• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 10/30/2022 at 1:55 PM, lou_fine said:

Being the good fellow boardie that I am, I will step up to the plate and take this piece of BA drek off your hands at top of guide in order to relieve you from your long years of suffering and trauma by having this POS toxic book devaluing the rest of your collection.  :bigsmile:  :takeit:

Sure thing.  Just give me a 9.6 WP copy and this 9.4 drek is yours.  lol

On 10/30/2022 at 12:52 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Sure thing.  Just give me a 9.6 WP copy and this 9.4 drek is yours.  lol

Even better than a stone cold dead and long forgotten book like Avengers 93, I'll even up the ante and give you a 9.6 copy of BOTH the hot (or not) She-Hulk 1 and Eternals 1 which all of today's generation of speculators and day traders are so much more familiar with.  :bigsmile:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

On 10/30/2022 at 7:56 AM, DC# said:

You can search by title and just check sold items only in the search to see final results which is at least something.     As has been said before, they primarily deal with cards and sports memorabilia so the comic, toy, and video game auctions tend to be a lot less frequent.    Also seem to be getting more and more into movie memorabilia

Here are some other Goldin results from yesterday - a mix of soft and in the range of current pricing.    But there was nothing that was 40-50% lower than current values or recent sales like IH 181.     And Goldin has moved some really big books at new records this past year (Batman 1, Action 1, Detective 27, Superman 1, etc.) so they are able to get to some of the right people......

But overall hard to disagree that it is not a primary vehicle for selling comics - for buyers or sellers.  

FF #1 6.5 - $43.2k (soft - but maybe a sign of trend?)

FF #1 5.0 - $25.5k. (soft - but maybe a sign of trend?)

FF #5 6.0 - $16.8k (in the range)

ASM #1 3.5 - $11.2k (in the range)

Superman #1 3.0 - $420k (in the range as much as one can tell)

Batman #1 2.0 - $174k (soft - at least seems to be given last sales)

X-Men #1 7.0 - 28.8k (in the range)

X-Men #1 5.0 - $15.6k (soft)

AF #15 1.5 - $19.3k (in the range)

AF #15 5.0 - $50.4k (probably in the range given price trends.   This is higher than this past week's Clink result)

JIM #83 7.0 - $28.8k. (probably in range given price trends)

And I just added the Bat and Super #1 to the Six Figure Club thread.  

That's the same Superman #1 copy they had listed earlier this year that sold for $720k :whatthe:.  Talk about a huge loss for the consignor :facepalm::eek:

On 10/30/2022 at 7:37 PM, Dark Knight said:

That's the same Superman #1 copy they had listed earlier this year that sold for $720k :whatthe:.  Talk about a huge loss for the consignor :facepalm::eek:

What was the grade on this Superman 1 and can you provide us with a link to both of these Goldin auction lots?  :)

On 10/30/2022 at 9:08 PM, DC# said:

Thanks for providing the links to both of these auctions for us here.  :applause:

I guess this goes to show that it's never a good idea to try to speculate and try to flip a book so soon, especially if you had paid top dollar for the book in the first place.  doh!

Either that, or since I noticed that the reserve was met on the second go round, is it possible that the winning bidder from the February auction might not have gone through with the auction in the end.  Especially since it would be rather strange to place such a low reserve on the book right after having paid so much more for it.  hm  (shrug)

On 10/31/2022 at 12:08 AM, DC# said:

Ouch, there's just such a limited collector base for $100K+ books that I wouldn't be surprised to see more volatility in GA keys given their big runups recently. Same goes for all the esoteric Golden/Atom Age books that have been selling for crazy prices lately, especially lower/mid-grade copies.

On 10/31/2022 at 2:48 AM, lou_fine said:

Thanks for providing the links to both of these auctions for us here.  :applause:

I guess this goes to show that it's never a good idea to try to speculate and try to flip a book so soon, especially if you had paid top dollar for the book in the first place.  doh!

Either that, or since I noticed that the reserve was met on the second go round, is it possible that the winning bidder from the February auction might not have gone through with the auction in the end.  Especially since it would be rather strange to place such a low reserve on the book right after having paid so much more for it.  hm  (shrug)

Or maybe it didn't sell in the first place

Clearly this seller is suffering from the new Comic disease sweeping the scene.

CPE - Comic Profit Envy for those uninformed and wondering how did they make money and I didn't.

CLD is also starting to pop up in a few spots.

Comic Loss Disorder - Putting books in 2nd Tier auction houses and expecting good results.

Edited by blazingbob

On 10/26/2022 at 12:36 PM, MAR1979 said:

As always my post does not refer or allude to Silver/Atomic/Gold - think I'll add that to my sig

Early Bronze does quite well, also…

…just sayin’ :shy:

On 10/30/2022 at 7:26 PM, Off Panel said:

I still think of those two as the pinnacle, even though others are worth more money today.

Yes, I agree. 
Everything about them is iconic and I’m very grateful to own both. I prefer 121 but I do love my 122 signed by both Kane and JRS. 

On 10/30/2022 at 12:26 PM, Off Panel said:

I still think of those two as the pinnacle, even though others are worth more money today.

wow - I would take anything DC rather than those steaming piles.