• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,107 posts in this topic

On 6/28/2022 at 7:26 AM, Stefan_W said:

Even without the zero feedback bidder, the other bidder who always bids up his books and then retracts is pretty good evidence. 

Sounds like the type of eBay seller that buyers should be doing their best to avoid like the plague. (tsk) :mad:  

On 6/27/2022 at 5:27 PM, Troy Division said:

I wouldn't count the $2247 sale as a valid data point.
It was not 'sold' and eventually relisted.
(the 'winner' of the original auction had ZERO feedback and the seller's listing / photos are exactly the same)

I could only presume to know why the original winner bid so high...but do see a repeat bidder (3985 feedback) with 32% of their bids being with this seller.
(They also have 26 bid retractions in 12 months...)
Again, I can only presume to know about that second bidder's behavior too.

Capture 1.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

Capture 3.JPG

I've seen this where there is an anomoly and all it takes is to look at who bids on their item. In some cases, I've seen bid activity over 90% and it's for comics in the $1-$5 range. Shill. 

On 6/28/2022 at 12:27 PM, musicmeta said:

Yes Moon Knight dropping a bit.  Really like Moon Knight but the rise in prices seemed quite high IMYWO.  Coming back down to earth a bit now. 

Yep, I spec'd on a Moon Knight #1 in CGC 9.6 White for $300 before the show came out, but apparently I bought too late.  Goes for a fraction of that now.  Now I hold and wait for a movie or Season 2.  I think Ultimate Fallout 4 has ruined people's expectations for early appearances.

Edited by Rob

On 6/28/2022 at 9:43 PM, Rob said:

Yep, I spec'd on a Moon Knight #1 in CGC 9.6 White for $300 before the show came out, but apparently I bought too late.  Goes for a fraction of that now.  Now I hold and wait for another movie or Season 2.

I was fortunate to buy the early Moon Knight appearances like Werewolf By Night 32, 33, 27 and most of the Moon Knight first series books pretty cheap. Bought most of the books years and years ago before Moon Knight even being mentioned in TV/Movies.  The GPA sale for 9.6 was $222 so I don't think you're taking that much of a beating on it. 

Edited by musicmeta

On 6/28/2022 at 10:49 PM, musicmeta said:

I was fortunate to buy the early Moon Knight appearances like Werewolf By Night 32, 33, 27 and most of the Moon Knight first series books pretty cheap. Bought most of the books years and years ago before Moon Knight even being mentioned in TV/Movies.  The GPA sale for 9.6 was $222 so I don't think you're taking that much of a beating on it. 

I have always been a fan of Moon Knight and purchased almost all issues of every series of WBN and MK from the newsstand and/or my LCS and/or mail order. The few issues that for whatever reason I did not purchase as such, I acquired throughout the 1980s as well as purchasing more copies of the newsstand/LCS purchased issues (I'm compulsive that way). When I retire, so I keep telling myself, I'll see which copies are worth CGC grading in addition to the few "new" and back issue purchased copies I have had graded.

Of course, I continue to purchase the recent and current WBN and MK series (as if I needed to, considering the cost of new comic books even at a discount). (shrug)

On 6/28/2022 at 7:43 PM, Rob said:

Yep, I spec'd on a Moon Knight #1 in CGC 9.6 White for $300 before the show came out, but apparently I bought too late.  Goes for a fraction of that now.  Now I hold and wait for a movie or Season 2.  

I guess it's really a case of to each, their own. hm

Being a long term collector though, I've never really quite understood the concept of buying a book when it's already blown up in price and also knowing full well that it will eventually only end up cratering in price.  For me, I have always enjoyed the fun of spending time in the marketplace, as opposed to trying to time the market which is often not that easy to do.  (shrug)  (thumbsu

On 6/28/2022 at 7:43 PM, Rob said:

I think Ultimate Fallout 4 has ruined people's expectations for early appearances.

Not sure, but what's the latest on UF 4 as I thought it was probably the hottest Modern out there, or has it become the latest poster child for avoiding movie related hyped books, similar in vein to Eternals 1, SME 15, MSH 13, etc., etc............and the buyers of this book at the $30K+ price point might just be feeling a bit underwater right now?   ???   :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

On 6/29/2022 at 11:00 AM, lou_fine said:

Not sure, but what's the latest on UF 4 as I thought it was probably the hottest Modern out there, or has it become the latest poster child for avoiding movie related hyped books, similar in vein to Eternals 1, SME 15, MSH 13, etc., etc............and the buyers of this book at the $30K+ price point might just be feeling a bit underwater right now?   ???   :tonofbricks:

I believe a copy of the UF 4 variant recently sold for $40K.

On 6/29/2022 at 8:00 AM, lou_fine said:

I've never really quite understood the concept of buying a book when it's already blown up in price and also knowing full well that it will eventually only end up cratering in price. 

Well obviously if I knew full well that it would only end up cratering in price, I obviously wouldn't have bought it.  UF4 aside, when you see what other MCU characters' first appearances, or in this case 1st issue of their own title increased in value to, $300 did not feel at all like a plateau.

On 7/1/2022 at 10:31 PM, Rob said:

Well obviously if I knew full well that it would only end up cratering in price, I obviously wouldn't have bought it.  UF4 aside, when you see what other MCU characters' first appearances, or in this case 1st issue of their own title increased in value to, $300 did not feel at all like a plateau.

