• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,108 posts in this topic

On 7/12/2022 at 2:43 PM, valiantman said:

Cover price for those 6 books would be under $25 total. I think I'll survive a 100% drop. Just let me know if $25 covers your speculation mistake and we'll both be winners. lol

Also, weren't those books HUGE successes as far as specs go?  If you sold back then, you killed it.  If you held, well, you still did ok.  

The comic collectibles market is going to experience a correction like never before. Not even close to like anything it has seen in the past. Hopefully such an adjustment will jar some people back to a mindset of fiscal sanity. Say goodbye to this current economic system that we have endured since the early 1900s. Free at last...

On 7/14/2022 at 10:03 AM, blazingbob said:

I wish people actively tracking the comic market like the stock market would take a step back and look at the big picture and landscape change over the last 6-9 months.

With covid lockdowns there were no conventions.  

No conventions and buyers buying online on venues that track and report GPA sales results in more data reporting.

Almost NO convention sales are reported to GPA.  As more conventions open,  less data makes it way to GPA.  Therefore your primary GPA sales data is basically Comiconnect, Heritage,  Ebay and a few reporters.  

In addition to a more limited data input there are more and more "Streaming sales". 

Whatsnot sales data?  

Instagram sellers?

Any of those being reported to GPA?  Not that I know of.  

In addition,  Free stimulus money.  Free money to a comic collector results in free money to buy books.   

That party ended last year.

Now it's back to looking in the wallet and seeing what is available to spend.  

Good books,  good eye appeal,  universal character appeal instead of just your own opinion will always provide liquidity to your ability to buy and sell something.  

If you want to know how hot your book is test the dealer reaction if you try to sell them it or use it in a trade. 

This makes a lot of sense.  Fewer reported sales will skew GPA data.  Or does it?  You and others in the categories you list as having been affected by the covid holiday never reported data to GPA.  All these sales have always been invisible.  But GPA kept tracking what it gets… and was as accurate as it could be from its sources.  GPA is still posting sales from the same places, so in their subset of sales data, conclusions can still be drawn from it.  Also, GPA numbers always require a greater understanding to interpret.  It’s always best for Spidey 361, she hulk 1 etc etc … any comic that changes hands rapidly and often.  And has never been as helpful with sales of older more expensive and rarely sold books.  Well, that hasn’t changed either.  And, this thread has a board member didligently comparing ONLY Comiclink data — apples to apples —  certainly Comiclink sales have been an accurate barometer of what’s going up and down, hot and cold.

so, I think your explanations has merit, but not as a blanket statement about comics pricing as a whole across the board. It’s always been fragmented …a draw your own conclusions thing.  what we need of course is MORE data,   Ahem.

On 7/14/2022 at 10:50 AM, blazingbob said:

Actually I thought the poster was invoking some interesting "Feel".  A little Paul Volker/Alan Greenspan,  Martin Luther King,  maybe even a little Jamie Dimon from this morning's earning report.  

Certainly weaving a fanciful narrative.  I personally can't wait to return to the economic paradise that was 1890s America.  Free at last...

On 7/14/2022 at 10:58 AM, Aman619 said:

This makes a lot of sense.  Fewer reported sales will skew GPA data.  Or does it?  You and others in the categories you list as having been affected by the covid holiday never reported data to GPA.  All these sales have always been invisible.  But GPA kept tracking what it gets… and was as accurate as it could be from its sources.  GPA is still posting sales from the same places, so in their subset of sales data, conclusions can still be drawn from it.  Also, GPA numbers always require a greater understanding to interpret.  It’s always best for Spidey 361, she hulk 1 etc etc … any comic that changes hands rapidly and often.  And has never been as helpful with sales of older more expensive and rarely sold books.  Well, that hasn’t changed either.  And, this thread has a board member didligently comparing ONLY Comiclink data — apples to apples —  certainly Comiclink sales have been an accurate barometer of what’s going up and down, hot and cold.

so, I think your explanations has merit, but not as a blanket statement about comics pricing as a whole across the board. It’s always been fragmented …a draw your own conclusions thing.  what we need of course is MORE data,   Ahem.

Some information is better then none but be open to the possibility that there are other sources out there to consider.  

On 7/14/2022 at 10:03 AM, blazingbob said:

I wish people actively tracking the comic market like the stock market would take a step back and look at the big picture and landscape change over the last 6-9 months.

With covid lockdowns there were no conventions.  

No conventions and buyers buying online on venues that track and report GPA sales results in more data reporting.

Almost NO convention sales are reported to GPA.  As more conventions open,  less data makes it way to GPA.  Therefore your primary GPA sales data is basically Comiconnect, Heritage,  Ebay and a few reporters.  

In addition to a more limited data input there are more and more "Streaming sales". 

Whatsnot sales data?  

Instagram sellers?

Any of those being reported to GPA?  Not that I know of.  

In addition,  Free stimulus money.  Free money to a comic collector results in free money to buy books.   

That party ended last year.

Now it's back to looking in the wallet and seeing what is available to spend.  

Good books,  good eye appeal,  universal character appeal instead of just your own opinion will always provide liquidity to your ability to buy and sell something.  

If you want to know how hot your book is test the dealer reaction if you try to sell them it or use it in a trade. 

Whatsnot sales data?  

Instagram sellers?

GPA should just have a category for NerdyGirl sales.  I swear all of the geek boys go crazy for her and her friends sales on WhatNot and Instagram.  I will watch for a while, but honestly can't believe how some of the guys trip over themselves trying to show who has the biggest bankroll.

