• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,107 posts in this topic

On 7/15/2022 at 6:58 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Is it just my imagination, or does every outlet/auction list about 10 AF 15’s for sale?

just a few years ago, af15 prices plateaued for a bit. there was some discussion on these boards about it, with several GA guys claiming this was to be expected since it's so much more common than all GA keys. i wanted to get another copy but even then it was pricey. now, a few years on, it's up 2-4 times what it was then. after last year's incredible runups and the current recession, it's not surprising that fearful people want to cash out as they watch their 401k or IRA accounts crater. but i think recent history shows that it's a good time to buy for those who have the dough. and no, it's not captain america comics #1. it's spiderman, still the most popular superhero on earth. 

Edited by alexgross.com

On 7/15/2022 at 10:49 AM, alexgross.com said:

and no, it's not captain america comics #1. it's spiderman, still the most popular superhero on earth. 

Oh ouch

and don’t get me wrong. I want one myself. But my memory of them going for cheap for so many years means that ship has already sailed for me

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 7/15/2022 at 9:49 AM, alexgross.com said:

just a few years ago, af15 prices plateaued for a bit. there was some discussion on these boards about it, with several GA guys claiming this was to be expected since it's so much more common than all GA keys. i wanted to get another copy but even then it was pricey. now, a few years on, it's up 2-4 times what it was then. after last year's incredible runups and the current recession, it's not surprising that fearful people want to cash out as they watch their 401k or IRA accounts crater. but i think recent history shows that it's a good time to buy for those who have the dough. and no, it's not captain america comics #1. it's spiderman, still the most popular superhero on earth. 

I wish that I had bought three copies instead of one or at minimum stretched a little on my budget to purchase a nicer copy than my 3.5 back in 2008/9.

On 6/26/2022 at 10:01 AM, lou_fine said:

I think it would have been an total shock and absolute surprise if prices did NOT drop from the crazy town levels that we saw last year with some of these books here.  (thumbsu

Not so much in the case of some of the HTF GA books that hardly ever shows up to market, but definitely so with the much more common recent books where you see multiple copies showing up in every single auction.  Especially when these "common as dirt" so-called key books were being snapped out not to be put into the purchaser's collection, but brought solely on the basis that prices would keep going up on the book in question.  Nothing to deflate a market faster then the "greater fool" theory when it is exposed for what it is, with the CGC storage warehouse in overflow mode and bursting at the seams as these overhyped books keep flowing in.  doh!  :tonofbricks:

Yes! And glad you qualified GA books with "HTF" as even in that category, there are a lot of common or I should say, less desirable books, even with the flagship Timely titles that tend to sit on the shelf longer.

On 7/15/2022 at 6:58 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Is it just my imagination, or does every outlet/auction list about 10 AF 15’s for sale?

3 on MCS...that's three more than last summer..i'm playing the lottery for the CGC 6.5 

I wish I had spent that 600 dollars on the one I remember seeing in 1988

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 7/14/2022 at 4:02 PM, alexanderjk said:
On 7/14/2022 at 11:37 AM, toro said:

Whatsnot sales data?  

Instagram sellers?

GPA should just have a category for NerdyGirl sales.  I swear all of the geek boys go crazy for her and her friends sales on WhatNot and Instagram.  I will watch for a while, but honestly can't believe how some of the guys trip over themselves trying to show who has the biggest bankroll.

AND they managed to crowdfund their trip to SDCC. So despite routinely buying and selling five- and six-figure books, they’re pocketing thousands more from “fans.” Wild. 

Wait wait wait. When you say "they managed to crowdfund their trip to SDCC," do you mean NerdyGirl comics got their trip crowdfunded? More power to her/them if that's true, but I'll second October's comment at the same time.

And to anyone reading, isn't NerdyGirl Filter's partner? Or am I misremembering?

On 7/15/2022 at 1:37 PM, Pontoon said:

Wait wait wait. When you say "they managed to crowdfund their trip to SDCC," do you mean NerdyGirl comics got their trip crowdfunded? More power to her/them if that's true, but I'll second October's comment at the same time.

And to anyone reading, isn't NerdyGirl Filter's partner? Or am I misremembering?

You are correct sir

On 7/14/2022 at 8:37 AM, toro said:

Whatsnot sales data?  

Instagram sellers?

GPA should just have a category for NerdyGirl sales.  I swear all of the geek boys go crazy for her and her friends sales on WhatNot and Instagram.  I will watch for a while, but honestly can't believe how some of the guys trip over themselves trying to show who has the biggest bankroll.

I'm on Instagram and used to follow NerdyGirl and her accomplice from Skeleton Key comics but IMO all of their *sales* were all sizzle and no steak. I'll take the G/S/B Forum Only Selling Area over these two, any day!

nerdy.jpg.8b2ee761627c861635bcd0c81e2c6534.jpg

On 7/14/2022 at 7:58 AM, Aman619 said:

This makes a lot of sense.  Fewer reported sales will skew GPA data.  Or does it?  You and others in the categories you list as having been affected by the covid holiday never reported data to GPA.  All these sales have always been invisible.  But GPA kept tracking what it gets… and was as accurate as it could be from its sources.  GPA is still posting sales from the same places, so in their subset of sales data, conclusions can still be drawn from it.  Also, GPA numbers always require a greater understanding to interpret.  It’s always best for Spidey 361, she hulk 1 etc etc … any comic that changes hands rapidly and often.  And has never been as helpful with sales of older more expensive and rarely sold books.  Well, that hasn’t changed either.  And, this thread has a board member didligently comparing ONLY Comiclink data — apples to apples —  certainly Comiclink sales have been an accurate barometer of what’s going up and down, hot and cold.

so, I think your explanations has merit, but not as a blanket statement about comics pricing as a whole across the board. It’s always been fragmented …a draw your own conclusions thing.  what we need of course is MORE data,   Ahem.

+1 for more data. But reliable and digestible data. While of course not perfect, best option to date is GPA.

I am curious what reasons do dealers give for choosing not to report to GPA. I'm sure some are valid. I do know first hand that there can be a technical barrier to reporting to GPA. The data has to be rolled into a file in a specific format and structure as prescribed by them. Ideally the file is produced programmatically. It can certainly be done manually but that's typically prone to human error. I would think that some of the dealers and auction houses submit their data as text or in a spreadsheet and let the folks at GPA then process it.

When I had just launched my online store a little over a year ago, I felt it was important for me to disclose all CGC sales, unfiltered. I got in touch with George at GPA shortly after and with his and the support team's help (so grateful for that!), I became a reporting partner. Producing the data feed manually was absolutely not an option. I've got too much on my plate. So I built a service that grabs recently sold and live items and delivers it to the GPA system on a daily basis. (I benefit from 20+ years of software engineer experience and so I was able to write and now manage the service myself.)

Other dealers can and are welcome to the service too if they're looking for a streamlined way of onboarding with GPA.

So yes, MORE data! 

Edited by ComicsAndCode

On 7/15/2022 at 2:26 PM, Black_Adam said:

I'm on Instagram and used to follow NerdyGirl and her accomplice from Skeleton Key comics but IMO all of their *sales* were all sizzle and no steak. I'll take the G/S/B Forum Only Selling Area over these two, any day!

nerdy.jpg.8b2ee761627c861635bcd0c81e2c6534.jpg

NerdyGirl and Filter sold me my Bat 1 and Cap 1, no problems with either transaction 

On 7/15/2022 at 1:24 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

NerdyGirl and Filter sold me my Bat 1 and Cap 1, no problems with either transaction 

I didn't mean to indicate anyone would have any issues buying from NerdyGirl or Sam (from Skeleton Key comics) on Instagram. Their reputation is first class and they are trusted sellers with a capital T. I just felt in my time following them on Instagram that it was all a big social media party and few deals of the kind I'm looking for (I could never afford either of the comics you bought even if I liquidated everything I own). Whereas I find stuff I like all the time on these here boards!

On 7/14/2022 at 11:19 PM, Ed Hanes said:

My guess is that there is no future of X-men or FF in the MCU...I don't really know. 

clearly to the bolded part

both franchises are coming to the MCU and should make significant impact for years to come 

no idea why you would unload now at a loss and wouldn't hold unless you were strapped for cash

Edited by StillOnly25Cents

On 7/15/2022 at 4:14 PM, ComicsAndCode said:

+1 for more data. But reliable and digestible data. While of course not perfect, best option to date is GPA.

