• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,039 posts in this topic

On 10/7/2021 at 4:30 PM, Wolverinex said:

I had no idea comiclink offered the service. How much do they charge?

Nothing!!! (They take the cost of slabbing the book out of the money they pay you at auction end) I sent them books, they handled the cgc. They will even recommend ones to get the cva sticker. Regardless of what I think about the sticker personally, I got the sticker and was glad I did. I marked books I wanted the sticker for and they had others I didn't plan on getting it for but did anyways and yes, get the sticker. Or not but I am a fan of it. 

On 10/7/2021 at 10:30 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Interesting.  I look at it differently -- the gap between 9.8 and 9.6, or 9.6 and 9.4, or 9.0 and 8.0 (and so on) keeps growing and growing, which means the returns are higher for higher grades.  I believe the data bears this out across the ages.  To the extent that anyone harbors fear in the back of their mind that an inevitable cooling off or correction is coming, it stands to reason that higher-grade books (and, to the point I was making earlier, especially books that are genuinely short supply) will do a much better job of holding their value.  So yes, it costs more to invest at the upper end but it's also a much, much better bet.

I want to dig deeper into some of the spreads as well.   I would've guessed that % spreads between most grades except maybe the 9.8/9.6 stuff would have remained fairly constant over time - noting that a snapshot at any moment in time might show something funky due to a new high-water mark in one grade that has yet to impact the adjacent grades.    I did a very casual look at IH181 between 6.5 - 7.5 - 8.5...and while the % spread between 6.5 and 7.5 has been gone up a little bit between 2018 and now (but mostly steady) - the spread between 7.5 and 8.5 actually dropped by half.   It was running around 40% in 2018 and is now down to 20% - and the 90 day was down closer to 10% (though I appreciate that this market is somewhat volatile these days so the 90 day may be nothing to hang your hat on).    Noticed some of the same drop in % spreads on low-mid to lower grades of AF15.   

On 10/7/2021 at 1:37 PM, valiantman said:

Many examples are the opposite of this advice.

https://comics.gpanalysis.com/try-out/sales-data/41/181

You could get 10 copies of CGC 6.0 Hulk #181 for $4,000 in 2010.  They'd be worth $55,000 today.  You could sell 1, get all your investment back and hold 9 of them.

You could get 1 copy of CGC 9.6 Hulk #181 for $4,000 in 2010.  It would be worth $30,000 today.  You can't get your investment back without selling the whole thing.

If only the system had some kind of fractional sale options, it would be possible to get your original investment back and hang onto the majority of the book worth half as much from traditional investing. :kidaround:

That's an interesting observation, thanks for sharing it.

I've already made clear in this thread that I'm not the kind of guy who would want 10 copies of the same book, much less 10 mid-grade copies of a book in very high supply, mega-key or not.  But if someone wanted to pursue the strategy you outline above, you've shown that it's more than defensible.

In my own collecting / investing, I'm only really paying attention to high-grade books.  That means 9.0-9.4 in the Silver Age, 9.4-9.6 in the Bronze Age, and 9.8 exclusively in the Copper / Modern Age.  I've seen a very clear widening of the gap between 9.4/9.6 prices and 9.6/9.8 prices.  To the extent that the gap may have actually narrowed between grades lower down the scale (say, 6.0/7.0), I'm fascinated to learn that and it's clear I have a blind spot regarding that part of the market.  It's just not a playground I play in.  I continue to feel that mid-grade and low-grade investments in books that exist in very high supply is a riskier proposition if you believe that there will ever be a future correction in the market.

As for fractional shares, I think anyone who's familiar with your many posts on the topic knows where you stand on that.  Not something that appeals to me, but to each their own and caveat emptor.  :foryou:

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 10/7/2021 at 6:53 PM, valiantman said:

Fair enough.  I don't think there's any reason to "limit yourself" to high grade copies of books.  If you believe in the book, then you set a dollar amount and buy whatever you think is worth owning.

In the case of Hulk #181, my example was setting a dollar amount of $4,000 in 2010 and checking the results for 2021.  A stack of CGC 6.0 slabs would have won hands down over a single CGC 9.6.

The same is true for ASM #300... buying as many copies as possible under CGC 8.5 years ago would have paid off many times more than buying CGC 9.8.

Effectively, the market is showing us that if a book is "worth owning", then it is "worth owning in lower grades"... and those lower grades are often very cheap... for a while.

Very cheap moving to a moderate price is usually a multiplier that is much higher than the most expensive moving to more expensive.

It just takes so much extra growth for a book to go from $2,000 to $4,000, when it is very easy for a book to go from $100 to $300, so if the market increase is the goal, having a rule that you only want one copy is basically handicapping yourself.  Choose a dollar limit, not a slab limit.  Then, when you're truly ready to own 1 copy instead of 10, you cash out on 9 of them.

The other thing this shows us is that if a book is only "worth owning" in the highest possible CGC grade, then perhaps the book has no long term prospects. 

If any book is only worth owning in the highest grade (or only if it's a particular variant), then the contents aren't actually being valued at all.

You're entitled to your own philosophy, but I don't think you should be telling me (or anyone else) whether I'm "handicapping myself" or whether I am valuing the contents of the books I collect (of which, I have read and enjoyed every single one).

I'm fortunate to be able to afford high grade books outright, and therefore I have no interest in low- to mid-grade books or partial ownership of books.  That's what works for me.  I encourage you (and everyone else) to do whatever works for you.

On 10/7/2021 at 8:46 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Amazing Spider-Man 361 has plummeted in value over the past 6 months. Watched a newsstand copy in 9.8 sell for $760 about a week ago vs. when I sold mine for $1600 a while back.

I sold my 9.6 for 600 bucks 4 months ago

On 10/7/2021 at 10:46 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Amazing Spider-Man 361 has plummeted in value over the past 6 months. Watched a newsstand copy in 9.8 sell for $760 about a week ago vs. when I sold mine for $1600 a while back.

This particular book is obviously a very current example of a movie hype book.  In hindsight I bought a copy of another book in this category, Special Marvel Edition #15, at a not-so-great time.  Should have remembered the old adage that movie books drop hard after the release date.

On 10/7/2021 at 8:00 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

This particular book is obviously a very current example of a movie hype book.  In hindsight I bought a copy of another book in this category, Special Marvel Edition #15, at a not-so-great time.  Should have remembered the old adage that movie books drop hard after the release date.

That and a market dump, what is it in 9.8 5.5K ish copies? The movie hype brings out sellers

On 10/7/2021 at 8:07 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

You're entitled to your own philosophy, but I don't think you should be telling me (or anyone else) whether I'm "handicapping myself" or whether I am valuing the contents of the books I collect (of which, I have read and enjoyed every single one).

I'm fortunate to be able to afford high grade books outright, and therefore I have no interest in low- to mid-grade books or partial ownership of books.  That's what works for me.  I encourage you (and everyone else) to do whatever works for you.

That's fine, but I only responded to you because you said: 

On 10/7/2021 at 12:30 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Interesting.  I look at it differently -- the gap between 9.8 and 9.6, or 9.6 and 9.4, or 9.0 and 8.0 (and so on) keeps growing and growing, which means the returns are higher for higher grades.  I believe the data bears this out across the ages.  To the extent that anyone harbors fear in the back of their mind that an inevitable cooling off or correction is coming, it stands to reason that higher-grade books (and, to the point I was making earlier, especially books that are genuinely short supply) will do a much better job of holding their value.  So yes, it costs more to invest at the upper end but it's also a much, much better bet.

... and you were quite wrong.  So, my suggestions are not telling anyone to do anything, other than to ignore your suggestions, because what you claim that "data across the ages" shows "higher returns" do not.

You're mad that I tried suggesting something to you that you didn't care for, but don't be mad at me when I point out your advice doesn't stand up to a calculator --- which has no feelings at all.

On 10/7/2021 at 11:53 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

That and a market dump, what is it in 9.8 5.5K ish copies? The movie hype brings out sellers

The question is if this bearish trend due to a correction from the ridiculous prices or if this is the normal seasonal dip as we head towards Christmas?

On 10/8/2021 at 7:42 AM, Wolverinex said:

The question is if this bearish trend due to a correction from the ridiculous prices or if this is the normal seasonal dip as we head towards Christmas?

I guess we will know more in 2022

On 10/8/2021 at 10:33 AM, valiantman said:

That's fine, but I only responded to you because you said: 

... and you were quite wrong.  So, my suggestions are not telling anyone to do anything, other than to ignore your suggestions, because what you claim that "data across the ages" shows "higher returns" do not.

You're mad that I tried suggesting something to you that you didn't care for, but don't be mad at me when I point out your advice doesn't stand up to a calculator --- which has no feelings at all.

It’s a real shame you decided to respond like this. I thought I would give interacting with you another chance, but you just can’t stop yourself from being the most insufferable poster on this site.

Seriously, stay away and I will do the same. 

On 10/7/2021 at 10:46 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Yeah that was one of the books of sports card YouTuber was pumping along with ASM 252. I haven't seen any of his videos recently.  wonder what he is doing now... freaking out?

On 10/8/2021 at 11:03 AM, Wolverinex said:

Yeah that was one of the books of sports card YouTuber was pumping along with ASM 252. I haven't seen any of his videos recently.  wonder what he is doing now... freaking out?

Reminds me of that "eccentric" guy who had all sorts of visual gimmicks and gave stock advice