being able to bid on any item in THEIR OWN AUCTION.

but perhaps they didn't know my max, and they just happened to have an employee who wanted a book as bad as me and proxy bid it over GPA by around 25% two years ago, when prices were much more stable than these days. perhaps. 

On 7/19/2021 at 8:18 AM, The lips said:

For books that I'm watching, ASM 238 has slowed and actually dropped quite a bit from its peak 4-5 weeks ago. 

The other books that I'm tracking are still in high demand at ever-increasing prices:

ASM 121, 129, 194, 195, 210, 252, 298, 299, 300, 326, 365, Ann 16

Hulk 340

Thor 337

After reading the response to this post, I did some checking in regard to ASM #238, #252, and #316. I have a 9.2 - 9.4 ASM #238, and prices at those grade levels has gone down. I have a 9.2 - 9.4 ASM #252, and prices at those grade levels have gone down, although not as much as #238. I have a 9.6 ASM #316, and prices have gone down at that grade level.

An ASM #238 at 9.2 has a FMV of $455 (GPA - August), after seeing prices in the mid-$600s to low-$700.
An ASM #238 at 9.4 has a FMV of $660 (GPA - August), after seeing prices in the $700s and $800s since early March.
An ASM #252 at 9.2 has a FMV of $384 (GPA - August). There was an outlier sale of $567 in early May, but otherwise prices have stayed around $300 for much of June and July.
An ASM #252 at 9.4 has a FMV of $336 (GPA - June), after seeing prices in the upper-$300s or lower-$400s in June and July.
An ASM #316 at 9.6 has a FMV of $525 (GPA - August), after seeing prices in the $700s in April.

I had set these books aside to wait for my next shipment to CGC, but I don't think it's worth it to do that right now. My rule of thumb is to have any book with a value of $500+ slabbed (although I have broken this rule numerous times). As of right now, I only see one book with a value of $500+ (ASM #316), and there's no guarantee that that book will continue to have a value of $500+ at the end of 2021.

So, as of right now, my plans are to put these books into Mylars and hold on to them for the foreseeable future.