• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,330 posts in this topic

in all seriousness, i get where bob's intimate knowledge of the ins and outs of the market is proprietary and i totally respect that. plus, anyone who's been actively buying all year has some idea of what's up. still, i thought it'd be nice to get some dealers here discussing their experience, since they know more than most of us about where the market is at at any time.

On 9/26/2021 at 2:50 PM, blazingbob said:

My opinion of the market is 

"Show me the money"

Private transactions,  Auction house records.

I want to see "Real Checks",  proof that money exchanged hands.

Selling to yourself does not constitute a record sale.  

It is kind of funny to post this, buy also intuitive 

I could swear there is a seller on eBay right now, pumping UXM 221 as hard as they can for some reason and a lot of the sales make no sense to me

On 9/26/2021 at 11:05 AM, Bookery said:

I'm going the opposite direction.  It simply takes too long to nitpick-grade all of the comics I have to process anymore.

I've reduced all of my pricing labels items to 2 grades... "Nice"... and "Not so much".

Or you can use the EBay term “acceptable”...:roflmao:

On 9/26/2021 at 7:04 PM, blazingbob said:

The correct ebay term is "I'm not a professional grader but here are some pics"

"Since grading is subjective, I'm just going to price them, which isn't subjective." GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 9/27/2021 at 9:06 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I bought a CGC 3.5 PCH book about 6 months ago for $350. I just saw a sold listing on eBay for $490 "VG" raw. :sick:

Yeah, when this big wave hit, it seemed like PCH / PHM books were still selling around the same prices.  But the crazy prices have spread there as well.  And forget about any book with an MCU tie-in like Black Knight, TTA #13, etc.

On 9/25/2021 at 5:40 PM, Darthbryan said:

There is an oversupply that is on the horizon.  With CGC backed up for months and months that means people emptied the short boxes and sent what are likely to be desirable keys into CGC with hopes of cashing out.  Problem is they’ve now missed their window.  The next 12 months will be interesting, as those books hit mailboxes and start finding their way to market.  

There are so many assumptions contained within your post, and its all a lopsided view as to how things may actually play out.  

I don't have time to spell everything out, but let's just say there's a 50/50 chance you're incorrect.

I've put 17 books in auction

Some of those books, like Xmen (1991) issue 5 is currently at 150.

That freaking shocks me while SS books haven't broken 100.

This market seems volatile to me, but who knows. Just ride it out. I won't be selling books again for awhile I don't think

On 9/27/2021 at 1:36 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Some of those books, like Xmen (1991) issue 5 is currently at 150.

That freaking shocks me while SS books haven't broken 100.

This market seems volatile to me, but who knows. Just ride it out. I won't be selling books again for awhile I don't think

Yeah,  i sold a few keys a few weeks ago and all ended lower.   We have definitely peaked 

On 9/27/2021 at 1:36 PM, Dr. Dank said:

I just listed a few auctions on eBay (Eternals 1-5, Daredevil 9-11 (Echo), Fantastic Four 48, etc.). I obviously don't know the results yet, but there are tons of views and watchers - and 26 bids on the FF 48 already, with 6 1/2 days to go.

This isn't the insanity of 8 months ago where I was getting record prices for carp like Brute Force and Fallen Angels and Pokemon, but I'm still pretty bullish about where we're at.

I'm small potatoes, so I only need to sell 60-80 books a month to do well... Because I don't have to have a lot of turnover, I guess I can be more selective in timing what I sell. And in that shallow end of the market, I still see lots of opportunities. 

On 9/26/2021 at 10:32 PM, WoWitHurts said:

I am priced out and have stopped buying almost entirely. I did buy some copper ASM in KC a bit back only to find most of the back covers to have holes in them. Overpriced and certainly over graded. I just threw them away. Disgusted. 

Sounds like the shart I was getting in claim sales when I experimented with that. Had been in the lookout for ASM 298, 299 and 301. Seller claimed all were 9.0+. I get them and they were what I call “comic shop near mint” which means CGC 7.5/8.0 with Spine wear and blunted corners. 

Edited by Darthbryan
Misspelling.

On 9/25/2021 at 5:40 PM, Darthbryan said:

There is an oversupply that is on the horizon.  With CGC backed up for months and months that means people emptied the short boxes and sent what are likely to be desirable keys into CGC with hopes of cashing out.  Problem is they’ve now missed their window.  The next 12 months will be interesting, as those books hit mailboxes and start finding their way to market.  

This is probably true on some books. With some Golden and Silverage that were already taking a ride to Sarasota, I flipped through and tossed multiple copies of Secret wars 8, ASM 252, ASM 361 and Spawn 1's in figuring I would sell when they got back since they were going nuts. I honestly have almost forgot what is there so it will be like Christmas when they get back.