On 7/14/2022 at 11:37 AM, toro said:

Whatsnot sales data?  

Instagram sellers?

GPA should just have a category for NerdyGirl sales.  I swear all of the geek boys go crazy for her and her friends sales on WhatNot and Instagram.  I will watch for a while, but honestly can't believe how some of the guys trip over themselves trying to show who has the biggest bankroll.

I couldn't agree more about whatnot.  Blows my mind that someone will pay $25 for a FN copy of Avengers #335 when you can get a NM copy for $5 (or less) all over ebay. This is just one of thousands of examples on whatnot. 

I feel like I'm missing something. Noone in their right mind would do that.....would they?

On 7/14/2022 at 11:04 AM, blazingbob said:

Some information is better then none but be open to the possibility that there are other sources out there to consider.  

The thing mentioned that I think is also affecting sales data in gpa are sales at conventions. I have beem to two shows in the past 3 months and bought some expensive books.  Not only won't those sales show in GPA but I used the money at the shows that would have spent in an online auction.  I believe shows have to be hurting auction prices some.

Edited by jeffreyk

On 7/14/2022 at 1:45 PM, jeffreyk said:

The thing mentioned that I think is also affecting sales data in gpa are sales at conventions. I have beem to two shows in the past 3 months and bought some expensive books.  Not only won't those sales show in GPA but I used the money at the shows that would have spent in an online auction.  I believe shows have to be hurting auction prices some.

Was what you paid in line with GPA averages?  Above?  Below?

On 7/14/2022 at 8:37 AM, toro said:

Whatsnot sales data?  

Instagram sellers?

AND they managed to crowdfund their trip to SDCC. So despite routinely buying and selling five- and six-figure books, they’re pocketing thousands more from “fans.” Wild. 

I just sold a slew of comics on MCS auctions..everything I bought between summer 2021 and jan 2022 ( I bought at FMV posted by online source )..these were all impulsive buys ...and yes..I was a fool to buy them (we will get to the reason why in a second) but to my defense, I suck at saving money and how I prevent myself from spending money on useless stuff? ..is to buy comics I can sell later. 

What I had were some silver age ASM, FF and Xmen, some golden age (whiz comics 155, captain marvel 80, tracy feature book 6 and batman 80), bronze age ASM, Avengers 196. I did really great on the whiz comic...only made my money back on the ASM and the other golden age but lost a lot on the Xmen and FF...overall I lost about 15-20 % on my return.  I still have some bronze age and modern at auction in this auction group but it's not looking good for Young Avengers 1 and Marvel team up 141...although my ASM 4 first silk is doing pretty good

Just my two cents worth..my regret is putting my money into the silver age FF and Xmen (except for the FF 48/49 I am keeping)...that was a really bad call...live and learn

Anyway, I have been selling on MCS since last September, trying to get rid of all my impulsive buys over the pandemic (maybe I am not alone)  ..this was my first significant loss ...luckily my earlier sales compensated for this one

BTW, I have noticed a very significant rise in listings on MCS website (non auction) of silver age ASM's over the past couple months

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 7/14/2022 at 8:22 PM, Ed Hanes said:

I just sold a slew of comics on MCS auctions..everything I bought between summer 2021 and jan 2022 ( I bought at FMV posted by online source )..these were all impulsive buys ...and yes..I was a fool to buy them (we will get to the reason why in a second) but to my defense, I suck at saving money and how I prevent myself from spending money on useless stuff? ..is to buy comics I can sell later. 

What I had were some silver age ASM, FF and Xmen, some golden age (whiz comics 155, captain marvel 80, tracy feature book 6 and batman 80), bronze age ASM, Avengers 196. I did really great on the whiz comic...only made my money back on the ASM and the other golden age but lost a lot on the Xmen and FF...overall I lost about 15-20 % on my return.  I still have some bronze age and modern at auction in this auction group but it's not looking good for Young Avengers 1 and Marvel team up 141...although my ASM 4 first silk is doing pretty good

Just my two cents worth..my regret is putting my money into the silver age FF and Xmen (except for the FF 48/49 I am keeping)...that was a really bad call...live and learn

Anyway, I have been selling on MCS since last September, trying to get rid of all my impulsive buys over the pandemic (maybe I am not alone)  ..this was my first significant loss ...luckily my earlier sales compensated for this one

BTW, I have noticed a very significant rise in listings on MCS website (non auction) of silver age ASM's over the past couple months

Appreciate you sharing. I'm surprised that your Silver Age FF and X-Men did not do well. Usually that stuff is like gold. 

On 7/14/2022 at 9:00 PM, Motor City Rob said:

Appreciate you sharing. I'm surprised that your Silver Age FF and X-Men did not do well. Usually that stuff is like gold. 

I have been tracking SA X-men and FF since last summer.... they have lost a great deal of value since their peak in the pandemic..pretty much across the board, with a couple exceptions (like FF 49) ...and this includes all X-men thru the end of the Phoenix saga story (138?), even 101 and 129 ( I sold two of these (CGC 5.0 and 9.2 and lost money)). My guess is that there is no future of X-men or FF in the MCU...I don't really know. The market for these two has seemed to reset to prices we saw in 2019/early 2020..which is still decent for those who bought a while back. I wanted to unload these and put the money into high grade Romita ASM covers ..I was willing to take the loss ...but anyway..good time to buy FF and Xmen ..they have probably bottomed out in price or maybe wait till end of summer

Edited by Ed Hanes