Well, that's why buying into movie related hyped books or buying into CGC 9.8 graded books which are otherwise relatively common and carries no real value is a tricky business and not as easy as it seems as it's all about trying to time the market perfectly before the bottom falls out.  :wishluck:

To each their own, but personally for myself, I prefer buying books which tends to carry value in all grades across the entire condition spectrum, and even more so, if they can sell for a premium or multiple to condition guide value, even in raw or restored condition as that's the sign of a true vintage collectible comic book.  (thumbsu

Like you said though, $300 DOES seem like a pretty safe point to jump into one of these #1 issue books, so what the heck.  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

On 6/28/2022 at 12:27 PM, musicmeta said:

Yes Moon Knight dropping a bit.  Really like Moon Knight but the rise in prices seemed quite high IMYWO.  Coming back down to earth a bit now. 

I just upgraded my WWBN 32 from a 7.0 to an 8.5 for virtually the same price I paid for the 7.0 a while ago. It's been falling pretty quickly. Still a pretty significant jump between an 8.5 and a 9.0 though. 

On 7/1/2022 at 11:06 PM, lou_fine said:

Like you said though, $300 DOES seem like a pretty safe point to jump into one of these #1 issue books, so what the heck.  :censored:

Yes, Lou, I too primarily collect vintage books that hold their value.  I made a single attempt into speculating, as my son likes Moon Knight, and it didn't work out for me.  Save me the lecture.

I am going to do a much slimmer recap of Session 3 when it closes next week.    When I get the numbers in the spreadsheet they may tell a different story - but it doesn't "feel" all that terrible for some of the books I have been looking at.   I have about a dozen books for sale in this Auction and the results, while mixed from book to book, have not been that far off of GPA in aggregate.    

And then there are just some books where prices just keep hanging on without a clear driver.    One example is Amazing Spider-Man #201.   Nice cover but not really a significant book - something like the 12th appearance of Punisher by this point.   A 9.8 just sold in this auction for 14% more than prior and 17% more than 90 Days (yes - the newsstand aspect may have driven some of this).    It is now hitting its 2021 peak numbers again and trading at +170% vs its 2020 average.     So issue #194 in 9.8 continues to decline (12 mos = $4704; 90 day = $4444; Last = $4001; and $3800 in this Clink auction)  but #201 is hanging on  (12 mos = $447; ; 90 day = $527; Last = $540 and $615 in this Clink auction)

1980123476_ScreenShot2022-07-02at10_37_17AM.thumb.png.40aef9154594c38fc8bdbd25dc2f6131.png

On 7/2/2022 at 12:53 PM, DC# said:

I am going to do a much slimmer recap of Session 3 when it closes next week.    When I get the numbers in the spreadsheet they may tell a different story - but it doesn't "feel" all that terrible for some of the books I have been looking at.   I have about a dozen books for sale in this Auction and the results, while mixed from book to book, have not been that far off of GPA in aggregate.    

And then there are just some books where prices just keep hanging on without a clear driver.    One example is Amazing Spider-Man #201.   Nice cover but not really a significant book - something like the 12th appearance of Punisher by this point.   A 9.8 just sold in this auction for 14% more than prior and 17% more than 90 Days (yes - the newsstand aspect may have driven some of this).    It is now hitting its 2021 peak numbers again and trading at +170% vs its 2020 average.     So issue #194 in 9.8 continues to decline (12 mos = $4704; 90 day = $4444; Last = $4001; and $3800 in this Clink auction)  but #201 is hanging on  (12 mos = $447; ; 90 day = $527; Last = $540 and $615 in this Clink auction)

1980123476_ScreenShot2022-07-02at10_37_17AM.thumb.png.40aef9154594c38fc8bdbd25dc2f6131.png

Did the Punisher get a new hair style (1st new hair style)?....or new shoes (1st app of new shoes)...etc...etc.. I guess it's just "The Punisher" and a bunch of people really like him.  I know I do. 

On 7/3/2022 at 3:53 AM, DC# said:

We're definitely seeing books holding value, or being pursued for being "great covers".   In the slab era, this is a real, and a tangible thing.    Classic covers, are hot property, and this book is on the list, not high up the list, but on it.   

Plus, $600 for a 9.8 early cover of Punisher on the biggest title, it's a bargain compared to everything else happening lately.

On 7/2/2022 at 10:03 AM, Rob said:

Yes, Lou, I too primarily collect vintage books that hold their value.  I made a single attempt into speculating, as my son likes Moon Knight, and it didn't work out for me.  Save me the lecture.

I could tell from your Batman 27 avatar that you was clearly also into collecting vintage comic books and really meant more as a general comment on the hobby more than anything else.  :foryou:

Heck, at least you was smart enough to have made only one speculative buy and that was for your son, whereas I have made hundreds of speculative buys back in the day and I don't think any of them has really worked out that well at all.  :facepalm:

Your $300 figure reminds me of a funny story that I have told on the MA boards here before.  Went into one of the suburban LCS's in my area in the latter part of the 80's and the owner hands me a book which he had special ordered for one of his customers.  Told me that he could also special order a copy for me direct from the publisher and it would only cost me $300.  Being a mainstream type of comic book collector, I opened up the book and thought right away who in their right mind would shell out $3 for this fugly putrid piece of toxic looking doggie poo poo, let alone 300 big ones.  Boy, what kind of a no-brain idiott or sucker did he think I was.  Handed the book back to the LCS owner as fast as I could and if this had been 2021 or 2022, would have gone for the bottle of hand sanitizer as fast as I could.  lol

To make matters even worse, being a Miller fan at the time, I ended up instead ordering a signed and numbered limited eidtion of the Dark Knight for $40 which is probably worth less than that nowadays, which is certainly not the case for the TMNT 1 which I had just passed up on.  doh!  :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine