• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,107 posts in this topic

On 7/3/2022 at 12:36 AM, lou_fine said:

:foryou:

Heck, at least you was smart enough to have made only one speculative buy and that was for your son, whereas I have made hundreds of speculative buys back in the day and I don't think any of them has really worked out that well at all.  :facepalm:

doh!  :tonofbricks:

Dearest Lou,

1 of these days, your dealer 10 packs of these spec comics :Rocket: will come in: Shogun Warriors 1, Fish Police 1 (b/w), X-force 1, Young Blood 1, Black Lightning 1, Omega the Unknown #1 (Marvel can't loose).

On 7/8/2022 at 3:05 AM, aardvark88 said:

Dearest Lou,

1 of these days, your dealer 10 packs of these spec comics :Rocket: will come in: Shogun Warriors 1, Fish Police 1 (b/w), X-force 1, Young Blood 1, Black Lightning 1, Omega the Unknown #1 (Marvel can't loose).

Black Lightning #1 is a seriously cool book!

On 7/7/2022 at 9:22 PM, Beige said:
On 7/7/2022 at 12:05 PM, aardvark88 said:

Dearest Lou,

Expand  

Black Lightning #1 is a seriously cool book!

I can agree on black lightning, I only watched the show a few times, but DC seems on the back burner sometimes, as is the case with watching the show.

Still I give it an A for effort. I'm not old enough to know perception of bronze books that well, I surely thought hero for hire would be more of a component for marvel, but at least it DOES hold value if collecting for that purpose.  :)

On 7/3/2022 at 12:36 AM, lou_fine said:

Heck, at least you was smart enough to have made only one speculative buy and that was for your son, whereas I have made hundreds of speculative buys back in the day and I don't think any of them has really worked out that well at all.  :facepalm:

On 7/7/2022 at 10:05 AM, aardvark88 said:

Dearest Lou,

Dearest aardvark;

I guess it depends on what your definition of speculative buy is as I have never ever brought a 10 pack of comics before.  By speculative buy, I generally mean buying a single copy of a comic book with the thought in mind that it might eventually go up in value, more than for the story and book itself.  If I have more than one copy of a book, it's usually because of a purchasing error because I forgot that I had that book in my collection already.  (thumbsu

As for that list of losers you have up there, I actually do have a copy of Omega 1and probably Fish Police 1.  Yep, got pretty nutso and embarrassed to admit it, but fell into that horrid B&W trap in the late 80's and ending up buying a few of those early Aircel loser titles, Albedo's (exc #2), Usagi's, early Valiant's, etc.  And yes, I do remember doing a spec buy in terms of purchasing 5 copies of that Magnus 12 with the Turok first valiant appearance and also the same with that black Solar 10 cover due to all of the hype at the time.  :facepalm:

The only good thing about that is that it pretty much got me out of buying new books as they just simply got far too expensive with the Deathmate issues and all after that.  Like any addict though, have relasped every now and then like when the Afterlife Archie titles came out a few years ago, as I had always liked the Archie character and the Riverdale TV show was just starting up and thought their take on the characters were rather interesting at the time.  doh!

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/8/2022 at 11:04 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Prices are still very high for vintage watches. Even if they drop another 20%, a Rolex Submariner is out of reach for me.

Edited by piper

On 7/10/2022 at 12:47 AM, piper said:

Prices are still very high for vintage watches. Even if they drop another 20%, a Rolex Submariner is out of reach for me.

Yeah - Even with prices dropping, they're still well above 2021. 

On 7/10/2022 at 12:47 AM, piper said:

I don't know anything about that market.  There's nothing about those watches that would pique my interest as a collector / investor, and while that of course shouldn't matter to anyone, more broadly I'm not sure what would make anyone suddenly take interest in them who wasn't already into them for whatever reason -- whereas I do understand how movies and other pop culture appearances attract new collectors and investors to comics.  Same for cards -- new sports fans are born every minute.  But who wants or needs a watch when we're all carrying supercomputers in our pockets?  Seems like a true vanity purchase with a very limited market when you finally decide to liquidate your investment, but again that's coming from a place of ignorance.

Getting back to the point of this thread though, I thought that article was interesting in that its premise aligns with a broader observation / prediction about the comics market in the post-pandemic, post-crypto era.

On 7/10/2022 at 5:44 PM, dikran1 said:

Just got back from our big Montreal Comic-Con. Gotta say dealers here are oblivious to any dips/crashes/going to zero in the market, everything priced well above recent averages. So there’s that. 

I am sure they are well aware of it.  :gossip:

They are simply hoping that you, as a potential buyer, are oblivious to any dips/crashes/going to zero in the market.  lol

On 7/10/2022 at 10:42 PM, lou_fine said:

I am sure they are well aware of it.  :gossip:

They are simply hoping that you, as a potential buyer, are oblivious to any dips/crashes/going to zero in the market.  lol

Maybe oblivious is the wrong word, they just don’t care. The prevailing attitude was “you dont like it? Go buy it on eBay.”

On 7/9/2022 at 12:44 PM, lou_fine said:

... And yes, I do remember doing a spec buy in terms of purchasing 5 copies of that Magnus 12 with the Turok first valiant appearance and also the same with that black Solar 10 cover due to all of the hype at the time.  :facepalm:

If you just need to get your cover price investment back, I'll take them all.

On 7/11/2022 at 11:04 AM, valiantman said:
On 7/9/2022 at 10:44 AM, lou_fine said:

... And yes, I do remember doing a spec buy in terms of purchasing 5 copies of that Magnus 12 with the Turok first valiant appearance and also the same with that black Solar 10 cover due to all of the hype at the time.  :facepalm:

With you being such a long time and upstanding boardie here, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if you end up having to pay for my purchasing mistakes.  lol

Especially since you might be tempted to send them into that big big CCS/CGC conglomerate which will only end up charging you huge dollars to store the books for you until late 2023 or possibly even early 2024 before you get then back.  By then, the value of the books might have cratered by another 50% leaving you so deep in the hole that you won't be able to see any sunlight at all.  Now, that's definitely something that I could never ever do to a fellow boardie.  :bigsmile:

On 7/12/2022 at 12:09 AM, lou_fine said:
On 7/11/2022 at 1:04 PM, valiantman said:
On 7/9/2022 at 12:44 PM, lou_fine said:

With you being such a long time and upstanding boardie here, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if you end up having to pay for my purchasing mistakes.  lol

Especially since you might be tempted to send them into that big big CCS/CGC conglomerate which will only end up charging you huge dollars to store the books for you until late 2023 or possibly even early 2024 before you get then back.  By then, the value of the books might have cratered by another 50% leaving you so deep in the hole that you won't be able to see any sunlight at all.  Now, that's definitely something that I could never ever do to a fellow boardie.  :bigsmile:

Cover price for those 6 books would be under $25 total. I think I'll survive a 100% drop. Just let me know if $25 covers your speculation mistake and we'll both be winners. lol