• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 7/15/2022 at 4:31 PM, Ed Hanes said:

well, I said I wanted to unload these to buy Romita ASM high grade covers (read the entire post)...and I haven't seen anything on a commitment to bringing both to the MCU...just conjecture, but if you have other published information, please share

I can respect anyone who wants to acquire JRS ASM but if you think X-Men and FF in the MCU is just conjecture (characters have already been introduced) and you need me to provide more proof I'll probably have to move on from the conversation with you

maybe Disney acquired 20th Century Fox for 71.3 billion just for Freddy Got Fingered

On 7/15/2022 at 2:43 PM, Pantodude said:

As good a reason as any, have the hobby fund itself. (thumbsu  I need to try that more consistently.  But regarding X-Men in the MCU, you didn't get the memo? post redacted . .

ahhh, okay, thanks for the easter eggs...I saw the last episode but TBH, I don't know much about Ms Marvel's background and I don't really know much about X-men  (or FF) ..I guess I am mostly a Spiderman fan 

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 7/15/2022 at 5:51 PM, Ed Hanes said:

ahhh, okay, thanks for the easter eggs...I saw the last episode but TBH, I don't know much about Ms Marvel's background and I don't really know much about X-men  (or FF) ..I guess I am mostly a Spiderman fan 

Oh boy!  I revised my post to use a spoiler-prevention hidden message!  You quoted the original thing!    Not my fault.  :devil:

Edited by Pantodude

On 7/15/2022 at 2:51 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

I can respect anyone who wants to acquire JRS ASM but if you think X-Men and FF in the MCU is just conjecture (characters have already been introduced) and you need me to provide more proof I'll probably have to move on from the conversation with you

maybe Disney acquired 20th Century Fox for 71.3 billion just for Freddy Got Fingered

oh , right...I totally forgot about Mr Fantastic, Black Bolt and Charles Xavier in the Dr. Strange Movie..okay, I stand corrected

On 7/15/2022 at 5:31 PM, Ed Hanes said:

well, I said I wanted to unload these to buy Romita ASM high grade covers (read the entire post)...and I haven't seen anything on a commitment to bringing both to the MCU...just conjecture, but if you have other published information, please share

Why Romita ASM covers?  Other than them being awesome art.  Lol.

On 7/15/2022 at 4:02 PM, XxSpideyxX said:

Why Romita ASM covers?  Other than them being awesome art.  Lol.

I was a kid in the 70s and 80s that only read Spider-Man … I have ASM from 2 and up but wanting to get all the Romita covers in as high grades possible that I can afford (around 8.0)  .. up to 101 … I already have all the Ditkos in grades I want … and yes,  because they are great covers and one of the most consistent great runs in the comic book world  

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 7/9/2022 at 1:44 PM, lou_fine said:

when the Afterlife Archie titles came out a few years ago, as I had always liked the Archie character and the Riverdale TV show was just starting up and thought their take on the characters were rather interesting at the time.  doh!

Afterlife with Archie is REALLY GOOD.  

On 7/12/2022 at 4:43 PM, Beastfeast said:

Also, weren't those books HUGE successes as far as specs go?  If you sold back then, you killed it.  If you held, well, you still did ok.  

Over my collecting "career," I've rarely sold books that weren't duplicates.  However, the Valiant madness was an exception.  I sold all the pre-Unity Valiant books I had during the peak of said madness, and made a tidy profit.  A little over a decade later, I replaced them in my collection at, in many cases, below cover price.

On 7/15/2022 at 8:36 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:
On 7/15/2022 at 6:58 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Is it just my imagination, or does every outlet/auction list about 10 AF 15’s for sale?

Maybe a slight exaggeration, but yes they seem to be falling off trees.

Well, as we all know here, SA Marvel super-hero books are definitely not a real challenge to acquire as a complete set of them can be acquire in mere days as long as you are willing to open up your wallet and not looking for only HG copies. 

Definitely not the case for HTF GA books, especially for ones from outside the Big 2 publishers, with some books taking years (if ever) to find their way into the marketplace, and then only if you are lucky enough to be in the right place and time to spot them.  :wishluck:

On 7/15/2022 at 5:37 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, as we all know here, SA Marvel super-hero books are definitely not a real challenge to acquire as a complete set of them can be acquire in mere days as long as you are willing to open up your wallet and not looking for only HG copies. 

Definitely not the case for HTF GA books, especially for ones from outside the Big 2 publishers, with some books taking years (if ever) to find their way into the marketplace, and then only if you are lucky enough to be in the right place and time to spot them.  :wishluck:

And have the money at the right time…

There’s been more than a few times where I bought a big book only to see something scarce on my want list & desired grade become available.

On 7/15/2022 at 6:05 PM, Ed Hanes said:

oh , right...I totally forgot about Mr Fantastic, Black Bolt and Charles Xavier in the Dr. Strange Movie..okay, I stand corrected

Also Disney outright said FF movie was coming during Investor Day 2019 or 2020…

On 7/15/2022 at 7:37 PM, lou_fine said:

That's not entirely accurate or fair. :baiting:  There are Marvel SA super-hero books that appear to be as hard or harder to find (even in the lowest grades) than the GA keys.  The complete set of a specific Marvel SA issue includes the cents and pence version, as they were printed at the same time/place.  Where can I find for sale now or in an upcoming auction a U.K. price variant (slabbed or raw, univeral or restored, and in ANY grade) of Incredible Hulk #1 or #2?   Or Amazing Spider-Man #2?  Or Tales to Astonish #27?  Or Tales of Suspense #39? Or Journey into Mystery #83?  Or Fantastic Four #2 or #5?  It is practically impossible to complete a UK price variant run (in any grade) of the Marvel keys in Overstreet's top 50 SA, even with deep pockets and years of hunting.  Maybe someone (in the UK?) could make a decent dent in such a run, but it would be difficult.    

By comparison, Pep comics 22, TEC 27, 28, 36, and 37, Action Comics 1, 2, 3, 4, and 10, Archie Comics 1, Batman 1, Superman 1, More Fun Comics 52, All Star Comics 8, Green Lantern 1, and All-American Comics 16, are all for sale on eBay right now.  And a Captain America Comics 1 and 2, Adventure Comcis #40, Action Comics 13 (3 of them!) and another More Fun Comics 52 will be in an upcoming ComicConnect auction.  There's even several Punch Comics #12 on Heritage (either for sale now or in an upcoming auction).  Apparently, one could acquire a significant portion of Overstreet's top 50 GA right now, assuming a deep pocket, of course.  Other GA books are certainly very difficult to find at this time, if at all, but so are certain Marvel SA super-hero books.    

So, for those who want it, there is legit rarity in Marvel SA super-hero books.  

Edited by Pantodude

I understand why everyone would be speculating on X-men and FF inclusion in the MCU.  But if everyone is speculating on it, don't we reach a point where that inclusion is factored into the Fair Market Value?  I also question if MCU inclusion will continue to carry the same weight and command the same premium over non-MCU screen exposure for other characters (particularly DC characters)?  Is it possible that the MCU premium could have nearly peaked with End Game and got an additional boost from a lockdown that put everyone into a mindset that valued an entertainment based universe over tangible things in the real world?  I'm not saying that I'm above speculating on MCU inclusion, but I'm thinking probably future FMV will be based on 3 things: 1)  Degree of MCU inclusion, 2) ongoing premium value of MCU brand, and 3) big picture economic environment locally and globally?   

On 7/15/2022 at 6:55 PM, Pantodude said:

The complete set of a specific Marvel SA issue includes the cents and pence version, as they were printed at the same time/place. 

They were printed in different print runs.  And they were sold in different countries. So they are two different sets: (1) The U.S. set and (2) the U.K. set. An analogy.

As an aside: FDR was the leader of the U.S. and Churchill the leader of the U.K. despite the fact that they both had American mothers. What matters is not where you start out, but where you end up. Otherwise, a lot of "U.S. comics" these days would be deemed foreign issues because while they were sold in the U.S., they were printed outside of it.

On 7/16/2022 at 1:38 AM, sfcityduck said:

hey were printed in different print runs.  And they were sold in different countries. So they are two different sets: (1) The U.S. set and (2) the U.K. set.

Hi.  Respectfully, you are mistaken, apparently due to a common misunderstanding.  While one is free conceptually to treat them as different sets (they are variants, after all!), it is a mistake to suggest they are not part of the same release.  The UK price variants are a tiny subset of the original print run (when the printing plate was modified for the changes to the cover for the pence or cents version), after which the variants were set aside for the trip across the Atlantic.  This could explain why so few of them survived in high grade.  So they are Type 1A price variants, and a Tales of Suspense #39 UKPV is just as much the 1st appearance of Iron Man as the cents version and vice versa. One could prefer one over the other, but that fact remains.  You can research UK price variants anywhere, but ideally here at threads dedicated to UK price variants, like this one: 

A more apt analogy:  35-cent price variants.  They too were a tiny subset of the original print run and set aside to be sold in select markets (but this time to test viability of a price increase).  And they too are considered the 1st appearance (where the issue had one) just as much as the regularly-priced version and vice versa.  In this regard (i.e., tiny subset of original print run), they are indistinguishable from UK price variants.  

Hope that helps, but we shouldn't hijack this thread.  Feel free to visit the above-referenced Marvel UKPV thread if you have any questions about UK price variants.  It is as well-hosted as you will find!   (thumbsu 

Edited by Pantodude