I am curious what reasons do dealers give for choosing not to report to GPA. I'm sure some are valid. I do know first hand that there can be a technical barrier to reporting to GPA. The data has to be rolled into a file in a specific format and structure as prescribed by them. Ideally the file is produced programmatically. It can certainly be done manually but that's typically prone to human error. I would think that some of the dealers and auction houses submit their data as text or in a spreadsheet and let the folks at GPA then process it.

When I had just launched my online store a little over a year ago, I felt it was important for me to disclose all CGC sales, unfiltered. I got in touch with George at GPA shortly after and with his and the support team's help (so grateful for that!), I became a reporting partner. Producing the data feed manually was absolutely not an option. I've got too much on my plate. So I built a service that grabs recently sold and live items and delivers it to the GPA system on a daily basis. (I benefit from 20+ years of software engineer experience and so I was able to write and now manage the service myself.)

Other dealers can and are welcome to the service too if they're looking for a streamlined way of onboarding with GPA.

So yes, MORE data! 

I love a quick and easy tech solution to data!  nice going.  Thats solves the complexity problem of dealers reporting their sales, which Ive heard has been a roadblock when they have to spend a lot of time manually collating the data.  But, ease of reporting isn't the real problem dealers have with reporting sales!  Most just cant get past the idea that their secret sales data is better kept to themselves than shared.  I wonder though, if this proprietary information "feeling" they have is similar to how dealers felt about third party grading, like when CGC came along 22 years ago.  By far most dealers polled were dead set against anyone taking the grading out of their hands--- it was cash cow for them, and they didnt trust an intermediary lowering their grades, and hence the values of their inventory.  Surprisingly, they came on board willingly because they didnt factor in the multiples of their pricing they could gain with their Highest Graded stock.  Instead of getting Guide, or double guide, 9.4s, and later 9.6s and 9.8s could sell for 10x Guide!  Prices no dealer in his right mind would EVER sticker a book..  That more than made up for having their NMs come back as Fines.

so maybe they are being short sighted again.  and there's an upside to sharing their sales data. More data nmeans more trust in pricing when its verifiable as the going rate. I mean, if GPS shows a book selling on average lately for 5000, but the dealer knows he sold a copy for 8000, how is he helped by keeping that private?  Stickering it at 8000 makes it harder to sell its but -- with the recent 8000 sale on GPA, buyers will be more comfortable purchasing it,  no??  and heck, that same dealer can sticker it for 10K and have room to negotiate.  win win.

On 7/15/2022 at 3:46 PM, Black_Adam said:

I didn't mean to indicate anyone would have any issues buying from NerdyGirl or Sam (from Skeleton Key comics) on Instagram. Their reputation is first class and they are trusted sellers with a capital T. I just felt in my time following them on Instagram that it was all a big social media party and few deals of the kind I'm looking for (I could never afford either of the comics you bought even if I liquidated everything I own). Whereas I find stuff I like all the time on these here boards!

I too cast a jaundiced eye to those who self promote to excess. Fortunately, I’m an analog guy who knows nothing of this Instagram world.

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 7/15/2022 at 1:53 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

clearly to the bolded part

both franchises are coming to the MCU and should make significant impact for years to come 

no idea why you would unload now at a loss and wouldn't hold unless you were strapped for cash

well, I said I wanted to unload these to buy Romita ASM high grade covers (read the entire post)...and I haven't seen anything on a commitment to bringing both to the MCU...just conjecture, but if you have other published information, please share

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 7/15/2022 at 5:31 PM, Ed Hanes said:

well I said I wanted to unload these to buy Romita ASM high grade covers...and I haven't seen anything on a commitment to bringing both to the MCU...just conjecture

As good a reason as any, have the hobby fund itself. (thumbsu  I need to try that more consistently.  But regarding X-Men in the MCU, you didn't get the memo?  Spoiler alert re Ms. Marvel show and Dr. S in the Multiverse of Madness!

Spoiler

In Ms. Marvel's final episode on Disney+, Kamala Khan was told she had a genetic mutation (essentially rewriting her formerly inhumans origin), and then an electric guitar in the soundtrack plays the first seven notes of the famous theme song from early 1990’s X-Men: The Animated Series, which incidentally also played during the appearance of Professor X in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness!  If that isn't a hint and a half (actually two) . . . .

Edited by Pantodude